WEEK 0: JACKSONVILLE STATE

18,845 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And as if to add insult to injury, Max Quick, one of the best punters at any level in the country, dropped the ball on the one yard line and gifted JSU with 7 more points!!
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

Nice assessment 76 and I agree.. Only thing I would add is that Chad Aune needs to catch the ball on critical 3rd and short yardage.. Trae put the ball in his chest twice and both times he dropped the ball.
Agree.

It was good seeing you and your dad.
Jacksfan93
You are calling out one individual player in a 42-17 loss? Drops, bad snaps, not on same page with receivers for whatever reason, dropped punt…etc? Get my point? The only reason someone would call out the QB is if their kid was a backup QB or you really don't understand the game.
BigJack85
Jacksfan93 said:

You are calling out one individual player in a 42-17 loss? Drops, bad snaps, not on same page with receivers for whatever reason, dropped punt…etc? Get my point? The only reason someone would call out the QB is if their kid was a backup QB or you really don't understand the game.

It doesn't read to me like a parent of a player. Don't see it from that perspective.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacksfan93
I hope not, as a matter of fact, I hope no player or parents of a player follow this forum and see how quickly their fan base turn on them at the first sign of trouble. I for one still have high hopes. I've been a fan for a very long time and can't wait to see how strong the jacks come back next Sat.
Kat1990
AxeEm99 said:

Yes, and the announcers (and Kat1990) will gladly remind us weekly about the 30 point loss and our former ranking!!
I think you have me confused with MK
I just came to read the fan meltdown comments
Its a marathon not a sprint many teams have rebounded after horrible openers
SFASawmillGuy
Kat1990 said:

AxeEm99 said:

Yes, and the announcers (and Kat1990) will gladly remind us weekly about the 30 point loss and our former ranking!!

I keep wanting to reference that time y'all got blown out by a D2 school only to have a really good playoff run but it just doesn't feel right comparing us to our biggest rival.
PurpleOut
Staff
Jacksfan93 said:

People, yes we fans as well, are allowed to have opinions. He called out the defense and the offense creativity in the same post.

Unfortunately, I agree with all three of those comments and call-outs.
Jacksfan93
Yes, EVERYONE is allowed to have opinions. Never said anything to the contrary. This forum allows opinions and responses to opinions correct? If so then my response to the original post is also directed at you respectfully.
TheRevSFA
To me the game was about missed opportunities as well as the inability to adjust defensively.

SFA was up 17-7, had the opportunity to step on JSU's throat and go up 20-7 or 24-7 before half and instead used conservative play calling and had a 3 and out which then allowed JSU to score and make it 17-14 and that was the start of the tide turning.

Our defense could not adjust. JSU wasn't creative; they ran the same RPO for most of the game and two of Zion Webb's 3 TDs were using the SAME FREAKING PLAY but flipped.

We have to find another focal point in the offense besides Gipson. Defenses are going to key on him and I don't think Miles can carry the offense.

One other thing (and folks can get mad at me for this) but our team just gave up. You could see it when Rickel just threw up his hands after Gipson was stuffed for -3 yards. That surrender cobra we saw was just the end.

SFA has to adjust from this; the schedule doesn't help us get a playoff spot. We have to beat Alcorn, La Tech, and Sam or else we won't be in the post season and that would be a regression and a waste of Gipson's senior year.
Kat1990
SFASawmillGuy said:

Kat1990 said:

AxeEm99 said:

I keep wanting to reference that time y'all got blown out by a D2 school only to have a really good playoff run but it just doesn't feel right comparing us to our biggest rival.
Hence my comment that it is a marathon not a sprint and can be recovered from
corleycl
This is how I felt Saturday.

But I'm better now.
lmbalum08
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions" yet you criticized my opinion initially until someone called you on it. Also, my words on Self were a reply to what someone else said about him. Also, I criticized the defense and coaching as well. Thanks for reading my entire post.

I hope over this week they are finding ways to utilize all of our weapons on offense and not just one.
Jacksfan93
Yes you did recognize other failures in the game but also specifically attacked one individual player along the way correct? Again, this is getting repetitive, everyone has a right to their opinion but should be prepared for counterpoints to your opinion if you put it out there in a public forum.
SFAXE93
TheRevSFA
SFASawmillGuy said:

We just fell out of the top 25.
Nah, we didn't. This isn't a FBS loss, but it's not a FCS loss either. Almost call it a FCS.5 loss. SFA will fall down to about 20, and if they win against Alcorn they'll stay between 15-20. If they lose to Alcorn then they're out of the Top 25.
SFA88
About half way through the first quarter, I was concerned. The JSU receivers were open but their QB was off target. They were gashing the Jacks in the run game but would go away from it and throw a a bad pass. On the Jack's side, they could not run the ball and it was obvious they were trying to get Gipson the record.

My biggest concern, is the line play on both sides of the ball. That doesn't mean I'm not concerned about QB play and play calling but if your linemen can't move another line against their will, you have no chance.
SFAJack_76
SFA88 said:

About half way through the first quarter, I was concerned. The JSU receivers were open but their QB was off target. They were gashing the Jacks in the run game but would go away from it and throw a a bad pass. On the Jack's side, they could not run the ball and it was obvious they were trying to get Gipson the record.

My biggest concern, is the line play on both sides of the ball. That doesn't mean I'm not concerned about QB play and play calling but if your linemen can't move another line against their will, you have no chance.

Agree with your comments about the lines. Particularly the o-line. That is supposed to be a strength. They were not on Saturday.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA88 said:

Agree with your comments about the lines. Particularly the o-line. That is supposed to be a strength. They were not on Saturday.

Ya. I watched and came away with the same feeling. The D-Line can be a lot better if the edge guys get a little more penetration. The O-Line, just has to play better, period.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ljacks&Longnecks
Happy to hear Carthel on the coach show mention early on that there may have been a little too much "eating the cheese" meaning the players listening too much to being well ranked and talk about how good they were going to be this year. Also mentioned team leaders talking after watching film, some guys calling other guys out. Thinks it may have been a needed wake up call.
Sure there is some truth in that.....also mentioned most things he saw were "fixable" .....gave complete credit to JSU for the win. No excuses offered, some faults pointed out plus general coach talk.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Happy to hear Carthel on the coach show mention early on that there may have been a little too much "eating the cheese" meaning the players listening too much to being well ranked and talk about how good they were going to be this year. Also mentioned team leaders talking after watching film, some guys calling other guys out. Thinks it may have been a needed wake up call.
Sure there is some truth in that.....also mentioned most things he saw were "fixable" .....gave complete credit to JSU for the win. No excuses offered, some faults pointed out plus general coach talk.

He mentioned that the Alcorn game will be played on grass, that Alcorn always sells out their games (16,000), and this will be the biggest home game that they have hosted in a long time. Also, SFA is going into the game basically blind again about what to expect from Alcorn, since they did not play in Week Zero.

Carthel said that our fieldhouse was not a pleasant place to be for the players this morning. There must have been quite a tongue-lashing going on in there.
Pilotgirl
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Best to have that wake-up call now rather than later!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.