WEEK 3: (RV) MCNEESE

8,540 Views | 199 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by Ljacks&Longnecks
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've stood by. This is 100% in the NEW LEADERSHIP needed.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
RedRiverLa
Gonna be a long year. McNeese, unbelievable. Hate to say it cause it never crossed my mind, but just don't think Carthel is able to coach on this level.
BigJack85
Pathetic. The players deserve better

To me it's plainly obvious. Short of some miracle run, this is looking disastrous. Really,, anyone in the stands could see the idiocy. The players played hard. I don't think they were put in a position to win.
sfajack05
Leave Carthel and rest of the staff in Lake Charles.

Bunch of clowns cannot manage a game.
nacluth
Welcome back SLC. I've missed your disappointments.
AxeEm99
BigJack85 said:

I've stood by. This is 100% in the NEW LEADERSHIP needed.

Finally someone sees what I have been thinking for 3+ years!!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yep, have to say this one on the coaches AND Harmon's idiotic fumble away of a sure TD.

Play calling in 2nd half in particular was poor. Way too conservative as if sitting on big lead.

Prevent type defense failed as it often does.

No argument here. Epic Fail.
Pilotgirl
Carthel needed to go last year. And if this is what we keep producing, I'm all in on quitting FB and using that $$ for T&F and other sports. I'm beyond tired of being embarrassed by this FB program.
MasterAxe2
This program is a ****ing disgrace led by morons who are consistently putting our players in losing situations.

Allow me to state some FACTS:

Colby Carthel is now 27-32 at SFA.
Colby Carthel has 7 wins against "Below FCS level" teams and 10 losses to FBS teams...so he's actually 20-22
SFA has not beaten an FCS team in nearly a calendar year.
SFA is on a 7 game losing streak to FCS teams
SFA has five winning seasons since 2010.
SFA has not won a conference game since 2022

That's not a winning program. That's a perennial loser.

We're three games in and the season is basically on the brink. We'll have to win out (LOL) as an SLC team with two conference losses sure as **** isn't going to the playoffs.

Well done everyone.

But, on a side note: our social media team will put out some banger content with killer, groovy #hashtags

Our next opponent, Northern Colorado, is 0-3, so I am ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED we will take care of business with zero issues.

AxeEm99
Pilotgirl said:

Carthel needed to go last year. And if this is what we keep producing, I'm all in on quitting FB and using that $$ for T&F and other sports. I'm beyond tired of being embarrassed by this FB program.

So the last few years you have ridiculed and insulted me regarding these SAME comments, and now you are writing them??? WTH??? I find it incredibly interesting....
TallTexan
AxeEm99 said:

Pilotgirl said:

So the last few years you have ridiculed and insulted me regarding these SAME comments, and now you are writing them??? WTH??? I find it incredibly interesting....

We ridiculed you for lusting after Sam and lack of an ability to understand that correlation isn't causation.
RedRiverLa
When you players make stupid plays or out you in bad situations, you have to be the smart one as the coach. When the players and the coach operate on the same iq level, there needs to be a change. Saying that we should quit football is a silly heat of the moment statement.
MasterAxe2
This is a massive topic detour: How do I post a picture? Is that even possible?
AxeEm99
TallTexan said:

AxeEm99 said:

Pilotgirl said:

We ridiculed you for lusting after Sam and lack of an ability to understand that correlation isn't causation.

We are finally all recognizing the "causation" now!! You hire right and you have success!! Sam has made PLENTY of "right" moves. That is why they are where they are at, and why we are still aimlessly trying to find our way 20 years later!!
BigJack85
Ya. It's such a colossal failure.

1. The play calling at the end of the half??????
2. Not taking the FG
3. Not taking the FG
4. Wasting a beautiful performance by Q Jones.

