Ladyjacks 2016-2017 Season

9,131 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by INiedrauer
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just wanted to get the Ladyjacks thread back up. The women are killing it. Currently they are coming off back to back 30+ point wins to start conference play. With the size, athleticism, shooting talent, and senior point guard, this team could run straight through the Southland conference and beyond.

The men may currently be struggling, but the women are looking like heavy favorites to repeat last year's conference crown.
sfaguy
Worth pointing out that they struggled for stretches last season with new leadership and a new system, I guess a lot like the men are this year. They stumbled to 3rd in the conference in the regular season with some head-scratching losses and then got upset in the SLC tournament.

And one year later, they're absolutely killing it. New systems and staff are tough transitions. To me, the women are an example of why we should remain optimistic with our new men's staff given enough time.
nacluth
Ahh yeah, thanks s***uy for the clarifcation. Last year they weren't SLC champs, but the year before. Both years like many previous had the same result, getting bounced in the SLC tournament by an inferior team.

This team has me believing that the postseason curse will be lifted. Girls BBall in the Southland some years is like watching paint dry compared to the Men's game. This squad though makes me think that they are on the right track to taking down some big schools in the near future. The young core of this group playing at this level is something I'm going to love to see mature. It will be hard to replace Ross as the captain of this offense, but I think Coach Kellogg has us going in the right direction.

Didn't mention in that last post that this team is on a 10 game winning streak looking to make it 11 against the Islanders tomorrow at home!

*hmm...I typed your username in and it gave me this. Some odd interword hate speech protection?*
SFA Jack Fanatic
The Ladyjacks have a LOI from Marissa Banfield from Westbury Christian in Houston. As a junior last year, she was the leading three point shooter in Texas at 47% (128 of 274). This year, through 20 games, she has hit 62 of 137 for a 45% average on 3's, and 46 of 92 on 2-pointers for a 50% average.

I imagine Coach Kellog is licking his chomps waiting for her to arrive.
nacluth
Chalk up number 11 against a feisty Islanders team. Corpus played with a lot of grit and hustle, but at the end of the day our girls are just deeper. Again a third quarter lockdown really broke the back of this one.

3-0 to start conference play. Next up we play ACU and Incarnate Word the other two unbeaten teams.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
It won't show in the stats vs. AMCC, but I'd give the "Hero of the Day" Award to freshman Riley Harvey. SFA was getting beaten badly on rebounds in the second half before she entered in the 4th quarter, and immediately the complexion of the game changed. She got five rebounds in 10 minutes, while our starting center Adrienne Lews had seven in 27 minutes. IMO, Harvey needs more playing time if the team is going to make a run at the NCAA's. And she's going to be a good one for a very long time at SFA. Very smooth and athletic.
nacluth
Yeah I agree. Harvey looks like a great find and player for years to come. As good as Stevi's been playing, Harvey's size ultimately will see her as being more productive. She has looked like a Freshman at times- seeming like she hasn't quite grasped all the intricacies of the system yet. I see her look at the bench for positioning a lot (at least she is!). I think that's the only reason her playing time has been limited.

Also, I didn't see our two tall blonde Europeans in the game yesterday (maybe on holiday?), but besides Lewis, we played small yesterday until Harvey came in. I think our size advantage is what led to our first two blowouts and conversely kept TAMU-CC in it yesterday.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Girls just got through dominating last year's regular season champs (and till now undefeated) Abilene Christian's team 70-61. Lewis picked up another double-double in the win. Ross was one assist off of one for herself and 3 rebounds off of a triple-double. This game was 17 at the half (32-15) and they Ladyjacks cruised through the rest of the game. A late 8-0 run by ACU at 2:30 left brought the game to 5 points with :30 left, but too little to late.

Ladyjacks are 4-0 with a clear hurdle overcome to fix their 12 game winning streak in everyone's mind.
nacluth
Count it baker's dozen! A 80-55 romp of Nicholls. This one wasn't even close. Coach put in the second team for the whole 2nd quarter. Nicholls wore down our 14 point lead to two, but in the second half the first team came back in. In 5 minutes they were back to 19 up. Cruised to a 25 point win.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
The UConn women won their record 91st straight game yesterday. SFA is hot on their heels at 13.
djsfw57
edstile said:

The UConn women won their record 91st straight game yesterday. SFA is hot on their heels at 13.
LOL Best laugh of the day.
BigJack85
Entirely possible that The Ladyjacks are 20-2 or 21-2 before they face a real test.
nacluth
Yeah, I was told that Coach K was concerned about his players thinking they were that good already.

They are good enough to go undefeated, but they shouldn't listen to their press for sure.
nacluth
Ladyjacks rolled through UIW by 19. Though they were well over 30 before the second unit played the last quarter. Ross and Parker pick up more double-doubles. Total dominance.
nacluth
The Ladyjacks just lost their first conference game and ended their 14 game winning streak. It was by far the worst rebounding game they have had. At one point in the 4th they were being out rebounded 3 to 1. Still they came back from a 10 point 4th quarter deficit to tie the game in the final minute when they were robbed by two atrocious calls. The refs plucked away all momentum on two back to back possessions. Ross still had a chance to tie, but lost the handle in her haste.

