SFA / Southeastern Louisiana

31,937 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Win #1!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Well, an ugly W is a W. That's all that matters. We're one game better than at this time last year.
RedRiverLa
It's a win.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA Jack Fanatic
We shot 27 free throws to their 9. That played a big part. They actually outshot us from the field.
Pilotgirl
Looks like HBU is gonna beat Lamar....up by 9 and 5 min to go....
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

If that holds up, that would be a big surprise.
KirkHeath12
Angry Axe beer for the win.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
Pilotgirl
edstile said:

Pilotgirl said:

They only lost to Miami by 7, which is respectable IMO. Didn't they take out someone big time in non-conference??? Hmmm I think so.
BigJack85
I think ACU is going to be a real challenge. Lamar maybe....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

edstile said:

Pilotgirl said:

They only lost to Miami by 7, which is respectable IMO. Didn't they take out someone big time in non-conference??? Hmmm I think so.
Going to OT.
Pilotgirl
Lamar vs HBU....OT !!
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Ah, yes. Playing in that Cracker Jack box gym.
Pilotgirl
Yep...i forget i am watching college ball in that small gym!
Pilotgirl
edstile said:

Pilotgirl said:

HBU is gonna win this one. 88-80 over Lamar.
Pilotgirl
HBU has come to play ya'll. Gonna have some new schools in the middle/running to the Conference tourney....my prediction.
SFA Jack Fanatic
After one whole game, conference is looking like it's going to be a race between SFA, ACU, and a bunch of also-rans.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Box score said attendance was 3,100. Hmmm... Sounds like they're counting season ticket holders again. Nacluth, you were there. Any truth to that rumor?
Pilotgirl
edstile said:

Box score said attendance was 3,100. Hmmm... Sounds like they're counting season ticket holders again. Nacluth, you were there. Any truth to that rumor?
They count tickets sold....so yes, Season Ticket holders included. I wish they would do an accurate count....how difficult is that?!
nacluth
Includes presold tickets. Was over 1500 but well shy of 3000. The crowd that was there was into it down the stretch, but no students hurts.
nacluth
Are we doing pressers any more? I like those almost as much as the game.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Are we doing pressers any more? I like those almost as much as the game.
I agree!
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm totally confused about how the coaches are using (or not using) Jock. He got into the game in the first couple of minutes, played two minutes, and never saw the floor again. I just don't understand that. It's still early, but If they keep that up, they could lose him after this year, the way they lost Fisher by not playing him last year.
nacluth
Agree. It was about 40 seconds. He committed a turnover, never saw the court again. Oddyst got two minutes in two chunks, but committed the reckless foul and sat. Of course it was a close game, but he's definitely siding with Mitch over the other freshmen.
PurpleOut
Staff
I stuck around and stayed through the week and took the family tonight. Kids made the dance cam. Crowd was dead for 90% of the game. Disappointing but not surprising. Good win, it was ugly but I'm not too concerned about it being "that" ugly because our games with SLU normally like that.

Thought we adjusted well at halftime, worked to get Veal off of Shannon with screens and it helped. Fitz ended with the double double but was struggling, especially around the basket. If he can get those to go then we can roll.

And obviously Comeaux. I think he's great off the bench and his defense is such a great addition to the season. Did a great job on Veal tonight.

The officials tonight were arguably the worst we've had. Again it's not the missing of calls, it's just not knowing how to call a game and knowing the rules. Whoever it was a few weeks ago that mentioned that refs deserve the criticism as any paid professional would is spot on. These guys tonight didn't have it. I've never seen a player hang on the rim for 2-3 seconds and not get the tech. That should never happen. At one point the media table had to blow the horn twice because the refs didn't know to signal for the media timeout. And missing the flagrant 2 was laughable as well. The job they did tonight was embarrassing to the sport, but what else is new in this day and age.

Good win again, it's a big one to start conference play.
BigJack85
Great commentary. Really gives a better feel for the game than watching on tv.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

SFA_03 said:

They just said our free throw percentage on ESPN. There's no way we're that bad...
We are one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the country. Yes, we're that bad.
276 of 351 D1 teams
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

I'm totally confused about how the coaches are using (or not using) Jock. He got into the game in the first couple of minutes, played two minutes, and never saw the floor again. I just don't understand that. It's still early, but If they keep that up, they could lose him after this year, the way they lost Fisher by not playing him last year.
Hughes is lost on defense. That must improve for him to get minutes. Players earn minutes.

Fisher is averaging 1.9 rebounds and 3.4 ppg at Trinity Valley. Perhaps he is not very good?
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

Hughes is lost on defense. That must improve for him to get minutes. Players earn minutes.

Fisher is averaging 1.9 rebounds and 3.4 ppg at Trinity Valley. Perhaps he is not very good?

Some guys just don't do things well. Perhaps a product of the AAU system, all offense all the time, perhaps they just have to be taught.

If we lose Jock or any other player cause they can't adapt to our style, then so be it.

I applause Keller for sticking to his guns. Whether the players like it or not, you either play his way, or you don't play at all.
PurpleOut
Staff
Veal had 10 points, 5 assists and 10 turnovers. Advantage us.
slulionsfan
PurpleOut said:

He's playing with a torn meniscus that needs surgery. He's giving us everything he's got but not the same player unfortunately. Congrats on the win. I'm sure we will see you again in the tournament.
nacluth
Back by popular demand are my post shower game thoughts.

