SFA / Southeastern Louisiana

31,483 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (7-5) vs. Southeastern Louisiana (4-9)

WHEN: JAN. 2 (WED) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: WRJ Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

Southland Conference play starts in Nacogdoches with a rematch of the last SLC game played in Katy last year. SELA and SFA get to pull out the measuring stick real fast to see who's going to have the target on their back for the season. SELA has spent most of their fall being destroyed in money games by P5 teams with their top win being a one point slide by Tulane.

Led by last year's SLC Defensive POY point guard Marlain Veal, SELA has struggled this year offensively. They haven't quite figured out how to replicate their inside-out style from last year's first place team. Freshman Parker Edwards made some noise going ballistic off the bench from deep against LSU, but after that one outburst, the Lions have stayed cold from outside making less than 30% of threes. Turning over the ball an average of 17 times a game has seen SELA lose to Mississippi Valley State and the powerhouse California Baptist. Ball control and shooting struggles have limited this team, but their one point loss at home against Louisiana-Lafayette last game was probably their best effort of the year.

SFA knows this is a grudge match. Technically we got our revenge on last year's loss in the finals, but the SLC's insistence on scheduling due to proximity of schools instead of strength of schools gives SELA another easy schedule. In fact, it's the same schedule that saw SELA win the game against SFA and stay away for the SLC crown. No way SFA is going to let this game go easy this year. Keller knows that this win is worth two down the road. It's hard to say the first Southland game is a must win, but this team and the veterans feel it.

John Comeaux gets to back up his stunning debut with a chance to solidify the point position against the best point in the conference. Limiting turnovers and getting the offensive boards is going to be the key. Our inside talent should give us the edge, but we cannot get into foul trouble early. Bogues and Harris just have to play like normal. This should be a relatively good matchup after our last two D1 opponents, but we can't come in as top dogs. We have to play with a chip on our shoulder.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Great assessment. I think we have a chance to really show some improvement starting now! The level of competition is just a notch below what we've just seen (Alabama) and we looked for a few moments like the 2014-2015 squad.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Good preview, Nacluth. You're getting pretty good at this stuff. And I had no idea that California Baptist was a powerhouse. Who knew??

And where's our Lumberjack GIF??
nacluth
Game day!!! Time to tame the lion cubs.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Here's some season stats for you to peruse. Things I find interesting: Jock has more blocks than Fitz or Bain in very limited time. Comeaux's offensive output equaled Aaron's three games (of course no arm injury), but also puts him on pace to be another point generator.

SFA Jack Fanatic
I didn't realize that Jock has scored 41 points. Other than the one game in which he had multiple threes at the end, I can't recall him scoring much at all. I think he'll have a breakout game at some point if he's ever given enough court time. But he's a freshman and I know Coach K is bringing him along slowly due to his defense (or lack thereof).

And we sure miss those steals and assists that Aaron had in his few games.
RedRiverLa
Well, here we are, time to find out if the long non-conference phrase we were using has any merit. "We should be ready by conference time". I wasn't sure until the Bama game, but I'm feeling like we are. However, after stunning non-conference successes last year and the prediction of going through the conference like a hot knife, we stumbled out of the gate. Last year I kept saying Keller was a great coach, and luckily he proved it. However, I think how this team performs this year with all the injuries, sicknesses, and so forth, will either solidify my 'great coach' theory or bust it. IMHO, this is the true test, not last year.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
edstile said:

And I had no idea that California Baptist was a powerhouse. Who knew??
Well, many people would say that they are a lot like Arlington Baptist but with a few differences. Our Texas team is pretty conservative in their offense whereas the California team can be a little more liberal in their ball movement. ABU has a conventional zone defense, but CBU can play a more unorthodox type of 1-3-1 defense. Arlington really likes to immerse their players in the traditional 1-5 spots, but California seems to sprinkle in a positionless type play from time to time. Most would say that ABU take a back row seat among the opponents that we have played, but CBU would be the first to stand up and wave their arms to say that they knocked off a D1 school. At least that's just a couple of differences I've noticed...
MasterAxe
There is no way we lost this game, right?

I mean, right?
cboothe09
My guess is our offense does not look stellar tonight. SELU still plays strong defense, and Veal will be all over Bogues all night.
Defensively what we do does not match up with what they like to do. When we collapse on the paint, we leave that corner three open. SELU is the kind of team that tries to take advantage of that situation.
I think we win, but it will be a grinding type win.
MasterAxe
cboothe09 said:

My guess is our offense does not look stellar tonight. SELU still plays strong defense, and Veal will be all over Bogues all night.
Defensively what we do does not match up with what they like to do. When we collapse on the paint, we leave that corner three open. SELU is the kind of team that tries to take advantage of that situation.
I think we win, but it will be a grinding type win.
I will be curious to see who Veal draws for defense. As he is the point, do they dare move him to cover Shannon at the 2-spot, theoretically leaving John/Kevon to do damage.

Or, do they leave him on our PG, try and take away an advantage there, but risk Shannon going off? In reality, they've only seen Shannon play legit minutes one time, as he only played 6 minutes in Hammond and only 22 minutes in the title game.

