Strength & Conditioning Room Renovation and Equipment Purchase

16,099 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cboothe09 said:

Still will have to go through the bid process...
Sawmill Construction Contractors, reporting for service!
SFAJack_76
Minutes from the April board meeting are not posted, but the report to the board is. From that document:

"The administration recommends conversion and renovation of the old university rifle range to provide a strength and conditioning room for the men's and women's basketball programs, and in addition, fund the purchase of strength and conditioning equipment necessary to outfit the fitness room, at a total cost not to exceed $725,000. The source of funds will be designated fund balance."
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

, at a total cost not to exceed $725,000.
That sounds more like it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

That'll be a heck of a commute, Texan.
BigJack85
My bad. Somehow thought.... it was $200,000. Maybe I heard that was the.estimate forequipment
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks4460
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Yes sir that dog will hunt now.. Glad it is for boys and girls teams. Ladyjacks on the comeback like when I was in college 89-94. We had some unbelievable lady's squads.. 250k can get you a very nice buildout and you still have 500k for equipment.. that is awsome..
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

Glad it is for boys and girls teams. Ladyjacks on the comeback like when I was in college 89-94. We had some unbelievable lady's squads.
And the '70's under hall of fame coach Sue Gunter. SFA was among the early entries to women's basketball often being ranked in the top twenty in the country.

Gunter, Blair, and Chadwick had great success. I hope Kellogg has the same level of success adding to the top ten in the country in all time wins.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks4460 said:

Glad it is for boys and girls teams. Ladyjacks on the comeback like when I was in college 89-94. We had some unbelievable lady's squads.
And the '70's under hall of fame coach Sue Gunter. SFA was among the early entries to women's basketball often being ranked in the top twenty in the country.

Gunter, Blair, and Chadwick had great success. I hope Kellogg has the same level of success adding to the top ten in the country in all time wins.
You guys are bringing back some great Ladyjack memories. I vividly remember attending when SFA hosted a packed house at the NCAA Regionals in 1993. One of the teams there, Vanderbilt, had a seven-foot center. Vandy edged the Ladyjacks in the Regional final and made the Final Four. And the Ladjacks had a fantastic player that year. Can't recall her name. Extremely athletic, as I recall.

BTW, the SFA women, in the early days of the program under Sue Gunter and before they were officially sponsored by the university, played AIAW ball and were not called the Ladyjacks. They adopted that name later. They called themselves something else, but I can't remember what. Anyone know?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Yes sir that dog will hunt now.. Glad it is for boys and girls teams. Ladyjacks on the comeback like when I was in college 89-94. We had some unbelievable lady's squads.. 250k can get you a very nice buildout and you still have 500k for equipment.. that is awsome..
Yeah. It would have been hard to compete with UT and A&M's swankiendas with only a $200K buildout and a couple of barbells.
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

I'm subcontracting it out to NacLuth. He builds things, it'll be great.
nacluth
TallTexan said:

Oh yeah, dream come true. It's going to look like a Vanderbilt mansion when I'm done with it. Hardwood everywhere. Chrome and gold shining. I'm sure I can fit a weight machine between the plush sofas. Wait, what are we building here again?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

edstile said:

TallTexan said:

Sadly, I think that's over his pay grade...
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I'm sure I can fit a weight machine between the plush sofas.
You do realize that they're supposed to exercise in there occasionally, right, Ryan? So ditch the plush sofas (a half-dozen plain old La-Z-Boy recliners will do just fine, 75" video game monitor (a few 21" ers will suffice), and cotton candy machine (...or, do they make sugar-free cotton candy these days?).
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks4460 said:

I

You guys are bringing back some great Ladyjack memories. I vividly remember attending when SFA hosted a packed house at the NCAA Regionals in 1993. One of the teams there, Vanderbilt, had a seven-foot center. Vandy edged the Ladyjacks in the Regional final and made the Final Four. And the Ladjacks had a fantastic player that year. Can't recall her name. Extremely athletic, as I recall.

BTW, the SFA women, in the early days of the program under Sue Gunter and before they were officially sponsored by the university, played AIAW ball and were not called the Ladyjacks. They adopted that name later. They called themselves something else, but I can't remember what. Anyone know?
I was there '72-'76, and knew some of the girls on the team so I should know the answer to your question. I think they were a cumbersome Lady Lumberjacks. Trinia Tillis is probably who you are thinking about in '93. Hall of Famer Rosie Walker in '79-'80, was the best I have ever seen in person. Good times with several top 20, and some top ten, teams.

Both men and women at Northern Arizona are Lumberjacks, btw.

cboothe09
Trina Tillis?
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

Trina Tillis?
Actually, Trenia Tillis, although her best year was 93-94. SLC player of the year. From Grapeland and now head coach at Tyler JC.

Deneen Parker was SLC player of the year for 91-92 and 92-93.

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

cboothe09 said:

Trina Tillis?
Actually, Trenia Tillis, although her best year was 93-94. SLC player of the year. From Grapeland and now head coach at Tyler JC.

Deneen Parker was SLC player of the year for 91-92 and 92-93.

