Battle for QB1

20,756 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jacks4460
FootballTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Every one of these kids won in High School. That is why they are at this level. They are all winners.

Unfortunately, ranking is what happens at this level and beyond.
MasterAxe
Reading all of this about how "we have 2 QB's...we have 3 QB's...but maybe this guy or this guy or this guy..." makes me think one thing:

We likely are not going to be very good, are we?
Jacks4460
We got some JUCO juice... If Ogelsby makes it to campus and stays healthy we have a shot at being very good.. I know he is not a QB but he can sure take alot of pressure off one with his playmaking ability.. I feel we will be better if we can stay healthy... We got immediate help with all the JUCO players we signed..
MasterAxe
Jacks4460 said:

We got some JUCO juice... If Ogelsby makes it to campus and stays healthy we have a shot at being very good.. I know he is not a QB but he can sure take alot of pressure off one with his playmaking ability.. I feel we will be better if we can stay healthy... We got immediate help with all the JUCO players we signed..
I am with you 100%, Health is always a key.

But, doesnt it seem like every year "health" is our main excuse. Seriously, are we the only team that gets injured?
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

But, doesnt it seem like every year "health" is our main excuse. Seriously, are we the only team that gets injured?

Great point. I don't hear much Bearkat,,, "well the injury bug got us this year".
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

Great point. I don't hear much Bearkat,,, "well the injury bug got us this year".
Depth. They have injuries, but they have someone to step in. We have been barely competitive with our first string, much less when they go down.
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

It's absolutley a depth issue but SHSU also hasn't had injuries to the key positions like us. Losing a QB or a few playmakers at WR can seriously limit your offense or even bring it to a grinding halt.
The injury bug has hit us very differently over the past 4 years than its hit the teams that consistently win. Not many teams can lose a starting QB or almost an entire offensive line to injury and still be good. We've been very above average in injuries, but also in injuries to key players. Seriously, no team is going to win with the type of injuries we've sustained. You can prepare for injuries but the devastating injuries we've had.
It's been incredibly bad luck for Clint. I believe the potential every single season has gone up for us to have a good year, and then in the first few games we either lose key players or have key players get so banged up they can't play at 100%.
Can't really teach players to not get hurt.
MasterAxe
SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

It's absolutley a depth issue but SHSU also hasn't had injuries to the key positions like us. Losing a QB or a few playmakers at WR can seriously limit your offense or even bring it to a grinding halt.
The injury bug has hit us very differently over the past 4 years than its hit the teams that consistently win. Not many teams can lose a starting QB or almost an entire offensive line to injury and still be good. We've been very above average in injuries, but also in injuries to key players. Seriously, no team is going to win with the type of injuries we've sustained. You can prepare for injuries but the devastating injuries we've had.
It's been incredibly bad luck for Clint. I believe the potential every single season has gone up for us to have a good year, and then in the first few games we either lose key players or have key players get so banged up they can't play at 100%.
I'm with you, injuries are mostly about luck, but after YEARS of it happening, should we not catch a break (or non break?)

After this many years of having the built in excuse of injuries, I start to question not our luck but our strength and conditioning program. Like...how are we, seemingly, always hurt?
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe said:

SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

BWe got some JUCO juice... If Ogelsby makes it to campus and stays healthy we have a shot at being very good.. I know he is not a QB but he can sure take alot of pressure off one with his playmaking ability.. I feel we will be better if we can stay healthy... We got immediate help with all the JUCO players we signed..

I'm with you, injuries are mostly about luck, but after YEARS of it happening, should we not catch a break (or non break?)

After this many years of having the built in excuse of injuries, I start to question not our luck but our strength and conditioning program. Like...how are we, seemingly, always hurt?
Exactly where I am. Sam has been lucky for the seven years they have been in the FCS playoffs and Clint has had bad luck every year? What are the odds of that? DKR said that luck is what happens when preparation meets with opportunity. Sam has had injuries. They had kids prepared to take advantage of that opportunity to step up.
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

I was questioning our S&C program myself..
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

MasterAxe said:

SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

BWe got some JUCO juice... If Ogelsby makes it to campus and stays healthy we have a shot at being very good.. I know he is not a QB but he can sure take alot of pressure off one with his playmaking ability.. I feel we will be better if we can stay healthy... We got immediate help with all the JUCO players we signed..

Exactly where I am. Sam has been lucky for the seven years they have been in the FCS playoffs and Clint has had bad luck every year? What are the odds of that? DKR said that luck is what happens when preparation meets with opportunity. Sam has had injuries. They had kids prepared to take advantage of that opportunity to step up.
I think the strength and conditioning program, which is mostly outside of Clint's control, should be at question, but its not fair to compare our injuries to Sam Houston's. Had Jeremiah Briscoe been injured for the season you can take away at least 4 or 5 of Sam's wins this year. At a minimum, including their win against us.

