WEEK 5: TEXAS A&M - COMMERCE

4,864 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by BigJack85
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (2-2) VS. TEXAS A&M - COMMERCE (0-3)

WHEN: Sept. 30, 2023 (Sat.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: Nacogdoches, Texas (Homer Bryce Stadium)
TV: ESPN+

SERIES

Texas A&M - Commerce (East Texas State University) leads the series 43-13-1

These two schools have playerd each off and on since 1924 with the last two meetings going the way of the Lumberjack 48-21 in 2000 and 38-17 in 2014 (When our very own Colby Carthel was their head coach).

The Lions of Texas A&M - Commerce will make the short trip to the Nac. on Saturday, to face their old adversary, for what could very well be called the Battle of East Texas.

TAMUC has had a brutal schedule this season playing two top 20 FCS programs in (#16 UC Davis, #8 Sac State) and one FBS one with Old Dominion on the road.

Last Saturday the Lions gave Old Dominion all they could handle in a defensive showdown in Virginia (both teams were scoreless at the half) until TAMUC scoried on a field goal to take a 3-0 lead in the 3rd quarter, before ODU answered, eventually building up their own lead of 10-3 in the 4th.

Commerce scored a late TD with 28 seconds remaining in the game and decided to go for the win but failed on the 2-point conversion, that lead to the Monarchs' 10-9 victory.

To say that the Lions offense is struggling would be an understatement, as they have manage just 8 points a game while giving up 31. As a team Commerce averages 134 yards on the ground and 113 through the air, while surrendering 458 total yards a game on defense.

The starting QB is junior transfer #2 Peter Parrish 6-1; 192 a former 4-star recruit that signed with LSU out of high school. For the season he has completed 25 passes for 212 yards with no TD's and 4 INT's, while rushing for 73 yards and a score. Parrish has been known to be pulled momentarily this season for QB #1 Josh Magana 6-1; 203 who has completed 13 passes for 132 yards and 2 TDs and no INT's. The team actually has 10 QB's listed on their roster, including last season's starter, Eric Rodriguez.

Commerce likes to run multiple running backs (up to 3 get the bulk of the load) and they have combined for 323 yards (3.3 average) and 1 score.

The secondary is the strength of their defense and is lead by senior DB #0 Daryion Taylor 5-10; 160 who has 26 TKL's; 1 for a loss, 1 INT, and sophomore DB #10 Jordan Polk 6-0; 182 with his 2 TFL's and 2 sacks with an INT.

After a real head shaker against Austin Peay, the Jacks are already in a hole, in this young 2023 season. There are no more games to give after this one, and the climb begins now, to rid ourselves of that bad taste of defeat and to replace it with the sweet taste of victory, which will come at the expense of the final non-conference foe this Saturday at Homer Bryce Stadium, as it is now our turn to chase the Lion.

Axe'Em
Ljacks&Longnecks
Wow, East Texas St sure took us to the woodshed for the vast majority of that series. Sure hope we can rebound and add one win to our total.
BigJack85
It's hard to go into this game with a ton of optimism, but the defense "generally" has looked really good. Really good.

The offense is a mystery to me. Seems like we can be explosive at times and then just ……..

I'll be there. In person.
SFASawmillGuy
A couple of "enlightening" thoughts. Even during Commerce's 2017 national title run, they dropped a head scratcher to Midwestern State earlier in the season before rebounding to run the table and win a natty.

In 2010 when SFA was dominating with the nations top offense, best scoring defense, and won back to back conference titles we lost to Texas State after I believe a 28-0 lead at halftime.

Point is, I'm not gonna be down on our team after it's first bad game of the year. I'd much rather it happen in week 4 than later on. Plenty of time to retake our momentum where we need it most!
SFAXE93
Unfortunately, we could never beat Texas State, even in our best years.

And I misspelled Texas in the Title for Texas A&M - Commerce if someone can fixed that for me that would be great!
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
TallTexan
Is there a ticket discount for any of these theme days. First responder day, educator appreciation day, etc?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Allow me to insert a bit of trvia related to the SFA vs. East Texas State football rivalry/history...

