WEEK 0: JACKSONVILLE STATE

18,866 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pilotgirl
sfajack05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lol
MasterAxe
Weather delay.

Awesome, not even God wants this game to end.
Pilotgirl
Or maybe he does & this is our out
MasterAxe
Pilotgirl said:

Or maybe he does & this is our out

Good point. Just end it and send everyone home
AxeEm99
'Feels like we're already in "we should be good next year" territory'

We have been saying that over and over since before I graduated in 1999....
SFASawmillGuy
We very well could and more than likely will be good this year. This team is talented enough that I would still put us against anyone, but today was an absolutely garbage performance. It's not time to say this is a lost season yet. But this was certainly a sobering game.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well I'm as pissed off as anyone about today's game. There has been nothing positive about it.
That said, it's a bit early to give up completely on the season.
Promise and potential and talk don't mean much until you turn it into results. Sure didn't happen today. We will see if the coaching staff and players figure things out after this blowout.
I still think SFA will have a winning record by season end if we stay healthy BUT that depends on staff and players buckling down, forget the talk and commit to using this blowout as a wakeup call to reality.
BigJack85
Beat Eastern Washington in the 1st round. 2009. Yes 2009. That's as good as it's been in quite some time.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Well I'm as pissed off as anyone about today's game. There has been nothing positive about it.
That said, it's a bit early to give up completely on the season.
Promise and potential and talk don't mean much until you turn it into results. Sure didn't happen today. We will see if the coaching staff and players figure things out after this blowout.
I still think SFA will have a winning record by season end if we stay healthy BUT that depends on staff and players buckling down, forget the talk and commit to using this blowout as a wakeup call to reality.

The problem is, a winning record is a regression.

We need to be 9-2 or 8-3 minimum to have chance.

We were a playoff team last year, anything short of that is a massive disappointment
SFASawmillGuy
It's doable. Our SOS is awful so outside of Sam Houston or maybe the two matchups with ACU we SHOULD be able to roll through our schedule. Should. Like we should've blown out JSU today.
BigJack85
Incredibly debilitating. A loss in this game wouldn't have been great , but a complete demolition. Wow. This has been an old fashioned butt kicking.
Ljacks&Longnecks
That's a fair point Master and how far we go remains to be seen. Today was terrible, horrible, a disaster...whatever terms we want to use. There are no excuses that are acceptable about today's play.
Next week at Alcorn we find out how well we rebound....or not.

I'm sorely disappointed and worse about today but I can't throw in the towel on the whole season based on just one cluster****.
TallTexan
That was ugly but a 1 point loss and a 30 point loss both show up as 0-1 in the win column.

Wheels definitely fell off against a more talented team but every season goal is well within reach. And Carthel's teams have never quit.
AxeEm99
Yes, and the announcers (and Kat1990) will gladly remind us weekly about the 30 point loss and our former ranking!!
MasterAxe
Game is not over, but the wife needs me to do stuff.

So, here is the Week Zero "IT'S NOT AN OVER, IT'S NOT AN UNDER, IT IS A PROPER REACTION."

(1) There needs to be some credit given to JSU. Rich Rod is not some nobody, the guy has skins. Once they figured out how to attack us, it was over. That being said, we looked gassed and made zero defensive adjustments. Luckily, that will be the only time we see that extreme style of offense.

(2) Trae Self, for all the stats, is still wildly inaccurate and an almost exclusive one read QB. He is in year four and today looked a lot like a year one QB, not a year four guy.

(3) Xavier Gibson is an absolute STUD. But, he cannot be the focal point. It was so clear we were locked in on him (as many on the board noticed) that everyone else on the field felt like an afterthought. It was only after we were four scores behind that the offense got semi-creative.

(4) Regarding offense...PurpleOut nailed it. It seems like the same 4 or 5 plays we ran last year and the year before. Very little seemed to have changed.

(5) This game is the first one, yes. A season is not defined by the first game. BUT, let's play this out:

The WAC may not receive an auto bid.

Straight from the WAC site, in regards to AQ status (Released Yesterday)

https://wacsports.com/sports/fball/2022-23/releases/2022fbasunautobid

That means, we may have to fight for an at-large bid even if we win the WAC.

We are going to now be 0-1.

At a minimum, we need to be 8-3 to finish the year, as that is normally the standard for an at-large.

We have to go 8-2 the rest of the way (With two more FBS teams and whatever Warner is, which won't count towards the FCS formula).

So, yeah. That seems like a big hill to climb, Doable, but not easy.