There's a difference between having injuries to a single wide receiver or a corner and having an injured QB or several injured offensive linemen. Our injuries aren't always missing games. Sometime's they'll be banged up enough where its noticeable. Zach Conque was injured basically his entire junior and senior season. We lost Foster the entire year and Jake, while he put a great effort, was not ready to be a division 1 starter. A lot of our offensive line woes hasn't been a lack of talent, it's been the fact we've been having players play out of position and straight up losing an entire starting O-Line. Really the only programs in the FCS who's backups are good enough to lose key starters and still be able to play at a high level is the NDSU type teams. Hell, Missouri, who is one of the most storied programs in FCS history, had struggled heavily over the past couple of seasons and its been due to injuries.

The thread is getting a little derailed, but unless we see a season with at least an average amount of injuries, it's hard to put the team's woes over the past 3 seasons completely on Clint.
MasterAxe
SFA_03 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

MasterAxe said:

SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

I think the strength and conditioning program, which is mostly outside of Clint's control, should be at question, but its not fair to compare our injuries to Sam Houston's. Had Jeremiah Briscoe been injured for the season you can take away at least 4 or 5 of Sam's wins this year. At a minimum, including their win against us.

There's a difference between having injuries to a single wide receiver or a corner and having an injured QB or several injured offensive linemen. Our injuries aren't always missing games. Sometime's they'll be banged up enough where its noticeable. Zach Conque was injured basically his entire junior and senior season. We lost Foster the entire year and Jake, while he put a great effort, was not ready to be a division 1 starter. A lot of our offensive line woes hasn't been a lack of talent, it's been the fact we've been having players play out of position and straight up losing an entire starting O-Line. Really the only programs in the FCS who's backups are good enough to lose key starters and still be able to play at a high level is the NDSU type teams. Hell, Missouri, who is one of the most storied programs in FCS history, had struggled heavily over the past couple of seasons and its been due to injuries.

The thread is getting a little derailed, but unless we see a season with at least an average amount of injuries, it's hard to put the team's woes over the past 3 seasons completely on Clint.
again, I am totally with you, Injuries are basically bad luck.

Where is disagree is that the woe's of a team fall on the coach, no matter the circumstance. He gets paid to win. Period. After a while, if that does not happen, no matter the why...they, whelp, you know what happens.

I think our team needs go far beyond injuries. The past two years our starters look overmatched nearly across the board (Franklin the exception)...the healthy players look over matched. Even when our QB's and other positions were healthy, they were not all that impressive.
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

SFA_03 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

MasterAxe said:

SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

again, I am totally with you, Injuries are basically bad luck.

Where is disagree is that the woe's of a team fall on the coach, no matter the circumstance. He gets paid to win. Period. After a while, if that does not happen, no matter the why...they, whelp, you know what happens.

I think our team needs go far beyond injuries. The past two years our starters look overmatched nearly across the board (Franklin the exception)...the healthy players look over matched. Even when our QB's and other positions were healthy, they were not all that impressive.
I think that no matter what if we don't win this year, Clint will be fired. Do I think he should go? I don't think we can find a much better coach than him at the FCS level without reaching out to a storied FCS program(kind of like Sam Houston did with Keeler). But no matter who we have as a coach, health will be what makes or breaks this team. We could have Mack Brown come in and head this team and if we don't keep our key players healthy it'd be hard to win.

I'm still very confident if any of the past 3 Clint Conque teams had been able to stay healthy, they're a solid 7 win team every year, if not a playoff team.
SFASawmillGuy
That being said, if Clint can't get it done this year I think we should look to the MVFC. Maybe a NDSU assistant or something.
lmbalum08
Not really sure how what I said meant Tom Herman said anything about Brady Attaway.
SFASawmillGuy
lmbalum08 said:

Not really sure how what I said meant Tom Herman said anything about Brady Attaway.

Brady Attaway honestly did have a pretty big upside. He played pretty well as a sophomore and really only started dipping in production during and after the prairie view game his junior season.
Not that Brady has anything to do with it but when he first replaced Jeremy Moses, the dude could sling it.
Jacks4460
SFA_03 said:

That being said, if Clint can't get it done this year I think we should look to the MVFC. Maybe a NDSU assistant or something.
03 my thoughts exactly... We should strive to be like NDSU in football and getting someone that has been in their program would be ideal...
TallTexan
If this season goes off the rails, Traylor is my ideal coach.
Gazette1
One reason we have so many quarterback and running back injuries is because our offensive lines are always weak.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Gazette1 said:

One reason we have so many quarterback and running back injuries is because our offensive lines are always weak.
Yep. Could be a relationship there.
PurpleOut
Staff
One less QB

MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

One less QB

Reckless speculation:

Every time I see this I think, "I was told I would play and then I get here and there are 3 other QB's ahead of me...I'm out. I'm not gonna wait."
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

PurpleOut said:

One less QB

Reckless speculation:

Every time I see this I think, "I was told I would play and then I get here and there are 3 other QB's ahead of me...I'm out. I'm not gonna wait."