If ever our best player was a "secret" to the other team, this may be the case.
nacluth
I bet Shannon still gets the start despite John's return. It's nice though that we can now switch Bogues from 1 to 2. Like Coach Cox said earlier this season when Shannon was struggling with point duties, it's going to pay off in conference when no one will know where he's going to line up.
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

I bet Shannon still gets the start despite John's return. It's nice though that we can now switch Bogues from 1 to 2. Like Coach Cox said earlier this season when Shannon was struggling with point duties, it's going to pay off in conference when no one will know where he's going to line up.
Nailed it. John's return was such a lift. Not just him playing, but playing well.

I'd imagine it wont take long until he is full-time PG (depending on Aaron's status, of course).

John and PG, Shannon at 2 and Kevon at 3 is just a natural fit.
cboothe09
I agree that SELU has a major dilemma when it comes to defense. Personally, I would put their best defender on our best scorer and dare the other four to beat them. Kevon has the ability to step up and carry part of that load, but who else will step up? Someone will have to tonight if we want this win.
MasterAxe
I agree. If they put Veal on Shannon, I think I go right at him.

I trust Shannon on offense to make the right choice...and that puts Veal in a tough spot to try and avoid foul trouble.

That's the catch with this scenario, he's their best playmaker on offense, so if we work him over while he's on D, ultimately, that favors us.
SFAJack_76
Watch the way the refs call it. Although our depth is improved with Comeaux back and the young guys improving, depth is still a concern. Early foul trouble for Bogues or Harris is a problem. Of course, the same for Veal. I thought the Alabama refs did a great job. I would like to see more of that team.
nacluth
I think for us it comes to shutting down Greenwood (their Sr. forward). We'll give Veal problems with our quickness already, but we have to shut down their interior game. If we can hold him to Greenwood to 12 or less, I think we win.
sfa17
If John can start putting up points like he did against bama we could be really good. I know he average around 19 point in Juco. If he could just avg half of that. It would be awesome.
KirkHeath12
SFA -10 and over/under 129.5
Class of 2012
Axe Em
nacluth
KirkHeath12 said:

SFA -10 and over/under 129.5
Vegas knows that neither team are good scorers, but I'll take the over tonight.
Pilotgirl
Veal has been struggling a bit this non-conference and he had an early injury. Last game, he received 2 techs and was ejected from game. Don't know the particulars.

I keep remembering how tired he was by the middle of the second half during the Conference Champion game. Coach just would not sit him & I truly felt for him. I think they still rely LOTS on him like we rely on Shannon/Kevon during the entire game but I think our guys are more conditioned.

Was hoping to make it but the rain we have had is doing a number on my asthma. Will have to watch from home, WHICH I HATE.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

but the SLC's insistence on scheduling due to proximity of schools instead of strength of schools gives SELA another easy schedule. In fact, it's the same schedule that saw SELA win the game against SFA and stay away for the SLC crown.

I'm still perturbed by the moronic scheduling in this conference. 1 game apeice between us and the two runners up isnt even trying. So lazy that they just flipped the location for every game and left everything else the same.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

edstile said:

Well, many people would say that they are a lot like Arlington Baptist but with a few differences. Our Texas team is pretty conservative in their offense whereas the California team can be a little more liberal in their ball movement. ABU has a conventional zone defense, but CBU can play a more unorthodox type of 1-3-1 defense. Arlington really likes to immerse their players in the traditional 1-5 spots, but California seems to sprinkle in a positionless type play from time to time. Most would say that ABU take a back row seat among the opponents that we have played, but CBU would be the first to stand up and wave their arms to say that they knocked off a D1 school. At least that's just a couple of differences I've noticed...
Wow. You must have ignored your guitar-making duties for quite a while to come up with that, Ryan. Was it time well spent?? Uh.... Well....
nacluth
Anything for you Ed.
slulionsfan
edstile said:

Cal Baptist was better than Tulane, Bradley and ULL. It's just their first year of D-I but they could be a force in the WAC in years to come. I was extremely impressed with every aspect of their program. They've averaged 26 wins a year for the last five or six years at the D-II level and have good fan support.

As for the game tonight, we're not where we were last year offensively but have shown signs of improvement since tweaking the lineup a few games ago. Greenwood has been outstanding and Veal has been a warrior, playing with a torn meniscus that needs surgery, but we're struggling to find a consistent third option. Defensively, we've been very good and I expect we'll defend well tonight, but not sure we can win if the score gets much over 60. Win or lose, hoping for a great game to kick off the conference season!

----

For those who aren't familiar with Cal Baptist here are some highlights of their game with Miss Valley earlier this year ...

Pilotgirl
For people there in person, how is the crowd? Thinking it will probably be thin....
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

For people there in person, how is the crowd? Thinking it will probably be thin....

We had to give up. Started the drive but about 20 minutes the roads were just too wet, so watching at home now.
SFASawmillGuy
Pilotgirl said:

It's pretty thin...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Veal guarding Shannon.
nacluth
We'll push 2,000 but it's a nasty night. I brought all 3 daughters in the rain, but there was some complaints about the size of the umbrella.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Turnovers
jflandis
Seems obvious to me that if Alabama couldn't keep Harris out of the paint in the 2nd half, then he should be trying to get to the rim all night. So far I'm not seeing him aggressively drive to the pain. Hope this becomes more of an emphasis in Southland play.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jock getting some early minutes.
Pilotgirl
Come on, Kevon!!! Drive to the basket dude!
MasterAxe
The atmosphere on Sunday was like when Pat Green would come to Jitterbugs.

Jumpin.

The atmosphere tonight is like when Jitterbugs burned down.

Funeral.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.