Let's hope this really was just a single bad game and that we rebound.

Until next time, y'all take care.
TallTexan
AxeEm99 said:

Yes, and the announcers (and Kat1990) will gladly remind us weekly about the 30 point loss and our former ranking!!

Well then we will share that in common with the team as I'm sure Carthel won't let them forget it either.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic
It's an official blowout now.
nacluth
Solid reaction MasterAxe.

I think we all knew coming into the game it was going to be a read option run offense. Everyone struggles with those and SFA has historically (ie our last game of last year). It wears down defenses and ours wasn't ready. Doesn't mean we're a bad team, but definitely have a weakness. Our offense will have to click a lot better to overcome a team like that.

Despite J-State supposedly being a weak team, they looked poised enough to take the early hits and respond. I usually credit coaching for that. We have time, but the next couple of games just got a lot more important.
SFASawmillGuy
I don't agree about the Trae Self take. He has shown consistent improvement over his time at SFA and was straight up on fire in the second half of last season. Like next level good. But he has shown, and today was more evidence, that he does get rattled and when he's rattled he gets a gunslinger complex of trying to force everything.
The offensive line play was hot garbage. Very few running lanes and Self was running for his life more than a few times. That's supposed to be one of our biggest strengths.
We are not in a groove right now. Once we hit our stride we will be fine but we are clearly not there yet.
sfajack05
TallTexan said:

That was ugly but a 1 point loss and a 30 point loss both show up as 0-1 in the win column.

Yeah that 25 point loss is going to look really good to the playoff committee at the end of the season if we are in the bubble.
BigJack85
More than a hot mess today. Put the Diet Coke in the microwave. Turn on for 2 minutes…. On high.
SFA Jack Fanatic
That game, being on national TV, is not going to help our recruiting.
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy said:

About 6:30, we got the word that Ivey and the J-State AD would make a determination at 7:15. That is almost exactly when the announcement was made that the game was called. It was still lightning at that time.
SFAXE93
AFTER ONE

QB:#1 TRAE SELF 6-4; 205 (SR.)
G:1;CMP:14;ATT:29;CMP%:48;YDS:135;TD:2;INT:1;RYDS:0;TD:0
QB:#18 PRESTON WEEKS 6-4; 230 (JR.)
G:1;CMP:0;ATT:0;CMP%:0;YDS:0;TD:0;INT:0;RYDS:TD:0

RB:#7 MILES REED 5-8; 190 (SR.)
G:1;ATT:15;YDS:75;AVG:5.0;TD:0/REC:1;YDS:13;TD:0
RB:#25 JERRELL WIMBLEY 5-11; 185 (FR.)
G:1;ATT:3;YDS:24;AVG:8.0;TD:0/REC:0;YDS:0;TD:0
RB:#34 JA'BRAY YOUNG 5-9; 225 (SO.)
G:1;ATT:0;YDS:0;AVG:0.0;TD:0/REC:0;YDS:0;TD:0

WR:#2 XAVIER GIPSON 5-9; 170 (SR.)
G:1;REC:6;YDS:68;TD:1
WR:#23 DARRYLE SIMMONS 6-2; 210 (JR.)
G:1;REC:3;YDS:22;TD:1
WR:#11 JEREMIAH MILLER 6-2; 190 (SR.)
G:1;REC:2;YDS:16;TD:0
WR:#19 MOE WEDMAN 6-0; 194 (SO.)
G:1;REC:1;YDS:9;TD:0
WR:#9 JOSH THOMPSON 5-11; 185 (SR.)
G:1;REC:1;YDS:7;TD:0
WR:#15 LAWTON RIKEL 6-1; 175 (JR.)
G:1;REC:0;YDS:0;TD:0
WR:#83 TY LOVE 6-3; 200 (SO.)

TE:#82 CHAD AUNE 6-4; 221 (SO.)
TE:#87 KESHON WILLIAMS 6-3; 245 (SO.)
TE:#86 CARSON SPENCE 6-6; 240 (SR.)

OL:#74 TERRIN ROBINSON 6-7; 310 (SR.)
G:1
OL:#66 KEEGAN HOLM 6-4; 305 (JR.)
OL:#65 CLINT LAPIC 6-5; 300 (JR.)
OL:#72 JUSTICE GUILLORY 6-3; 325 (SO.)
OL:#51 DANIEL KEYS 6-5; 271 (SO.)
OL:#70 JARET PORTERFIELD 6-4; 300 (JR.)
OL:#71 ROBERT KELLER 6-6; 300 (SO.)
OL:#55 JADEN HOLMES 6-4; 280 (JR.)

