Who wants to travel to Ireland?

14,053 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Because that's where we're playing a tournament next year.

Think this deserves it's own thread.
nacluth
Yes please.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
On top of it being in Belfast...this is a really good Mid-Major tournament.

SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

On top of it being in Belfast...this is a really good Mid-Major tournament.

Oh, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My excitement radar just exploded!
SFA Jack Fanatic
OK, guys. Do some research and let us know if any of these teams, on paper, can beat us. At first glance, and without any research, I say NO!
nacluth
Towson won last year in a decent four team event. They say they're going to announce an 8 team field (but it's unclear whether there's going to be a women's side this year). MAAC teams will be involved. Should be solid competition over Thanksgiving break.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
LIU Brooklyn (7) and San Francisco (1) are receiving votes in the CollegeInsider.com poll.

UW-Milwaukee has a lovely write up on MidMajorMadness.com over losing their entire starting five to graduation or transfer. In total Milwaukee is losing their top three scorers who accounted for 55% of their scoring, 47% of their rebounding and made two-thirds of their three-point attempts.

Not a lot of info on the other teams that just pops out quickly like those three...
CLHawkins
cboothe09
Not sure how I missed it but Buffalo finished the season #3 in the CollegeInsider.com poll. Buffalo beat Arizona 89-68 in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament before losing to Kentuck 95-75 in the Second Round. Lose just two seniors...
PurpleOut
Staff
Buffalo is very good.
Jacks4460
This is an awsome tournament.. So happy we are able to go and play against some really good teams and the kids also get to experience a little bit of Europe. Once in a lifetime trip for some of them..
cboothe09
Records and Postseason Results for Tournament Field:

UAlbany: 22-10 (10-6 America East) Postseason: Lost to Stony Brook in 1st Round of America East Tournament
Buffalo: 27-9 (15-3 MAC) Postseason: Won MAC Tourney, Defeated Arizona in NCAA 1st Round, Lost to Kentucky in NCAA 2nd Round
Dartmouth: 7-20 (3-11 Ivy League) Postseason: None
LIU-Brooklyn: 18-17 (10-8 NEC) Postseason: Won NEC Tourney, Lost to Radford in NCAA First Four
Marist: 6-25 (4-14 MAAC) Postseason: Lost to Fairfield in 1st Round of MAAC Tourney
UW-Milwaukee: 16-17 (8-10 Horizon) Postseason: Lost to Wright State in Horizon Tourney Semifinals
San Francisco: 22-17 (9-9 WCC) Postseason: Lost to Gonzaga in WCC Semifinals; Lost to North Texas in CBI Finals (Best of 3)
SFA: 28-7 (14-4 SLC) Postseason: Won SLC Tourney, Lost to Texas Tech in 1st Round
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Records and Postseason Results for Tournament Field:

Buffalo: 27-9 (15-3 MAC) Postseason: Won MAC Tourney, Defeated Arizona in NCAA 1st Round, Lost to Kentucky in NCAA 2nd Round

Looks like Buffalo will be our toughest. They are #3 in the Insider Mid-Major Top 25 poll. It will be good to be challenged early on. Should portend what's to come.
cboothe09
PurpleOut said:

Buffalo is very good.
Only losing two seniors. They are scary good (Receiving eight votes in USA Today Coaches Poll)...I really hope we get the chance to face them.

Averaged 84.6 ppg and gave up 76.2 ppg.
cboothe09
I think SFA and Buffalo are head and shoulders the best two in the field. LIU and USF weren't stellar most of the year, but got hot late. USF did get a nice win over St. Mary's and saw their CBI best of three go three games against UNT. Albany is an intriguing team that I want to learn a little more about.

Top tier:
SFA & Buffalo

Good, but not great:
LIU, USF, Albany

Woof...:
Dartmouth, Marist, Milwaukee
sfa17
Yeah , buffalo and usf are good team. USF went 9-9 in WCC. WCC was the #13 conference last season. They only finished behind Gonzaga, St.Mary's, and BYU. They also had a win over Nevada on a neutral court
SFAJack_76
Interesting format. Intrigued to see the schedule.

"The 2018 event will feature an expanded field to eight schools. The schools will compete in two four-team brackets, with University campus round games in America leading into two tournament brackets in Belfast aptly named 'Samson' and 'Goliath' after the iconic Harland and Wolfe cranes in the Titanic quarter ship yard of Belfast. "
PurpleOut
Staff
I've heard we're getting a pretty solid home game out of this.
SFAJack_76
Might a trip to Ireland entice a top recruit that is on the fence to fill that last open scholarship?
TallTexan
I've been working on my post play all morning.
SFAJack_76
If we only knew a good travel agent.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I've been working on my post play all morning.
Not THIS kind of post, Texan....
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

If we only knew a good travel agent.
I can get you a good rate on a Cunard trans-Atlantic cruise. They haven't had one sink since their predecessor White Star Line's Titanic. They're always looking for strong people to shovel coal in their boiler room.
djsfw57
I live in Ohio in the middle of the Mid American Conference, so I see Buffalo play quite a bit. They are definitely good - great coaching. SFA can beat them, but they will have to be on their toes.
SFAJack_76
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

Might a trip to Ireland entice a top recruit that is on the fence to fill that last open scholarship?
Is there a top recruit left for the coming year?
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Is there a top recruit left for the coming year?
We have no public 2018 offers out. I have no idea if we are continuing to recruit or not. There are still about 70 D1 transfers that are eligible to play right away without a new home. Most of those are juniors or seniors. I would rather we not get another upper class dude. No doubt there are still a number of Juco transfers available.

(Counting Hart, who decommitted from SFA but still is considering us, we have ten 2019 offers out.)
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Interesting format. Intrigued to see the schedule.

"The 2018 event will feature an expanded field to eight schools. The schools will compete in two four-team brackets, with University campus round games in America leading into two tournament brackets in Belfast aptly named 'Samson' and 'Goliath' after the iconic Harland and Wolfe cranes in the Titanic quarter ship yard of Belfast. "
So, the two winners of the tournament brackets would not play each other, and therefore, two teams could come out of this thing with no losses, correct? If that's the case, we might not play Buffalo at all. Am I interpreting this thing correctly?
nacluth
My guess is that the winners of the round robin go into one bracket and the losers in another. So the top teams square off in one side, losers in another. The biblical anachronism in their titles is really messing with me, but I guess I can overlook the 100 years difference between Samson and Goliath.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
They've been reborn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_and_Goliath_(cranes)
nacluth
Now those are cranes.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
Looks like I very well may get the chance to go...
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

They've been reborn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_and_Goliath_(cranes)
So, New York City has the Statue of Liberty, London has Big Ben, Paris has the Eiffel Tower, and Belfast has its.... cranes??? Must be a blue collar kind of city.
sfa17
Time to create some international fans.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Don't know if it's happening to everyone, but "First Class to Ireland" ads for airfare have started popping up on the right side of some of the Forums pages for me. Big Brother (Google, Microsoft, or someone) is watching.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.