WEEK 12: EASTERN KENTUCKY

3,486 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by nacluth
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (3-7; 0-5) VS. EASTERN KENTUCKY (4-6; 3-2)

WHEN: Nov. 18, 2023 (Sat.) 1:00 P.M.
WHERE: Richmond, Kentucky (Roy Kidd Stadium)
TV: ESPN+
Senior and Band Day

SFA leads the SERIES 2-0-0

W 2022: 31-17 (Home)
W 2021: 24-6 (Away)

Heart breaking loss for the Colonels of Eastern Kentucky who looked to be on their way to their 4th win in conference play over the 2nd place and #25th ranked Central Arkansas Bears in Conway, when on a miracle and a prayer of a throw from UCA QB Will McElvain to the end-zone with time expiring, a deflected ball falling into the arms of a falling Bear receiver to the goal line for a TD for an unbelievable 27-24 victory. (But then again UCA has been doing miracles all season.)

The Colonels offense is lead by senior QB #18 Parker McKinney 6-3; 208 who has 2,399 yards off of 202 completions with 17 TD's and 11 INT's. McKinney also adds a bit of a running game with 223 yards and 3 scores.

The ground game is a combo of RB #32 Joshua Carter 5-9; 215 and RB #21 Braedon Sloan 5-11; 210 who have combined for 1,217 yards (6.0 yards per carry) and 12 TD's. Down the field look for WR #3 Jaden Smith 5-10; 195 who leads the team with 57 catches for 621 yards and 5 TD's.

The defense up front, has leading tackler LB #11 Logan Blake 6-2; 240 with TKL 114; TFL 10.5; SCK 2.5; INT:2 in the secondary DB #24 Mike Smith Jr. 6-1; 205 and DB #2 Franky West Jr. 5-11; 190 along with Blake have combined for 16 PBU's.

As a defensive unit, the Colonels give up over 180 yards rushing and 313 yards through the air a game.

Can the Lumberjacks avoid a winless conference season, and their 6th straight loss, something that has not happened at SFA in 16 years (2007)

SFA and EKU have something in common, besides losing records, they both have had the UAC Championship Game opponents on the ropes and near defeat during the regular season, but in the end could not seal the deal.

So, who gets it done in Richmond?

Axe'Em
RedRiverLa
Great write up. Honestly, there's nothing I've seen over the last two games that makes me think we will show up
and get done.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
BigJack85
RedRiverLa said:

Great write up. Honestly, there's nothing I've seen over the last two games that makes me think we will show up
and get done.

Trying not be cynical…. My initial response, why bother.

Ok, I snapped out of it. Go Jacks Go, Fight Jacks Fight, Win Jacks Win. SFASU.
MasterAxe
Feels like this could be a lovely 12-12 tie.

That way both teams leave the season with...something.
sfajack05
Maybe that pride will show up this week.
sfajack05
BigJack85 said:

RedRiverLa said:

and get done.

Trying not be cynical…. My initial response, why bother.

Ok, I snapped out of it. Go Jacks Go, Fight Jacks Fight, Win Jacks Win. SFASU.

Hasn't been much go, fight, or win this year.
65tosspowertrap
I've been thinking about how this season has gone, and I can't help but think of the parallels to the '87 season.

The Jacks went 3-7-1 (the tie being to a truly awful Prairie View A&M). Their starting quarterback -- a young Todd Hammel -- was injured for most of the year. They went through two pretty not-so-good backups. They went through kickers until they found a good one. They could not score points, but they had the makings of an incredible defense, which would get stronger as time went by. There were stars in waiting, such as Larry Centers, Hammel, David Whitmore, Eric Lokey and Eric Wright. But they struggled horribly, and Coach Hess decided to make some changes in the off-season.

The next year they went 10-3. They beat the defending national champion, Northeast Louisiana, then upset the then No. 1 team in the country, North Texas, and for a couple of weeks SFA was actually the top-ranked team in 1AA. They ended the season losing in the playoffs to Georgia Southern.

The moral of the story is -- in my humble opinion -- it is possible for a dramatic turnaround in one year. Are there future stars like Centers on today's squad? Who knows? Maybe. If Carthel is retained -- and I believe he will be -- he obviously needs to change this program in the off-season. It can be done. If he's willing.

Just sharing some historical precedent, with a side order of hope...
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
SFASawmillGuy
65tosspowertrap said:

I've been thinking about how this season has gone, and I can't help but think of the parallels to the '87 season.

The Jacks went 3-7-1 (the tie being to a truly awful Prairie View A&M). Their starting quarterback -- a young Todd Hammel -- was injured for most of the year. They went through two pretty not-so-good backups. They went through kickers until they found a good one. They could not score points, but they had the makings of an incredible defense, which would get stronger as time went by. There were stars in waiting, such as Larry Centers, Hammel, David Whitmore, Eric Lokey and Eric Wright. But they struggled horribly, and Coach Hess decided to make some changes in the off-season.

The next year they went 10-3. They beat the defending national champion, Northeast Louisiana, then upset the then No. 1 team in the country, North Texas, and for a couple of weeks SFA was actually the top-ranked team in 1AA. They ended the season losing in the playoffs to Georgia Southern.

The moral of the story is -- in my humble opinion -- it is possible for a dramatic turnaround in one year. Are there future stars like Centers on today's squad? Who knows? Maybe. If Carthel is retained -- and I believe he will be -- he obviously needs to change this program in the off-season. It can be done. If he's willing.