P:#37 MAX QUICK 5-11; 205 (JR.)
G:1;P:4;YDS:174;AVG:43.5;LNG:54;IN20:3;TB:0;50+:2

K:#41 CHRIS CAMPOS 5-10; 220 (SO.)
G:1;FGA:2;FGM:1;LNG:36;PAT:2
K:#81 DYLAN BROWN 5-6; 150 (SO.)
G:1;KO:4;YDS:256;TB:3;OB:0;AVG:64.0

LS:#46 CHASE RUIZ 5-10; 215 (JR.)

DE:#42 TERRANCE WAIR 6-1; 230 (JR.)
G:1;TKL:3;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
DE:#54 AMAD MURRAY 6-3; 245 (JR.)
G:1;TKL:2;TFL:1.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
DE:#3 BJ THOMPSON 6-6; 230 (SR.)
G:1;TKL:2;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:1;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
DE:#18 MARJE SMITH 6-4; 225 (JR.)
G:1;TKL:1;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
DE:#94 DAVE BABALOLA 6-3; 240 (SO.)
G:1;TKL:0;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:1;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
DE:#98 CHANCE HILL 6-4; 235 (SO.)
G:1;TKL:0;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0

DT:#99 EDWARD BOBINO 6-3; 320 (SO.)
G:1;TKL:2;TFL:1.0;SCK:1.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:1;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:1
DT:#97 KY THOMAS 6-4; 285 (SO.)
G:1;TKL:2;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
DT:#91 CARL WILLIAMS 6-2; 356 (JR.)
G:1;TKL:2;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
DT:#50 JORDON THOMAS 6-3; 274 (R/FR.)
DT:#93 RASON WILLIAMS II 6-4; 270 (JR.)

LB:#32 DARYAN WILLIAMS 5-11; 230 (JR.)
G:1;TKL:8;TFL:0.5;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
LB:#11 JEREMIAH DAVIS 6-0; 210 (JR.)
G:1;TKL:7;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
LB:#6 BREVIN RANDLE 6-0; 230 (JR.)
LB:#28 JERMAINE BROWN 6-1; 195 (SO.)
G:1;TKL:2;TFL:0.5;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
LB:#35 CHRISTIAN RICHARDS 6-1; 205 (SO.)

S:#8 TKAI LLOYD 5-10; 192 (JR.)
G:1;TKL:11;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:1;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
S:#0 MYLES HEARD 5-10; 195 (JR.)
G:1;TKL:8;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
S:#27 JATERIOUS EVANS 6-1; 190 (JR.)
G:1;TKL:4;TFL:1.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
S:#36 JAYDON SOUTHARD 6-2; 205 (FR.)

CB:#4 BRUCE HARMON 6-0; 195 (SO.)
G:1;TKL:6;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
CB:#5 JEREMIAH WALKER 6-1; 176 (SO.)
G:1;TKL:5;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
CB:#38 DYLAN DIXON 5-10; 175 (SO.)
G:1;TKL:4;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0;BLK:0
CB:#30 JUSTIN GARRETT 6-1; 190 (SO.)
CB:#21 CHARLES DEMMINGS 6-2; 185 (SO.)
G:1;TKL:1;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:1;BLK:0
CB:#12 TRIUMPHANT OLATUNJI 6-3; 195 (SR.)
CB:#22 ZACH NWACHUKWU 5-8; 186 (SO.)
CB:#20 LENARD LEMONS 5-11; 175 (SO.)
CB:#31 JALON HUNTER 5-10; 170 (SO.)
lmbalum08
I don't think that Trae Self has shown any growth over the last 3 years. It's been the samething over and over. He does well in games we should win, but can't finish we he is needed to make a play. It was that way in the Sam game last season, the playoff game, and today. The only growth has been in the state column, but we can not count on him to make a play when it's needed.

Today has shown that yes overall this team is better, but we still are not a top tier FCS team. Defense looked like they were guessing the whole game and made 0 changes. Offense looks like there is still 0 creativity to get the ball in people's hands. I haven't given up on the season, but I'm sorry that ain't gonna beat Sam. I hope I'm not the only one sick of losing to them.
BigJack85
My very limited observations: 1). Offensive Line wasn't giving Trae more than a couple clicks before he was covered up. Especially in the 2nd half. 2). Didn't get the D Line push on 3rd downs. I don't know what we were looking for but JSU had there way with us on 3rd down. 3) Miles Reed was the only thing we had. And that was limited.