Not a pretty one, and the better team lost today.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
I watched the Ladyjacks last night, and I can't say that I've ever seen a team beaten so badly on the boards as the Ladies were. UCA did not have a height advantage, they just wanted the rebounds more than SFA. SFA's big girl in the middle seems to be someone who just fills out a roster spot. She did absolutely nothing against smaller girls. And I've seen her do nothing in other games, too.

And 2-3 times SFA's guards shot the ball from outside and the entire team (all five) immediately raced to the other end of the court -- No one even moved toward the basket to get a rebound or a put-back. Two UCA girls were all alone on the rebounds. Impossible to understand that "strategy". ????
nacluth
Yeah it was a pretty weak game against the best in the Southland, and it was still a game we should have won at the end. Lewis (our center) has actually gotten pretty good. Just a sophomore, she's now contributing with good post play, rebounds, and reliable scoring...except last night. Last night she couldn't get off the ticky tack fouls (some very weak). Harvey came in and was really the generator of the push that tied it up at the end.

Oh well, I guess it wouldn't be a season without a letdown, but my guess is that won't happen again for a while.
nacluth
Girls cleaned New Orleans' clock. Bottom 5 played the 4th quarter and stayed even.
nacluth
Down by 3 at the half, the girls waxed Sam in the second- driven by the pro SFA crowd. Easy enough.

Here's Taylor Ross drilling a three. Ball at top of flight arc.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Probably 500 fans at Bernard Johnson. 400 were probably SFA fans.
INiedrauer
Staff
Sloppy game if we're being honest. Sam is terrible, had no business in it at all. Ladies got rolling when it mattered though.
nacluth
Well, Ladyjacks let another winnable game slip through their hands in overtime. Now a game back of ACU.
djsfw57
I don't get the backwards slide we have seen the last 2 games. Definitely the wrong time to start slacking off. Didn't look at all sharp today.
nacluth
I think they are getting too cocky. Honestly I hope they take this punch in the mouth now so they don't screw up the tournament again.
nacluth
Ladyjacks just escaped Nicholls St. They easily crushed them at home by 25, but it was a different story on the road. The first half was a sloppy defensive battle that saw the Jacks score only 28 points and down by 3. The game increasingly became a shootout with SFA pouring in 54 in the second half. With four minutes left, the girls held a commanding lead of 17, but a parade of turnovers, fouls, and three pointers gave the Lady Colonels a potentially tying shot with 7 seconds left. They missed and the Ladyjacks escaped another embarrassment.

Branch and Ross put in more than 20 a piece, and Fisker had to have had a career game with 13.
BigJack85
Wow. I really hope The Ladyjacks get 24 or 25 wins and get a decent seed.
nacluth
Me too. If they can win out and not stumble in the tournament, I could see them getting a very strong mid-major seed. They also have the potential to push their way into deeper rounds as I see this team with Sweet 16 potential. However, the last couple of games have my confidence shaken. This dominant team has had some head scratching quarters lately. I'm now just hoping we don't screw up the SLC tourney like we've done 3 years running.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I noticed in the stats that Riley Harvey didn't play. What's her status?
nacluth
She didn't play this weekend either. She's in concussion protocol. Lewis played with a face guard and a broken nose.

Otherwise a hard fought game that the girls won by gritting out the second half. Good enough to put Lamar off the pace.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I only got to watch the last quarter-and-a-half. I've never seen such horrific free throw shooting. I kept saying, "Good grief! You're using a smaller ball than the guys and you still can't make free throws?!" Luckily, Lamar was just as bad.
nacluth
Big game tonight taking on ACU at home. Currently tied with them for second. Need to beat them to stay a half game back of Central Arkansas (who we play next weekend). Looking forward to the big turnout!
nacluth
Well, SFA drops the second conference game at home. That means that we lost at home to the top two teams despite Parker's 30+ point effort.
INiedrauer
Staff
I can live with the losses to ACU and UCA. That Northwestern State game is the reason we won't win the conference though...
nacluth
Yep, that was the heartbreaker. Of course, Lewis got her nose broken and they gave Harvey a concussion to win in overtime, but we should have won that one. We don't control our fate, and unlike the guys game where apparently the leaders can drop games at anytime, the disparity of the ladies side is such that we're almost assured no chance of a ring this year. Maybe that will help our tourney run.
nacluth
Ladyjacks demolish SELa with a 92-62 win. Our bottom 5 got significant playing time in this one. How about 54-10 margin on bench points?! I hope the guys could get 54 off the bench tonight. Best part of this one was the SELa commentators' mics being left on in the break saying, "What just happened?" after the girls opened a 20 point lead in about 3 minutes time. Ha!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.