SFA / St. Edward's

13,828 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nacluth
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sfa17 said:

i think we look good. much better performance than the last 4 games. We look much more organized on defense

Defense is much improved and flying around with energy.

Looks like Keller gave the guys a good talk about taking pride in the Defense.
nacluth
Got to leave the game. Hold it down for me.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Got to leave the game. Hold it down for me.

Keller looked heartbroken when he saw you making your exit. Probably could have snuck out if it wasn't for your official Sawmill purple flame jacket.
Pilotgirl
Jovan and his screens....
MasterAxe
"Yeah, but St. Edwards is a top-15 team."

- Me, looking for anything positive.
RedRiverLa
Um. Just tuned in and it's a 5 point game. Really?
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

Weird run in which the officials swallowed the whistles and let the hill people harass our guys for a few possessions.
TallTexan
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

Also Nacluth left. Blame him.
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

RedRiverLa said:

Weird run in which the officials swallowed the whistles and let the hill people harass our guys for a few possessions.

Let's hope we can win it in 7 overtimes
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
I've always said when the Hilltoppers and Jacks play, you can just throw the records out the window.
Lumberjack Battalion
sfa17
Watching Aaron on defense is a work of art
Ljacks&Longnecks
We have looked much better at times today but still much work to do....a 3:30 scoreless spell didn't help
SFA Jack Fanatic
We have only one legitimate three point shooter (Hughes) and he isn't shooting. As long as we have no outside threat, we won't beat good teams.
RedRiverLa
So who chose the dark vs dark uniforms?
Lumberjack Battalion
sfa17
edstile said:

We have only one legitimate three point shooter (Hughes) and he isn't shooting. As long as we have no outside threat, we won't beat good teams.
Fitz is shooting 40 percent from 3
SFA Jack Fanatic
I don't understand the long spells on the bench for Fitz. When he's in, we're a much better team.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

edstile said:

Yeah, but is that really who we want doing it?? Uh, no.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Karl fouls out. I still think he's going to be a very good one before long.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Another ugly win. But it's a win....
Pilotgirl
Shannon also made some 3's today, too.
Pilotgirl
edstile said:

Another ugly win. But it's a win....
I wouldn't call it ugly...our defense has improved since the beginning of the non-conference play. Heck, it was the best I have seen so far. Not where it needs to be, but improved nontheless. This game was what I was expecting 4 games ago...
Pilotgirl
edstile said:

Karl fouls out. I still think he's going to be a very good one before long.
If he can settle down, mature & start taking things more seriously, YES. Otherwise, I don't think think we will see his potential.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ugly win perhaps but I saw much improvement at times today, still too much inconsistently that needs to be ironed out quickly, couple of time St Eds got like 4 offensive rebounds....still lot of work to do. Karl and Mitch showed signs of the players they will be.....Kevon still not up to par and let's face it we need him and Bogues to carry the load on offense.
Not sure what to expect in Ireland but hope to see the improvements continue as the schedule gets tougher.
BigJack85
Didn't see the game. Listened. It sounds like our defense played slightly better. If that (defense) could continue to approve we should be in the mix for conference.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
There was about a five minute stretch in the first half when our spacing was good and we spread the floor more, enabling us to attack the basket better. Rob Myers even mentioned it. Why we can't do that every time down the court is a mystery to me. If I can see it, then surely the coaches can see it. When the middle is "jammed up" we are not a good offensive team. BETTER AND MORE CONSISTENT SPACING, PLEASE!

Better spacing will also make for more open three point looks. As I said earlier, if teams can sag on us without a legitimate outside shooting threat to bring them out, we're not going to beat good teams in Belfast or anywhere else.
SFAJack_76
Post game interview.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bstCinR3LTg0NTc0MjY1NDI2NDYzMTI5NnwxT3d4V09nZ2FlV3hRWsVxWDuesfVrUZwiXrrnK868dsdK4eNBM5TiG0AF4kc=
nacluth
Hmm...When I left we were up by 8, and we win by 13 but it was an ugly win? Maybe so, but what I saw after the first media timeout was much better than anything I've seen this year by our team. Team play has come a long way. Still new and sloppy but way better.

St. Ed's is a much better team than Marist. This was a overall 15-20 point swing between this game and the last. Defense definitely has its big holes, but even the young guys were playing tough. Karl is intense but very sloppy, but I saw much more disciplined play from the team as a whole. Hands flying everywhere.

We won't beat San Francisco with this play, but we wouldn't have beat St Ed's with Tuesday's play. Building at a good pace. December is a beast of a schedule. At this point .500 through the rest of nonconference seems pretty good, but I've got higher hopes. Keller is still undefeated through November at home. Go Jacks!
nacluth
Thanks for the link.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

Shannon Bogues says hi. Fitzgerald is shooting .400 on threes for the season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Hmm...When I left we were up by 8, and we win by 13 but it was an ugly win?
What you missed was a 10-0 run that cut our 15 point lead to five in just a couple of minutes. It was an ugly run by St. Ed's and an ugly overall game by the Jacks, in my opinion. We weren't playing Duke, or even San Francisco. I just can't put a happy face on this one. Just being a realist.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

sfa17 said:

edstile said:

Serious question; why not?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

sfa17 said:

edstile said:

Serious question; why not?
6'8" forwards who can consistently shoot threes (and make them) are a rare breed. It remains to be seen if he continues to make them. (I honestly don't know his outside shooting stats when he was at Minnesota.) And him being out that far from the basket removes one of our best rebounders.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
No-look
Starting to look more like Lumberjack basketball. Defense was better(except giving up those back door cuts). Ball traps were working where they have been non existent. Not a great game but very improved from past games. Seeing flashes of what this team can be. What a difference Aaron is making! I think we will be fine when conference play gets here. Now if we can just get John back....
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Thanks for the link.
Absolutely. It sounds like you and I saw the same game. Plenty of rough spots indicative of a new group of basketball players learning to play this team sport, and a coaching staff working to figure out rotations. However, very meaningful improvement in the second game of the year for our PG.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.