Deneen Parker was who I was thinking of. Thanks. I don't think I ever got a chance to see Trinia play.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yep Ed, I was at that Vanderbilt game----Gillingham was the near 7 footer on Vandy and Tillis did a great job on her all game. We had that game in our favor til the 30 second clocks went down and there was a long delay while pulling out some old floor 30 second clocks that looked like large box fans. That delay turned the momentum of the game and Vandy got the win.
I remember that I sat there in disappointment so long that I was literally about the last person in the building. One of the Ladyjack assistants, Sue Donoghue, came over and we commiserated over the game. Then I saw Coach Blair come out and you could read the "what could have been" all over him. Shortly after that we lost him to Arkansas.
Oh how I miss those days of Gunter, Blair, Chadwick.
cboothe09
Also a McDonalds All-American for the Sandiettes.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Yep Ed, I was at that Vanderbilt game----Gillingham was the near 7 footer on Vandy and Tillis did a great job on her all game. We had that game in our favor til the 30 second clocks went down and there was a long delay while pulling out some old floor 30 second clocks that looked like large box fans. That delay turned the momentum of the game and Vandy got the win.
I remember that I sat there in disappointment so long that I was literally about the last person in the building. One of the Ladyjack assistants, Sue Donoghue, came over and we commiserated over the game. Then I saw Coach Blair come out and you could read the "what could have been" all over him. Shortly after that we lost him to Arkansas.
Oh how I miss those days of Gunter, Blair, Chadwick.
You have an amazing memory, L&L. All I can remember about that game is that the popcorn was cold.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

TallTexan said:

Oh yeah, dream come true. It's going to look like a Vanderbilt mansion when I'm done with it. Hardwood everywhere. Chrome and gold shining. I'm sure I can fit a weight machine between the plush sofas. Wait, what are we building here again?

I've seen the Vanderbilt mansion gym, and would like to announce that I'm now taking applications for new subcontractors.
SFA88
Wow _76! those are great memories. Rosie Walker was unbelievable. She was named to the Olympic team and Sue Gunter was named the Olympic team coach. The US and it's allies boycotted the Olympics because the Russians had invaded Afghanistan (who knew Charlie Wilson had been so involved in that resistance).

Yep, times have changed (for the better imo) one daughter is a Lumberjack and one is a Sun Devil. No need to put "Lady" in front of it.

Way OT, I had a friend that worked in the athletic department and she told me opposing teams would try to get under the skin of Lumberjack teams by making fun of the Jacks on their jersey. "Jack's?? You mean like the game played with a ball and pointy metal stars?". They weren't laughing when those mid 80s teams kick their ...
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Minutes from the April board meeting are not posted, but the report to the board is. From that document:

"The administration recommends conversion and renovation of the old university rifle range to provide a strength and conditioning room for the men's and women's basketball programs, and in addition, fund the purchase of strength and conditioning equipment necessary to outfit the fitness room, at a total cost not to exceed $725,000. The source of funds will be designated fund balance."
I'm curious as to whether this project has already gone out for bids, or do they still have to wait for the July Regents meeting to get it rubber-stamped before proceeding? Anyone know? Also curious about any projections as to when the room might be ready for use. Let's get a move on!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Anyone know if work is being done on this project? Nac areas guys? Just wondering what the timetable is for the men and women to start benefitting from it.
Jacks4460
All right edstile I got the low down up in the club level on Saturday while I was hoping for a game to start... I must say I was very impressed with the club level and the hospitality the Ath Department has. The new training facility is put on hold. The money is still there but the shooting range was below the flood plane and building there we couldn't get any insurance so that idea is on hold.. The shooting range might get turned into a hospitality type thing for the Varsity Club members. I never got an answer on to where the training facility should be or will be. I was told the study they did to re do all our facilities had an estimate of 150 million.. That is new training facilities, tacking the track out(which is 10 yrs old),new soccer/track stadium, baseball on campus, new locker rooms for all sports, refacing WRJ and changing the inside some.. They can't add many more seats but feel the size of the WRJ is just fine. They are looking to make it to where they could have more concerts and events in the WRJ to help generate revenue. Another idea they are tinkering with is having a hospitality(party tent) in the south edzone. They will do that for one game this year not sure which one.. Got to hug Mr Cole and thank him for all that he does for us at SFASU... Ryan Ivey is a seed and for sure a keeper..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

All right edstile I got the low down up in the club level on Saturday while I was hoping for a game to start... I must say I was very impressed with the club level and the hospitality the Ath Department has. The new training facility is put on hold. The money is still there but the shooting range was below the flood plane and building there we couldn't get any insurance so that idea is on hold.. The shooting range might get turned into a hospitality type thing for the Varsity Club members. I never got an answer on to where the training facility should be or will be. I was told the study they did to re do all our facilities had an estimate of 150 million.. That is new training facilities, tacking the track out(which is 10 yrs old),new soccer/track stadium, baseball on campus, new locker rooms for all sports, refacing WRJ and changing the inside some.. They can't add many more seats but feel the size of the WRJ is just fine. They are looking to make it to where they could have more concerts and events in the WRJ to help generate revenue. Another idea they are tinkering with is having a hospitality(party tent) in the south edzone. They will do that for one game this year not sure which one.. Got to hug Mr Cole and thank him for all that he does for us at SFASU... Ryan Ivey is a seed and for sure a keeper..

Glad to hear we have some estimates & potential plans. WRJ's front could sure use a face-lift.

Can't wait to see what the final plans are.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

Excellent, 4460!! Great information. Hope they can transition from a "study" to actual facilities, and rather quickly.

And thanks for the update on the training/conditioning facility. I remember when WRJ was under several feet of flood waters many years ago. Hopefully, that type of flooding won't happen again, but who knows?
PurpleOut
Staff
I chatted with Ivey off and on a few times on Saturday. As pretty much everyone has said, he's great to speak with and takes the time to listen to everyone. Very open to ideas and understands building for the future.

I feel as a athletic department and community, that we've become very complacent the past few years in certain regards. Which can happen for several reasons. But I think he agrees and knows what he wants to do. As he said, he wants SFA to be the best mid-major department in the nation. A lot of that will start with us as fans, joining the Varsity Club, etc. And I think we've begun to really take off there.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.