Any one of those you could live with. But 3X.
MasterAxe2
Our program encapsulated in a graph:

Pilotgirl
AxeEm99 said:

Pilotgirl said:

I've hardly interacted with you. I made a total of 7 posts in FB last szn and Texan is right...it's embarrassing how much you love SAM. Otherwise, I don't interact with you. Texan, of all people, knows how long I've been on the 'let go of Carthel' train...and it wasn't just this weekend lol Why does my post bother you so much when I hardly even post on FB threads anyway?! That's so weird to me haha
MasterAxe2
BigJack85 said:

2. Not taking the FG
3. Not taking the FG

Allow me to contribute, if you may:

5. Deciding to play prevent with 8:00 left in the game.
6: Fumble by Harmon (not a coaching error, but a game-altering error)

Feel free to add more.
BigJack85
MasterAxe2 said:

BigJack85 said:

2. Not taking the FG
3. Not taking the FG

Allow me to contribute, if you may:

5. Deciding to play prevent with 8:00 left in the game.
6: Fumble by Harmon (not a coaching error, but a game-altering error)

Feel free to add more.

Ya This one takes the cake. For sure.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Don't forget 6 or 7 DB's not intercepting or knocking down the Hail Mary.
Pilotgirl
RedRiverLa said:

When you players make stupid plays or out you in bad situations, you have to be the smart one as the coach. When the players and the coach operate on the same iq level, there needs to be a change. Saying that we should quit football is a silly heat of the moment statement.

No sillier than us losing that game lol
In all seriousness, I see your point for sure. However, us continuing on this trajectory (for the past few seasons) is also silly.
AxeEm99
Pilotgirl said:

AxeEm99 said:

Pilotgirl said:

I've hardly interacted with you. I made a total of 7 posts in FB last szn and Texan is right...it's embarrassing how much you love SAM. Otherwise, I don't interact with you. Texan, of all people, knows how long I've been on the 'let go of Carthel' train...and it wasn't just this weekend lol Why does my post bother you so much when I hardly even post on FB threads anyway?! That's so weird to me haha

I actually despise Sam. My dad was a Prof there for 35 years. I chose SFA because I could not stand the attitudes of faculty and staff. I did not experience any of that at SFA. Everyone was caring and compassionate. (Some alumni on this forum not so much...)

I saw what SH accomplished from a first person view. I know the back stories and what the steps were that got them there and why they did what they did. We have a great University, but we are so far behind because of poor leadership. I think we turned a corner with UT, Weaver, and McBroom! But as you witnessed AGAIN tonight, we are still years away from success in Football.
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

RedRiverLa said:

In all seriousness, I see your point for sure. However, us continuing on this trajectory (for the past few seasons) is also silly.

Players are going to make mistakes. The one that Harmon made is a tough one. The rest of the stuff was run of the mill mistakes that get cleaned up over the season.

But, the unwillingness to play the best odds, is mysterious.
Pilotgirl
Agreed!
MasterAxe2
I think the most frustrating part about tonight (and to a larger extent the last few years) is that I feel like we lose games more than the other team wins.

Like, McN did nothing to win the game, it was entirely on us losing it.

Several games were like that last year...remember that Utah Tech debacle, or Austin Peay, or UCA? All winnable games...except we shot ourselves in the face.

It is happening way more frequently that it needs to.

Ljacks&Longnecks
That's what I like about you Master2, you present facts, and put forward real points and arguments to back your position....
as opposed to fawning over other schools and repeating the same exact lines over and over.

Yep, thinking back on those games plus the disaster that was tonight, you make points that can't be refuted.

With new leadership at SFA, tonight's game may well be a backbreaker for Carthel's time here. New leaders will likely want to put their own stamp on the programs and tonight's debacle is undefendable.
RedRiverLa
Pilotgirl said:

RedRiverLa said:

I definitely agree with the last part 100%
RedRiverLa
BigJack85 said:

Pilotgirl said:

RedRiverLa said:

Players are going to make mistakes. The one that Harmon made is a tough one. The rest of the stuff was run of the mill mistakes that get cleaned up over the season.

