WEEK 8: (RV) SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

3,947 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
65tosspowertrap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85 said:

I won't disagree that 8-4 is an absolute stretch. Stretch. 7-5/6-6 seems like a low bar but you are correct. Carthel has had trouble closing the deal.

My sense is, that SFA administration and leadership knows that we should be better on the gridiron. And we are about to make some investments.

Carthel has one more year in his contract (after this year). Next year is an 11 game season. He (Carthel) has to know that 8-3 is the minimum next year 7-5 is the low bar for this year.

Maybe being able to keep some coaches will help us turn the corner. I've been watching since 1980. That's a lot of frustration.
I'm very curious as to what "investments" those are going to be. Please tell me they're going to go back to natural grass (a fantasy, I know).

It's heartening to know the administration gets it about the program. Stagnation is painful to watch. I do hope Carthel can keep his assistants and reduce that turnover. Maybe that will make a positive difference.

By the way, I've been watching since I came to SFA in '83, and I think the longest coaching tenure we've had is Jim Hess...7 years I think. I may be wrong; it may be a head coach before his arrival or after he departed. Those were good years. Had the privilege of being Pine Log sports editor one season and Hess was very kind and generous to me. Very good coach.
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
Ljacks&Longnecks
Since I didn't get to watch the game yesterday I can't pinpoint certain plays or calls. I do know that Q Jones and Blaine Green did not play. 2 huge parts of our offense this year. Everyone has injuries so not an excuse but a fact...a lot of missing firepower. Also listening on app, at one point our announcers said we were playing thin at D back and safety positions so I guess we have guys missing there as well.
We had a fail on offense in the last 2 minutes when we were going for it on 4th down at around the SELA 20. In this case I agreed with the call as a FG only took the lead up to 6 points. 4th and 3 and a first down would have allowed us to run out the clock but we have an illegal procedure penalty and then had to kick the FG.
I suppose someone could blame coaching for an illegal procedure.........

8-4 still possible but I would have us as underdogs to Nicholls and UIW for sure. I will say if we fall and end up 6-6 that I think that would need to bring changes in coaching. Realistically going from 3-8 last year to 8-4 this year would have to be considered a step forward, however if we finish 6-6 then we didn't obtain enough progress to warrant a status quo with this staff.
65tosspowertrap
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Since I didn't get to watch the game yesterday I can't pinpoint certain plays or calls. I do know that Q Jones and Blaine Green did not play. 2 huge parts of our offense this year. Everyone has injuries so not an excuse but a fact...a lot of missing firepower. Also listening on app, at one point our announcers said we were playing thin at D back and safety positions so I guess we have guys missing there as well.
We had a fail on offense in the last 2 minutes when we were going for it on 4th down at around the SELA 20. In this case I agreed with the call as a FG only took the lead up to 6 points. 4th and 3 and a first down would have allowed us to run out the clock but we have an illegal procedure penalty and then had to kick the FG.

8-4 still possible but I would have us as underdogs to Nicholls and UIW for sure. I will say if we fall and end up 6-6 that I think that would need to bring changes in coaching. Realistically going from 3-8 last year to 8-4 this year would have to be considered a step forward, however if we finish 6-6 then we didn't obtain enough progress to warrant a status quo with this staff.
Good points. We will just have to wait and see. SFA may run the table from this point forward and get to 9-3. I just don't see that happening. I thought SFA played as well as they could have played, and I don't even fault Carthel as I didn't see reckless decision making yesterday. SLU just had the better game strategy. That said, I see from a higher altitude look at this program is that it's not making forward progress (excuse the pun).
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
nacluth
RedRiverLa said:

nacluth said:

Fun fact. SLU RB Rodeo Graham has an older brother named Rodeo too.

His dad told me this ain't his first Rodeo.

You need to know that I enjoyed this pun. Well done.
Thanks Ron. Whenever you need someone to write humor copy, just consider this exhibit A of the kind of quality you will get for my application.
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

RedRiverLa said:

nacluth said:

Fun fact. SLU RB Rodeo Graham has an older brother named Rodeo too.

His dad told me this ain't his first Rodeo.

You need to know that I enjoyed this pun. Well done.
Thanks Ron. Whenever you need someone to write humor copy, just consider this exhibit A of the kind of quality you will get for my application.

Having happened during an SFA game, that confirms your humor comes from pain.
BigJack85
65tosspowertrap said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Good points. We will just have to wait and see. SFA may run the table from this point forward and get to 9-3. I just don't see that happening. I thought SFA played as well as they could have played, and I don't even fault Carthel as I didn't see reckless decision making yesterday. SLU just had the better game strategy. That said, I see from a higher altitude look at this program is that it's not making forward progress (excuse the pun).

7-5 is doable. And probably the most likely outcome. If they play up to the caliber of talent we have, we could finish 8-4. Certainly 8-4 would warrant another round. 90%. 7-5. Probably. At least a 70% chance of return.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
I think Chris has found a new gig on the team. Great kick!

SFASawmillGuy
I have no clue how I didn't notice we nearly beat such a good team without our starting QB, our leading receiver, and 2 starters in the secondary.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFASawmillGuy said:

I have no clue how I didn't notice we nearly beat such a good team without our starting QB, our leading receiver, and 2 starters in the secondary.

I assume you mean starting RB.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.