Just sharing some historical precedent, with a side order of hope...

To sum it up. 65tosspowertrap guarantees a natty in the next 2 years. Love it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Good post, 65. Good to see a Sawmiller write a FB post that's actually worth reading. Those have been few and far between the last few weeks.

I remember that Jacks team and great players you mentioned. I was there for many of those games, including the I-AA national championship game in Statesboro. Great memories.

Can SFA repeat that rapid climb?? I have my doubts, but we shall see...
TallTexan
Improved QB play would go a long way. That's not to say the guy isn't already on the roster, but that alone would probably have us sitting on the cusp of a winning season.

D Coordinator continuity will help too if we can keep him. Makes a huge difference on the defensive side when you have the same guy calling plays multiple years.
SFAXE93
65tosspowertrap
Purple and White. School colors. Hallelujah.

SFAXE93
OK, 1:00

65tosspowertrap
Watching A&M game at the same time I'm watching this one. ACU quarterback looks terrific. How are they 5-5? Their defense is giving A&M fits and McIvor looks like a world-beater

SFASawmillGuy
Awfully quiet in here when we're playing a good game.
AxeEm99
SFASawmillGuy said:

Awfully quiet in here when we're playing a good game.

But we are not playing a good game....
SFAXE93
Rikel having a career game with 2 TD's (almost 3 as he dropped one)
AxeEm99
How does 0-6 feel?? Ya'll tired of this yet??
SFAJack_76
AxeEm99 said:

I'm tired of you and your constant negativity. What have you done to support SFA student athletes?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Commitments kept me from watching today but did fire up 107.7 a few times when given the chance. Sounded competitive today but still too many FGs and not enough touchdowns. Then the big play for EKU to seal it.
Disappointed that Weeks didn't play today (unless he got in sometime when I wasn't listening) for his final game.
sfajack05
Well glad that's over.
RedRiverLa
Just glad this season is over. First to worst. We turned around a turn around in the program. Many programs have an unexpected disaster of a year. Carthel's never been in this situation. I'm curious to see how he responds, so I'm with him for one more year…well at least the start of one more year. Don't like being the Northwestern State of the United Conference.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
Disagreements and negativity are allowed. Personal attacks are not. Please control online tempers.
AxeEm99
SFAJack_76 said:

AxeEm99 said:

I'm tired of you and your constant negativity. What have you done to support SFA student athletes?

Well for starters, I donate to SFA every year. In addition, I have SFA plates and Lifetime Alumni stickers on both cars. I also have a flag in my yard year round.
I earned the opportunity to have an opinion in 1999 when I walked across the stage!!

SFA has been laughing stock in football for 25+ years and that is still not changing, while Tarleton, SH and other institutions use the success of their programs to significantly boost enrollment.and greatly benefit the image of the university as a whole.
That could be us but we are stuck in reverse AGAIN!!

MasterAxe
I know the season sucked, but I appreciate everyone on the board and the season-long banter.

I look forward to moving to the MBB board where, I hope, the nuanced, thoughtful, and non-hyperbolic comments continue.

sfajack05
If he runs out the same coaching staff and same schemes next year then it'll just be a repeat of this year.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

AxeEm99 said:

Agree 76. I've had my criticisms, but AxeEm99 - you're irretrievable. Worse than the 1980 Lumberjacks, that I had the privilege of watching. AxeEm99 - the sooner you find some balance, the better.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ah Master, I always enjoy looking for your posts. Even when we disagree your comments are thought out, often insightful, sometime humorous, and have substance to them pertaining to the subject at hand.
Carry on sir.
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Ah Master, I always enjoy looking for your posts. Even when we disagree your comments are thought out, often insightful, sometime humorous, and have substance to them pertaining to the subject at hand.
Carry on sir.

Just wait till hoops talk gets going, where I'm always calm, cool, and full of substance
AxeEm99
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

AxeEm99 said:

Agree 76. I've had my criticisms, but AxeEm99 - you're irretrievable. Worse than the 1980 Lumberjacks, that I had the privilege of watching. AxeEm99 - the sooner you find some balance, the better.

I have good balance. What is not good balance is when we defend mediocre and are OK with 0-6!! My boss would not allow me to stay with that kind of performance, and neither would yours (if you are still working.).
I have seen plenty of people promise me the World in my lifetime, and they never deliver. Why not just be real???
Our University deserves better!!
Jacks4460
All your negativity is getting old.. go somewhere else and preach it but not here.. and you need to go be your own Boss..
AxeEm99
Jacks4460 said:

All your negativity is getting old.. go somewhere else and preach it but not here.. and you need to go be your own Boss..

I was my own boss for approximately 20 years. I did not allow mediocrity there either....
65tosspowertrap
Keep the faith, fellas. It'll get better. It's got to.

65tosspowertrap
I know it's off topic, but I'm rooting for former Lumberjack Jeff Traylor for the A&M job. I'm biased as I'm from Gilmer and remember him as a skinny kid in high school. He probably won't get the job as he's not high profile enough for the mega-millionaire donors, but I'm rooting for him just the same. He's just a darn good football coach.

Jacks4460
AxeEm99 said:

Jacks4460 said:

I was my own boss for approximately 20 years. I did not allow mediocrity there either....

I don't believe you.. your comments aren't Boss material.. go back to the hole you came from.. or better yet why don't I get a meeting for you to talk all your Shiiiiii to Coach Carthel face to face and not bash him and our team from a keyboard like you do..
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.