But, the unwillingness to play the best odds, is mysterious.
i agree, although I wouldn't call the hail mary a run of the mill mistake. That and Harmon, two massive mistakes, could have still been overcome with good coaching in other areas of the game, but weren't
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe2 said:

I think the most frustrating part about tonight (and to a larger extent the last few years) is that I feel like we lose games more than the other team wins.

Like, McN did nothing to win the game, it was entirely on us losing it.

Several games were like that last year...remember that Utah Tech debacle, or Austin Peay, or UCA? All winnable games...except we shot ourselves in the face.

It is happening way more frequently that it needs to.

What I love about this is that you went right past the typical 'shot oirselves in the foot' analogy to the mortal wound of 'shot ourselves in the face'. This feels like the mortal wound of the Carthel era. Very prophetic.
SFASawmillGuy
Just got back from Lake Charles, feeling really depressed, but I guess here's my thoughts on the game.

-The Offensive playcalling was weird. Some drives it was really conservative and we stalled out and some drives we mixed it up, was aggressive, and got points. I have no clue why we don't just try and keep the pedal to the metal every drive and do what works more often than not. Vidlak is a solid QB and Jones runs like Gus Johnson with a little extra speed. Why can't we use them both in the same drive effectively?

-Our defense is way too good for this result. McNeese couldn't do a thing against us in the first half outside of a lucky Hail Mary. For some reason we panicked defensively in our playcalling when there was no reason to and backed off, leaving pretty much everything underneath wide open.

-Finally the long point. I have been one of the biggest "Carthel Apologists", and for good reason. He's a hell of a recruiter and players coach. He has built probably some of the strongest overall SFA rosters the school has ever seen and has them believing they can beat anyone, be it number 1 ranked Sam Houston or any FBS team we play. That being said, yes, he's proven time and time again he does not know how to manage a game. We have an all-American kicker who for the past 2 years has not even given a chance to kick. I feel awful for Campos because he is a legit NFL kicker who might miss out on opportunities because he's not getting his chances on the field. Outside of that, that's 6 points today we left on the field by not letting him kick.

The end of the first half was poorly managed.

And the final quarter was us playing not to lose, not trying to close it out.

And these are issues that have been consistently present, especially in close games and most of last season. I had hoped we would see us get back to the success he had built up from 2019-2021, but we have continually regressed, and absolutely none of that is on the players or the talent or our team. For some reason the strategies by the coaches have gotten worse each year.

I doubt we will find a coach who can recruit as consistently as Carthel, but at this point building these star studded rosters isn't getting it done. And I don't want to lose Mutz, his defense is very good and aggressive.

I said last season that this season was going to basically be playoff or close to it so bust. Well now it's probably win out or bust. I think everyone expected a head scratcher or two, but this one was a total collapse. It will be very hard to recover from this one unless we just dominate the rest of the schedule. We have the talent to. It's now on Carthel to figure out quickly how to manage the games and get this team to finish.

If he can't, I have no doubt McBroom is already getting a list of names to call.

Also it was great meeting BigJack85 at the game. Next time let's get a bottle of Stone Fort to help the game be less painful.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

Just got back from Lake Charles, feeling really depressed, but I guess here's my thoughts on the game.

-The Offensive playcalling was weird. Some drives it was really conservative and we stalled out and some drives we mixed it up, was aggressive, and got points. I have no clue why we don't just try and keep the pedal to the metal every drive and do what works more often than not. Vidlak is a solid QB and Jones runs like Gus Johnson with a little extra speed. Why can't we use them both in the same drive effectively?

-Our defense is way too good for this result. McNeese couldn't do a thing against us in the first half outside of a lucky Hail Mary. For some reason we panicked defensively in our playcalling when there was no reason to and backed off, leaving pretty much everything underneath wide open.

-Finally the long point. I have been one of the biggest "Carthel Apologists", and for good reason. He's a hell of a recruiter and players coach. He has built probably some of the strongest overall SFA rosters the school has ever seen and has them believing they can beat anyone, be it number 1 ranked Sam Houston or any FBS team we play. That being said, yes, he's proven time and time again he does not know how to manage a game. We have an all-American kicker who for the past 2 years has not even given a chance to kick. I feel awful for Campos because he is a legit NFL kicker who might miss out on opportunities because he's not getting his chances on the field. Outside of that, that's 6 points today we left on the field by not letting him kick.

