Strength & Conditioning Room Renovation and Equipment Purchase

16,098 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw this in the report to the BOR as part of the agenda at their upcoming April 22-24 meeting. This is a recommendation from the Building and Grounds Committee...

Report and Board Action on Agenda Item 16: BASKETBALL STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING ROOM RENOVATION AND EQUIPMENT PURCHASE

Explanation: The university men's and women's basketball programs need a strength and conditioning room that supports physical training and conditioning. In addition to training preparation, an enhanced physical training program will support rehabilitation for both programs. With limited space within Johnson Coliseum, the only viable space option is the old rifle range on the southwest corner of the lower level, which is currently being used to store items for graduation ceremonies and other events.

Recommendation: The administration recommends conversion and renovation of the old university rifle range to provide a strength and conditioning room for the men's and women's basketball programs, and in addition, fund the purchase of strength and conditioning equipment necessary to outfit the fitness room, at a total cost not to exceed $___________. The source of funds will be designated fund balance.
BigJack85
Interesting. I would hope we eventually get the money to renovate the whole back portion of WRJ. Maybe if I come up with $4 - $5 million they'll call it DDT......
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Maybe if I come up with $4 - $5 million they'll call it DDT......
If you do that they'll call it anything you want!! (And I'll become your chief cook and bottle washer for life.)
nacluth
Wait we have a rifle range in WRJ?!? They could earn money pre-game with some target games. $10 a round, split the proceeds half for the winner, half for the program. Money would be rolling in.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Wait we have a rifle range in WRJ?!? They could earn money pre-game with some target games. $10 a round, split the proceeds half for the winner, half for the program. Money would be rolling in.
It seems that you're always late to the table on such things, Ryan....
BigJack85
I read the entire BOR report (not line by line). Apparently the old rifle range is used to store equipment for graduation. They authorized purchase of $200,000 truck to transport the equipment so that the room can be converted. There was also a note about the forestry PHD being under pressure to increase enrollment. They need to increase enrollment or risk it being shuttered. I don't think that is a real possibility but we as a university need that PHD program for our overall reputation as a doctoral granting institution. We only have 3 doctoral programs!!!!
PurpleOut
Staff
edstile said:

With limited space within Johnson Coliseum, the only viable space option is the old rifle range on the southwest corner of the lower level,
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

There was also a note about the forestry PHD being under pressure to increase enrollment. They need to increase enrollment or risk it being shuttered. I don't think that is a real possibility but we as a university need that PHD program for our overall reputation as a doctoral granting institution. We only have 3 doctoral programs!!!!
Yeah, I saw that, too. They'll have to get on bended knee and plead to the Legislature to keep it going. The PhD program needs to have at least 10 graduates each year, and they haven't had that in any of the last three years.
BigJack85
I imagine it's not that bleak. There have been periods when doctoral enrollment in the forestry school have dipped. My guess is that it will continue to move on.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

I imagine it's not that bleak. There have been periods when doctoral enrollment in the forestry school have dipped. My guess is that it will continue to move on.
I hope you're right. It's one of the few in the country. SFA's Forestry program is unmatched in this part of the USA and is a source of pride for all who love SFA.
BigJack85
I don't have any inside information but I do have a lot of forestry grads as friends. A couple have told me this is unlikely due to the lofty standards that are maintained. It could happen but doubtful.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Why don't we have a rifle team then? That's an event some East Texas kids would own.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Why don't we have a rifle team then? That's an event some East Texas kids would own.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Interesting. I would hope we eventually get the money to renovate the whole back portion of WRJ. Maybe if I come up with $4 - $5 million they'll call it DDT......

