SFA / Marist

38,702 Views | 237 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pilotgirl
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (2-1) vs. Marist (1-2)

WHEN: NOV. 20 (TUE) 7:30 P.M.
WHERE: WRJ Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

SFA will face Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference team Marist Tuesday night in the kickoff of the home portion of the Belfast Classic. The Red Foxes are 1-2 in their young season with a win over Ivy League Columbia. The losses to both Army and Lehigh were competitive matches against teams that have played respectably against their other D1 competition. Marist is shooting well on the season at a 45% clip and exceptionally well behind the arc at 41%. Against Lehigh they poured in threes at an impressive 52% (15-29). Not a very tall team, Marist relies on solid guard play and shooting fundamentals. They are not a strong pressure defense and are use to making the opponents come through them.

Marist has not faced a strong defensive team yet. It waits to be seen if they will on Tuesday. A traditional SFA defense would have plenty to take advantage against, but our early team defense could lead to more perimeter breakdowns and play into the Red Foxes' strength. We will have a significant height advantage, so we will need to dominate the boards and play strong in the post. Guard defense will be a key.

On paper, the team that lost 4 out of every 5 games last year looks like easy pickings against a NCAA tourney team, but Marist has been playing team ball even in their losses. This is the team that SFA needs to put away at home while showing good team play before the stiffer competition comes to town like D2 St. Edwards who have shown that they don't mind taking down D1 schools on their turf (UTSA).

4 freshmen
5 sophmores
3 juniors
4 seniors
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Exceptional write up.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
Yup. Right on. And a coaching change.
No-look
Any update on Aaron?
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Any update on Aaron?
And also on Sammy and Kevon? Sammy was injured in the Miami game, as I recall, and Kevon said on Twitter a few days ago that he was not at 100% health, and he looked it against Miami.
TallTexan
edstile said:

No-look said:

Any update on Aaron?
And also on Sammy and Kevon? Sammy was injured in the Miami game, as I recall, and Kevon said on Twitter a few days ago that he was not at 100% health, and he looked it against Miami.

Maybe what they all need is a nice 3 or 4 day cruise to rest and recuperate.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

edstile said:

No-look said:

Any update on Aaron?

Next thing you know, a certain Texan will be suggesting that a certain alum provide it pro bono.
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

edstile said:

No-look said:

Any update on Aaron?

Next thing you know, a certain Texan will be suggesting that a certain alum provide it pro bono.
Now that you mention it, don't we know someone who's in the cruise business?
sfa17
Hoping that this is the game we start to look a bit more composed and get some momentum ahead of some crucial games in Ireland.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Hoping that this is the game we start to look a bit more composed and get some momentum ahead of some crucial games in Ireland.
True. If we can get someone to adequately play the role of a substitute PG we'll be OK.
SFA Jack Fanatic
A reminder that tomorrow is DOUBLEHEADER DAY in WRJ. Ladyjacks take on Our Lady of the Lake at 5:00 p.m. before the Jacks tangle with Marist at 7:30.

Get there early and support both of our teams!
nacluth
Game day! Let's start with Marist and build from here.

TallTexan
nacluth said:

Game day! Let's start with Marist and build from here.

Can't wait!
MasterAxe
If you can have a "Must Win" this early in the season, this seems like it. A good solid performance will do wonders.

Three really sub-par performances to start the year, but a week to get healthy and prep for a team making a LONG journey. I feel good about this one.

Get this one and get the one on Sunday and then get ready for a real up-tick in caliber in Ireland and to the back-end of non-conference.

Txjack
Agreed, Hoping this is a good "gel" game. Strange, I would not be surprised if we won by 40...or taking into account the last few games, if it comes down to a last second shot. Hard to gauge where we are at this point.

Man...how long is it going to take Daffy to cut that tree down?!
nacluth
Until about 9:00 tonight, and Donald would be sad you forgot his name...
PurpleOut
Staff
Agree with the above, this is a big game for me. As is St. Edwards. Traveling to Belfast going to be tough, and playing San Francisco is the hardest game we'll have that nobody has really mentioned. Right now, they are much better than we are.

We need to get some momentum going, starting tonight.
Txjack
Doh! I always get them mixed up...right...Donald is the one that wears clothes...
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

playing San Francisco is the hardest game we'll have that nobody has really mentioned. Right now, they are much better than we are.

Exactly. Don't look now, but the Dons are 4-0 and all four have been 30+ point blowouts.
nacluth
9 point favorites tonight.
SFAJack_76
Sammy not suited up. Augustin is in uniform.
Jon
If we can hold on defense, we should be getting a W on our resume. Hope we learned something down in Florida about defending outside shooters.
TallTexan
I really regret not making a sign that says "your poll sucks" for tonight's game.
TallTexan
TJ dressed up like he literally owns the place. Looking snazzy.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Aaron is moving well. Left arm padded. Looking pretty good in warmups.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Are you here, Texan?
nacluth
People making shots in warmup. Better than the first games.
TallTexan
edstile said:

Are you here, Texan?

Yep, drove in from Palestine. Caught the last few minutes of the girls game.
BigJack85
That's pretty good Texan!!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jon
Aaron is starting tonight, along with Jovan... let's see how this plays out!
sfa17
3 wide open 3
TallTexan
Man I've missed Aaron.
sfa17
TallTexan said:

Man I've missed Aaron.

It just looks right
RedRiverLa
Fitz!!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
Sammy is out for night. Bain injured but playing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.