I thought that this would be an interior showdown based on the the way the teams match up, and it basically was. Keller kept pushing the ball inside to Fitz and Seraille. The key seemed to be to stop Greenwood and keep the rebounding game in control. I thought limiting Greenwood under 12 would win us the game, and at nine points 5 rebounds we basically made him a non-factor. Fitz slowly worked his double-double by pounding the boards and go for shot after shot though he couldn't hit anything for the longest. But the slow interior war went our way, and it was the difference in the end. It made for an ugly, ugly half, but credit the coaching staff for not giving up on the game plan even when execution is dying a slow death.

If I can give a strong compliment before I make some criticisms. The criticisms aren't against the player personally - just pointing out the obvious. Mitch Seraille is a better freshman player than TJ Holyfield was. He plays great. His shot blocking is on time. He finds space off the ball. He plays with energy throughout. I'm excited to see him and TJ in tandem next year. Mitch has butter fingers. He cannot control the ball in close and at speed. This is just a function of the much quicker pace of play. He just can't get the ball where he wants to go, and the fast inside breaks are rough. His body is at full speed but the ball is behind. He is as good as you can want out of a freshman, but he's going to get much better when he gets bigger and in more control. Until then, we're going to see a lot of missed shots and turnovers in close. But he will be good.

This is a different team than we have seen the past two years. Obviously we have different personnel, but what I mean, is we are playing a completely different style. Keller has shown an affinity for the hi-lo offense that can lead to some exciting basketball when combined with a stiff man-to-man pressure defense. Jams and stuffs all game long. As we noticed year one, it takes practice and maturity in the system. Unfortunately with our two best inside players in that style, TJ and Sammy on the bench, Fitz and Mitch are struggling picking up the timing. So we're working with what we have. Better players.

Our guys match up better one to one against any other SLC player. That's why we've moved to an isolation game that Isaac loathes. Our team right now is not better than the other teams, so we're playing player on player. Bogues is better than anyone that they want to put up - anyone. Kevon is going to get through most teams. Fitz is better than most big men. Nicholas is going to use his spin move to get by people. Bain is going to jump over everyone, and now John is going to try to run past every set up. If we get teams to play our players instead of our team, we will win. It's not as good as having a good team, but it's what's going to make us get to Aaron coming back. Aaron and John can run a team - especially with a little of Shannon thrown in. We're going to have (please, please) a good team by March, but for now we're just going to roll with the best talent. A million misses from four feet can make that idea look terrible, but it's going to work. Stay with us.

Don't overlook the significance of this game for the rough play. If we had lost, it was going to be another 17 game sprint to the end. We bought ourselves some more time. One week to prep for Nicholls at their home - another big test. Veal and his team are going to wreck shop this year. I hope we don't see them in Katy, but they will be there somewhere. He had 5 assists and 10 turnovers. I'm giving our defense a B+ and theirs a B-. We had execution problems, but they rode our back the whole way.

Kevon is our best defender. I've said it before, but here it is again. He didn't get credited with any steals, but at crunch time in our move ahead in the second he caused four turnovers in four consecutive possessions. He plays inside other people's comfort zones. Comeaux and Bogues are going to rack up steals, but Kevon is the key to our lockdown defense.

Deuce is not moving off the ball well. He runs his rotations, but he's lacking Bogues' innate ability to make the right move to find space. He's planting in the spot he's supposed to be, but by the time the ball gets there, he's got no shot. It's a freshman thing. I don't think it's an insult to him or Oddyst that they aren't getting time. Keller doesn't play freshman (except Seraille - see above). Aaron had to play his freshman year because Cameron just couldn't cover a full game at point, but I bet Keller would have sit him if he could. Hughes will get it, but maybe not this year - definitely not before we get to the "team" style play instead of the "player" style game we have now.

TLDR - We won. Mitch is good. Bogues is the GOAT. 1-0 in conference. Looks good from the top.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
slulionsfan said:

PurpleOut said:

He's playing with a torn meniscus that needs surgery. He's giving us everything he's got but not the same player unfortunately. Congrats on the win. I'm sure we will see you again in the tournament.

He didn't look like the same player last night. A bummer(most nights) because he's one of the most exciting players to watch in this conference.
TallTexan
"Mitch Seraille is a better freshman player than TJ Holyfield was. He plays great. His shot blocking is on time. He finds space off the ball. He plays with energy throughout. I'm excited to see him and TJ in tandem next year. Mitch has butter fingers. He cannot control the ball in close and at speed. This is just a function of the much quicker pace of play. He just can't get the ball where he wants to go, and the fast inside breaks are rough. His body is at full speed but the ball is behind. He is as good as you can want out of a freshman, but he's going to get much better when he gets bigger and in more control. Until then, we're going to see a lot of missed shots and turnovers in close. But he will be good."

I really hope we get to see them play together. I think an offseason with TJ will do wonders for Mitch's career. What Mitch has in athleticism, TJ has in excellent technique.

Plus they'd go off on the court. Imagine running an Aaron, Hughes?, Kevon, Mitch, TJ, lineup next season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Back by popular demand are my post shower game thoughts.

Once again, a fantastic post-shower commentary, Ryan. I give you an A+ on this one.

I have to disagree with you on one thing, though. You said that we couldn't hit anything inside four feet. Wrong! We couldn't hit anything inside 2 1/2 feet, especially Fitz. If we make half of those we win by 15.

Give SELA some credit. They play a dirty dog style of basketball and play it well. It's been tough to win against them every time. I have no doubt they'll make the conference tournament.

You said that you can't wait to see Mitch and TJ play together next year. Here's hoping (praying?) that TJ decides to come back and make that happen. It would be a magical year, with our returnees and the two stud recruits we have coming in.

By the way, anyone know how those two recruits are performing this year? I'm having trouble finding stats on them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.