My powerball numbers didn't come up yesterday so I won't be able to contribute.
Jacks4460
Did anyone catch what they said about the new S&C facility? It was #2 on the agenda and I didnt get infront of my computer until now and I missed it...
BigJack85
Nope. I'm sure it will come out soon. My guess is that it will be approved.
TallTexan
Wait, today's the BOR day where they're talking about facilities? It's like offseason Christmas!
Jacks4460
I got that it will be passed tomorrow morning... Really didn't go into specifics other than the administration recommending a renovation of the gun range in WRJ. A not to exceed $$$ number will be announced tomorrow after/when board approves it.. It is also on top on the agenda for tomorrow morning so I am sure the info will come out then.. Off season Christmas is nice!!!
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

I got that it will be passed tomorrow morning... Really didn't go into specifics other than the administration recommending a renovation of the gun range in WRJ. A not to exceed $$$ number will be announced tomorrow after/when board approves it.. It is also on top on the agenda for tomorrow morning so I am sure the info will come out then.. Off season Christmas is nice!!!
I'm still disappointed to find out we have a gun range & don't have a rifle team. But glad for renovations to WRJ.

If I knew how to actually use some 3D modeling software & was at all artistically inclined, I'd draw up an awesome WRJ entrance renovation myself.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

If I knew how to actually use some 3D modeling software & was at all artistically inclined, I'd draw up an awesome WRJ entrance renovation myself.
Keep looking for a talent, any talent, Texan. You'll hit upon something someday. Comedy writing, perhaps?
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

Keep looking for a talent, any talent, Texan. You'll hit upon something someday. Comedy writing, perhaps?
I do manage to crack myself up quite often. Sometimes, my wife even laughs.
SFAXE93
That rifle range was for a military science class back in the day.
BigJack85
On campus today. Business related. I was told that the amount of money saved on the STEM building is significant ($2 million +) That will give the university some money to spend on a couple of small projects like the rifle range renovation in the coliseum.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

On campus today. Business related. I was told that the amount of money saved on the STEM building is significant ($2 million +) That will give the university some money to spend on a couple of small projects like the rifle range renovation in the coliseum.

We came in under budget on a construction project? That's got to be a world record or something right?
SFA88
SFAXE93 said:

I took a couple of ROTC classes for my PE requirement and spent a little time down there shooting bolt action .22s. it was fun to poke holes in paper.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA88 said:

SFAXE93 said:

I took a couple of ROTC classes for my PE requirement and spent a little time down there shooting bolt action .22s. it was fun to poke holes in paper.
So, shooting a .22 is (or was) considered physical education? Who knew?? Next thing you know they'll have girls twirling ribbons in the air and be calling it Rhythmic Gymnastics in the Olympics.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Anyone have insider info on what the Board's final decision/action was on this at their last meeting?
BigJack85
Regarding the work out facility in the WRJ? I think it was approved if I read it correctly.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Regarding the work out facility in the WRJ? I think it was approved if I read it correctly.
Where did you read that? I don't think the meeting minutes have been posted yet. I am interested in the amount of $$$ they allocated to it.
BigJack85
The cost was listed at a "not to exceed".... $200,000. I believe.
Txjack
$200,000?...sounds like that would buy a bowflex and a couple of treadmills.
TallTexan
Don't quote me, because i totally haven't priced this out, but work out rooms seem like they'd be relatively cheap to build out, hence why they pop up on every corner.

I've been thinking owning a gym would be fun some day. So you take down the walls, add some lighting, cover the crappy floor with gym floormats & add 5 or 6 squat racks, a set of spin bikes, some treadmills, a gym set of dumbells, & then specialty, sports specific equipment.

I'd bet you'd be in for less than 50-60k for the equipment needed for this space, less than a commercial gym. Then again, I don't know how many people we're thinking about accommodating for said workout room.

But seems fairly straightforward, with the exception of finding a bowflex big enough for Gru.
Jacks4460
Txjack said:

$200,000?...sounds like that would buy a bowflex and a couple of treadmills.
I am with you... 200K isnt very much when it comes to reconstructing something much less buying equipment for it..
Jacks4460
I wonder if we have someone in the maintance dept that can do the build out so all the school is doing is purchasing the equipment.. So the build out wouldnt cost as much because (SFASU) is already paying an electrician,plumber,a/c man,etc. to work in the maintance dept.
cboothe09
Still will have to go through the bid process...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.