The end of the first half was poorly managed.

And the final quarter was us playing not to lose, not trying to close it out.

And these are issues that have been consistently present, especially in close games and most of last season. I had hoped we would see us get back to the success he had built up from 2019-2021, but we have continually regressed, and absolutely none of that is on the players or the talent or our team. For some reason the strategies by the coaches have gotten worse each year.

I doubt we will find a coach who can recruit as consistently as Carthel, but at this point building these star studded rosters isn't getting it done. And I don't want to lose Mutz, his defense is very good and aggressive.

I said last season that this season was going to basically be playoff or close to it so bust. Well now it's probably win out or bust. I think everyone expected a head scratcher or two, but this one was a total collapse. It will be very hard to recover from this one unless we just dominate the rest of the schedule. We have the talent to. It's now on Carthel to figure out quickly how to manage the games and get this team to finish.

If he can't, I have no doubt McBroom is already getting a list of names to call.

Also it was great meeting BigJack85 at the game. Next time let's get a bottle of Stone Fort to help the game be less painful.

Well said. Nailed every point. Including the final one (Stone fort whiskey).

October 5th. We try again. Carthel needs some introspection. I don't want to see us "start over" AGAIN, but unless he can pull together 7 or 8 wins this season, I feel like we need to closely examine a leadership change.

The play calling In critical situations seems sketchy. Often….
SFAXE93
Loss in the 4th quarter list (13)

SFA:38
Southern Utah:31
4th Quarter (1:12) Loss OT 38-45

SFA:20
Sam Houston State:17
4th Quarter (6:20) Loss 20-31

Sam Houston State:14
4th Quarter (2:33) Loss 20-21

SFA:24
Jacksonville State:20
4th Quarter (1:45) Loss 24-28

SFA:28
UIW:21
4th Quarter (0:31) Loss OT 28-35

SFA:16
Sam Houston State:10
4th Quarter (0:35) Loss 16-17

SFA:44
Utah Tech:40
4th Quarter (0:47) Loss 44-47

Austin Peay:14
4th Quarter (9:46) Loss 20-22

Utah Tech:17
4th Quarter (9:03) Loss 31-37

SFA:21
UCA:17
4th Quarter (2:05) Loss 21-24

SFA:27
ACU:27
4th Quarter (6:20) Loss 27-34

EKU:16
4th Quarter (13:56) Loss 24-36

McNeese:21
4th Quarter (0:30) Loss 24-28
MasterAxe2
SFAXE93 said:

Loss in the 4th quarter list (13)

SFA:38
Southern Utah:31
4th Quarter (1:12) Loss OT 38-45

Sam Houston State:17
4th Quarter (6:20) Loss 20-31

Sam Houston State:14
4th Quarter (2:33) Loss 21-20

Jacksonville State:20
4th Quarter (1:45) Loss 24-28

SFA:28
UIW:21
4th Quarter (0:31) Loss OT 28-35

Sam Houston State:10
4th Quarter (0:35) Loss 16-17

SFA:44
Utah Tech:40
4th Quarter (0:47) Loss 44-47

Austin Peay:14
4th Quarter (9:46) Loss 20-22

Utah Tech:17
4th Quarter (9:03) Loss 31-37

SFA:21
UCA:17
4th Quarter (2:05) Loss 21-24

SFA:27
ACU:27
4th Quarter (6:20) Loss 34-27

EKU:16
4th Quarter (13:56) Loss 24-36

McNeese:21
4th Quarter (0:30) Loss 24-28

This is Big J Journalism
AxeEm99
Does not get much clearer than this. You could also say this really represents the last 25 years of the prpgram in general...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Eye-opening!

I literally lost two hours of sleep last night thinking about the game, especially the fumble and touchback. We lost by 4 and gave away 7 right there. I could use a good quack right about now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.