In fairness, he likely saw no way to the starting job. Foster is likely to win the starting job this fall, and Covey or Blumrick will be the starter next year. That leaves him competing against Cam Arnold or whoever else comes in. And that would be his senior season only.
Rodray
Didn't pass the drug test!!!
SFASawmillGuy
Rodray said:

Didn't pass the drug test!!!
Do you know that for sure?
Rodray
That's the information I was given from a QB on the team.
Rodray
And also the QB battle will be between Blumrick and Sawyer. That is if Foster is healthy by the time practice starts.
SFASawmillGuy
Rodray said:

And also the QB battle will be between Blumrick and Sawyer. That is if Foster is healthy by the time practice starts.
You may be correct, but according to my sources close with the coaching staff, Clint is very big on both Covey and Sawyer. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Josh ends up ahead of Jake if he isn't already.

Nothing against Jake, but he's very much a game manager. Josh brings speed and Foster brings an amazing arm.
Rodray
Josh cant throw, and Foster is nursing a hurt shoulder he somehow injured in 7 on 7. I went to almost every game last year.. Everyone is so high on Foster but what did he do last year in his brief playing time that showed any type of evidence that he should be the starter. Our offensive line was terrible last year and dont br surprised if it isn't much better this year
They missed assignments allowing almost no time for the QB to get his feet set to make a throw. Our play calling was awful that's why Crotten (not sure on the spelling) isn't here anymore. If Blumricks not a good QB then neither was Zach or Hunter. It's going to be between Blumrick and Sawyer. Josh will go in on some 3rd and short plays to run the ball unless the new OC is not telling the truth. We'll just have to wait and see won't we..
SFASawmillGuy
Rodray said:

Josh cant throw, and Foster is nursing a hurt shoulder he somehow injured in 7 on 7. I went to almost every game last year.. Everyone is so high on Foster but what did he do last year in his brief playing time that showed any type of evidence that he should be the starter. Our offensive line was terrible last year and dont br surprised if it isn't much better this year
They missed assignments allowing almost no time for the QB to get his feet set to make a throw. Our play calling was awful that's why Crotten (not sure on the spelling) isn't here anymore. If Blumricks not a good QB then neither was Zach or Hunter. It's going to be between Blumrick and Sawyer. Josh will go in on some 3rd and short plays to run the ball unless the new OC is not telling the truth. We'll just have to wait and see won't we..

I'm starting to think the QB you know is Blumrick. Lol.
Clint is the new OC. There's no new OC. It's Clint. Foster is as injured during his short period of time as a starter, so his sample size is seriously tainted. Offensive line was terrible, granted, but Jake was just not the kind of QB to make big plays. I'm the BOTPW he had the game handed to him about 2 or 3 times and couldn't win it.
Again. Nothing against Jake. He limits mistakes. But he doesn't keep drives alive. He doesn't make big throws. He just kind of is there.
And josh cant throw? He's below average id say but his scrambling ability is definitely a huge plus.
Jacks4460
Clint is the new OC in no way is Jake better than Covey..
Rodray
Kevin Barbay is the new OC. And trust me when I'm telling you its between Sawyer and Blumrick unless they bring in another QB this summer because the loss of Zach Smith who is lights out. And did you see the beatings that Blumrick took last year, hit blindside several times a game. You give him time to at least go through some of his progressions and he'll make the plays. I haven't seen anything from any of the other QBs on their film or in person that makes me believe in game situations they are any better. Everyone looks good when there throwing against air and not having to make any decisions. But wait till the lights come on. Foster wasnt getting it done against ACU last year. My money's on Blumrick.
Jacks4460
Barbay is the QB coach.. You can't tell me they hire him from the player developement side of things and turn him into an OC .. I have read his coaching experience and I am not knocking coach Barbay .. He is not the OC if he was they would put that label on him... Clint has already sold his house or it's on the market forgot what I was told and I guarantee if my job was on the line I would be calling the plays.. if Jake is our QB then we are in trouble...
Rodray
Do you think every QB that goes to the Browns is a horrible QB? Why aren't they successful? Bad Ofensive line, receivers drop balls, not enough play makers? SFAs problem isn't the QB.. MacNesse rushed for over 500 yards on us last year, I guess we should blame Jake for that loss. Clint pulled the starters in the 4th quarter against Arkansas and put in Zach Smith, He was really determined to win that one. But I guess that was Jake's fault. The kid had a partial torn rotator cuff and damaged meniscus in his knee. Spent hours in rehab and never said no when it was his time to play. Players spoke out after that Arkansas game.. "we have to play to win, but ya'll have to coach us to win" Blumrick is not your problem, and the fact that your even blaming him for any of the losses is just crazy.
Jacks4460
I am not blaming Jake for any loses because ultimately you lose as a team... I am just saying if he is the best option we have then we are in trouble.. I would love him to help lead us to a conference championship.. I just don't see it happening.. I know the OLine was in bad shape I hope the JUCO help they got help them on that front....
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.