Many of you may not know that prior to the early 1970's, the SFA fight song was "Dixie". In 1970 (I think it was) the school got really fired up that season about playing ETSU, so they took a couple of busloads of students to the game in Commerce. A very strong wind was blowing from one direction the whole game, there were about 80 points scored between the two teams, and every touchdown came with the wind at the offenses' backs. Neither defense could stop anything.

Here's the crazy part... Well into the game the offensive fireworks had already started, the crowd was really into the game, and the SFA band, which had made the trip, started playing "Dixie". Halfway through the song an SFA administrator stepped in and ordered the the band to stop playing it. All of the SFA students were livid. The song was the school fight song. How dare you! In the minds of the students, there were no thoughts about the history of the song or its historical connection to the Civil War days. By golly, it was the fight song!

And with that, on that day, at that game, "Dixie" was dropped as the official SFA fight song, never to be played again.

And there you have a little-known footnote in the SFA/A&M Commerce football history.

Now back to this week's game...
SFAXE93
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

Just did. Che k mark.
SFAXE93
SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Allow me to insert a bit of trvia related to the SFA vs. East Texas State football rivalry/history...

Many of you may not know that prior to the early 1970's, the SFA fight song was "Dixie". In 1970 (I think it was) the school got really fired up that season about playing ETSU, so they took a couple of busloads of students to the game in Commerce. A very strong wind was blowing from one direction the whole game, there were about 80 points scored between the two teams, and every touchdown came with the wind at the offenses' backs. Neither defense could stop anything.

Here's the crazy part... Well into the game the offensive fireworks had already started, the crowd was really into the game, and the SFA band, which had made the trip, started playing "Dixie". Halfway through the song an SFA administrator stepped in and ordered the the band to stop playing it. All of the SFA students were livid. The song was the school fight song. How dare you! In the minds of the students, there were no thoughts about the history of the song or its historical connection to the Civil War days. By golly, it was the fight song!

And with that, on that day, at that game, "Dixie" was dropped as the official SFA fight song, never to be played again.

And there you have a little-known footnote in the SFA/A&M Commerce football history.

Now back to this week's game...

I did not know that. I do remember one line of Dixe played at the end of the National Anthem in the '80s. IIRC that version was arranged by a band director from Lamar. I am glad it's gone.
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
GAMEDAY!!!
SFAXE93
Let's get a winning streak going right here, right now, today, one that they will be talking about in November.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Cally Belcher Day. Glad they still honor his memory this way.
SFAXE93
Ljacks&Longnecks
Audio is terrible again to begin broadcast.
Jyank24
The whole broadcast is horrible. I wonder if Ivey has ever attempted to watch it? Hard to fathom it would be acceptable, this is what our recruits see from afar?
Pilotgirl
Our production is so embarrassing. We've watched 3 WAC games, with no production issues today. I'm not even apologizing any more, but this production is straight trash. We gotta step up and do something different. The pieces are there.
Jyank24
Strong first drive, very Methodical 7 minute drive for 7.

Great Start!!!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Completely agree on the embarrassment of our broadcast. Can't believe that it can be this bad week after week.

Audio sounds like it's coming from the bottom of a well. The down and yards to go not working either after on the first series it was reading 3rd and goal when we were on our own 25.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Nice time consuming drive for TD. Harris becoming the go to receiver.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Another big play bites the defense so just that quick 7-7
SFASawmillGuy
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Another big play bites the defense so just that quick 7-7

Just a really well done misdirection. Entire defense bit on it.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Agree, well run play. That said, big plays have been the Achillies heel of the defense. Play by play we match up well each game but 2-3 times a game we get bit. Hurt us last week.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Nice catch by Wafer. Would like to see him more involved.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Nice TD for Williams. 3 receiving TD this year.
MasterAxe
The surprise onside against (arguably) the worst team in all of FCS seems like an odd choice.

We're gonna do everything we can to let TAMU-C stay in this game, aren't we?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Not a bad gamble with the onside kick but it just wouldn't get that 10th yard.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Just like we planned it Master!!
SFASawmillGuy
I like how we're spreading the ball out on offense. 5 different jacks have caught passes.
SFASawmillGuy
Audio slowly improving throughout the night.
SFASawmillGuy
They're not even trying to keep the QB in the pocket. Lots of rollouts we will need to counter.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.