GAME THREAD: Southern Utah at SFA

18,496 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PineLogger04
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I "was" going to the battle of the piney woods.... That could be 80-0.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
drhuggybear
So is Conques job on the line this season? I apologize if this has been converted before. New here.
BigJack85
Thunderbirds be like sayin.... easiest away game ever.
BigJack85
To answer Huggy Bear It should be.
drhuggybear
BigJack85 said:

To answer Huggy Bear It should be.
Wikipedia has him at 17-18 so this would be his 4th season. Doesn't show what the length of his contract is. Just wondering.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Embarrassing does not adequately describe what I'm seeing. Definitely the worst half of a home game in all of my years supporting SFA athletics.

Geez, I can't wait for roundball season!
nacluth
It's the first half rope a dope. Remember when Villanova did this to us. They think we're down, and then the second half surprise.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
I expected some ups and downs. But now I'm just hoping for us to show up. Show up. This is a home game and we are down 31...... ugh.
nacluth
Makes you think...at least we didn't play Oregon.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
drhuggybear
Touchdown
TallTexan
So who's on our Head Coach Candidate List?

I think we've got to go to Jeff Traylor and make him tell us no. Time to bring him back home to SFA.
BigJack85
Wow. What's Isaac got to say on this.
nacluth
I bet Isaac is just trying to keep his wife sane by letting her sleep while trying to get as much sleep as possible. There's nothing like new parent exhaustion - though second is our defense's exhaustion after getting torched time and time again.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
I was really a fan of Conque. I'm not sure what went wrong. At this point.... and I know this sounds drastic but I would fire Conque tomorrow and let Crowton have a shot at it. He's been a successful HC.
MasterAxe
I hate to call for someone to get fired, but this is rock bottom for Conque. It's been a total regression since year 1.
MasterAxe
Nicholls going to toe-to-toe with Aggie.

Sam, Nicholls and UCA might beat us 180-0
TallTexan
We should have played another money game. If we're going to get the snot beat out of us, the least we could do is get paid for it.
BigJack85
I agree with Tall Texan. This is atrocious. I am flabbergasted that after 3 full seasons this is the best we can do. Signed Nauseous in Nacogdoches.
drhuggybear
MasterAxe said:

Nicholls going to toe-to-toe with Aggie.

Sam, Nicholls and UCA might beat us 180-0

I have been watching both games. Sad for me on both ends. A&M is imploding. I don't have enough info onSFA to make that call but looking at past records The Jacks don't seem to be improving
cboothe09
Nicholls and A&M tied in the 4th...
INiedrauer
Staff
Dunno what to say. I'm a lot more surprised than a lot of you I'm sure at how uninspired tonight was. It's a damn shame because there are good players on this team.

Technically, nothing really counts until the conference season starts but my thoughts on the quality of football in Nac in 2017 is significantly altered by the mess of tonight. I'm looking forward to being surprised but my initial feelings are....it could be a long year.

I'll have coach's audio up later. Feel free to drop questions in this thread for him.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
Ok. 28 yards rushing- any hope that will get better?

600 yards allowed. Secondary is getting thrashed. Is it the safeties or not stopping the run?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
MasterAxe
Question:

What in the world do we do during "preparation" time during the week?

Cause we sure as hell don't look or play like we prepared one bit.
nacluth
Hopefully the choir boys don't ring our bells next week.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Usually... usually you see the most improvement in a coaches 4th season. Not sure where we go from here.
BigJack85
My question for the coach is... even though SUU has a very good front seven why is it that we could only manage 25 yards on the ground. I mean some of that has to be play calling. We where play SUU not BYU.
W1964
Glad we got rid of those sorry defensive coaches. They won their game 45-7 this week.

Could it be the wrong coach was fired?
PurpleOut
Staff
% of winning the remaining games:

UIW - 85%
@ACU - 30%
McNeese - 15%
Sam - 5%
@UCA - 10%
HBU - 30%
@Lamar - 20%
Nicholls - 10%
@NWSt - 50%

Winning 3 or less seems very likely unless something drastic changes.
INiedrauer
Staff
My thoughts before the season were that Conque survives any season with more wins than losses. I think that's a fair benchmark at this point and nothing I've seen changes my thoughts there. There's time for him to make this team respectable (6-5 record or better) and get a 2018 season to actually contend. Or, they'll show the SFA administration more of the same and allow Mr. Hill & company time to move on.

The standard next season needs to be playoffs but that's premature right now. Win more than you lose and get another season.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFAXE93

At least we have volleyball.

BigJack85
Based on what I saw out there tonight..... and I stayed to almost the last minute this is a two or three win team at best.

2014 - 8-5 with JC's players 2015 - 4-7 2016 - 5-6. 2017??? I'm guessing 3-8.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Just wondering... How much of tonight's embarrassment can be tied to the team's youth and inexperience? After all, the majority of the team is sophomores and freshmen. Opinions?
MasterAxe
The "youth and inexperience" excuse to me is tired and lazy.

You can either play, or you can't.

And "youth and inexperience" has nothing to do with being prepared and playing with effort, of which, it looks like we do not and have very little of.
INiedrauer
Staff
I don't think youth and inexperience is lazy at all. It's a huge part of all college sports. It's the reason a generally bad HBU team is going to surprise lots of people. It's why SFA beat West Virginia in the NCAA Tournament. Experience is HUGE in college sports.

But it's not an excuse for tonight. Some growing pains and unforced errors, sure. Not 51-14.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PineLogger04
I watched every down of this game. I don't see anything that leads me to believe this team can win a single SLC game. Maybe UIW. Maybe. Sam will beat us by 70 if they want to. The talent is down. There is not a single component of this team that is performing well. Conque is a nice guy, but the fact is that this program has regressed under his leadership. UCA hasn't missed a beat since his departure. What more can be said? It's not working. I would say that SFA deserves better than this, but they don't. That damn student body rejected the athletic fee, so we can't afford a decent coach, or upgraded facilities that might help us recruit better players. We damn sure aren't going to have an easy time recruiting after we win only one game this season.

I had to remove myself from this stuff after the embarrassing loss to Sam last year. I tried to come back into this season with an open mind, and then we go lay a couple turd burgers to start the season. After the Sam loss, i said how bad this team is and some people roasted me for it. "Come on it's not that bad." Listen... this program is crap. It's very bad. It's the worst I have seen it since I started following the program in 2001.

-end rant-
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.