It's early, but this looks like a 5 or 6 win squad. Hopefully we can make some improvements over the next couple of weeks.
SFAJack_76
We were at the game. These are very random observations.

We were seriously out coached. Particularly on defense. You don't need to spy to know what offense Rich Rod is going to run. We were constantly out of position. Got almost nothing from our two stud DE's. I focused on BJ for several plays. He was rarely engaged with where the ball was. No need to double team him. Just pushed him wide. We had multiple guys cramp. They had none. Our tackling was mediocre at best. How big a deal is it that we lost most of our defensive staff from last season?

Self was bad. Yes, he was under pressure, but I can't think of one throw he made that I thought was good. Well, other than the walk in TD that Reed dropped. The long one to Gipson was under thrown. Multiple passes where Self and the receiver where not on the same page. Really wanted to see Mauer get some snaps.

J-State is a good team. I think. We were so bad, it's a little hard to tell.

I'm not at all ready to throw in the towel. 85 vs 63 scholarships is real. We need to not beat Alcorn, but to show who we think we are. If we don't …
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

We were at the game. These are very random observations.

We were seriously out coached. Particularly on defense. You don't need to spy to know what offense Rich Rod is going to run. We were constantly out of position. Got almost nothing from our two stud DE's. I focused on BJ for several plays. He was rarely engaged with where the ball was. No need to double team him. Just pushed him wide. We had multiple guys cramp. They had none. Our tackling was mediocre at best. How big a deal is it that we lost most of our defensive staff from last season?

Self was bad. Yes, he was under pressure, but I can't think of one throw he made that I thought was good. Well, other than the walk in TD that Reed dropped. The long one to Gipson was under thrown. Multiple passes where Self and the receiver where not on the same page. Really wanted to see Mauer get some snaps.

J-State is a good team. I think. We were so bad, it's a little hard to tell.

I'm not at all ready to throw in the towel. 85 vs 63 scholarships is real. We need to not beat Alcorn, but to show who we think we are. If we don't …

Sounds like a reasonable assessment. I agree with your analysis entirely. A coupe minor additional comments We had zero mid-range passing success. Just didn't.

The running game was productive for a little while. But once we proved we couldn't produce through the air , jsu started to pounce.

Defensive line didn't look D1 to me. DB's held up. Just nothing up front.
SFAXE93
Maybe the losses of DTs Osagiede (Liberty) Fox (TCU) Nichols (NFL) and DT Coach McFarland is showing more than we wanted to think it would.

TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Maybe the losses of DTs Osagiede (Liberty) Fox (TCU) Nichols (NFL) and DT Coach McFarland is showing more than we wanted to think it would.

Bobino had some good plays in the first 20 minutes but not having the 3 you mentioned really showed across the game.
SFAXE93
Bobino is going to be a star!
Jacks4460
Nice assessment 76 and I agree.. Only thing I would add is that Chad Aune needs to catch the ball on critical 3rd and short yardage.. Trae put the ball in his chest twice and both times he dropped the ball.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Aune did drop two and Reed dropped one right before the lightning break that might have been for 6.
That said our problems yesterday went far and beyond 3 dropped passes. We were outmanned, outplayed, and obviously out conditioned. JSU kept firing while our guys were back on their heels and out of breath. Both teams had to play in the same heat/humidity but JSU was better prepared.
No excuses for yesterday...it either showed who we really are or showed we need to forget the hype talk and any so called rankings and focus on results on the field. We will see over the next 2-3 how we respond.
Normally I'm one of the first to defend SFA football on this board but yesterday was just bad. JSU is no P5 team and we should have been very competitive and we were not.
I still believe we have the ability to have a successful season but it has to start next week.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Aune did drop two and Reed dropped one right before the lightning break that might have been for 6.
That said our problems yesterday went far and beyond 3 dropped passes. We were outmanned, outplayed, and obviously out conditioned. JSU kept firing while our guys were back on their heels and out of breath. Both teams had to play in the same heat/humidity but JSU was better prepared.
No excuses for yesterday...it either showed who we really are or showed we need to forget the hype talk and any so called rankings and focus on results on the field. We will see over the next 2-3 how we respond.
Normally I'm one of the first to defend SFA football on this board but yesterday was just bad. JSU is no P5 team and we should have been very competitive and we were not.
I still believe we have the ability to have a successful season but it has to start next week.

Truth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.