WEEK 0: JACKSONVILLE STATE

18,450 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pilotgirl
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

#10 SFA (0-0; 0-0) VS. JACKSONVILLE STATE (0-0; 0-0)

FCS KICKOFF CLASSIC
WHEN: AUG. 27 (SAT.) 2:30 P.M.
WHERE: MONTGOMERY, ALABAMA (CRAMTON BOWL)
TV: ESPN

And here we go, welcome to the 2022 SFA Football Season.

Kicking things off this season for your Lumberjacks, we will travel to sweet home Alabama, and a rematch with the Gamecocks of Jacksonville State.

This will be the final season in the FCS ranks for JSU, as C-USA and the status of FBS awaits the Gamecoacks in 2023. This might be the final season in the ASUN, but it will be the first season with Head Coach Rich Rodriguez at the helm, hired back in late November to turn the program back around.

Rodriguez at one time was one of the hottest coaches in the nation rising from the ranks of NAIA at Glenville State, where he took a 1-7-1 program to a 10-3 conference champion and an appearance in the NAIA National Championship Game in just 3 seasons.

After winning 4-straight conference championships at Glenville State, Rodriguez would have stops at Tulane and Clemson as an offensive genius with his no huddle, run-oriented version of the spread offense as well as the zone read play, run out the of the shotgun formation, where (Shaun King) at Tulane (12-0 in 1998) and (Woodrow Dantzler) at Clemson and later (Pat White) at West Virgina would find so successful.

In 2001 West Virginia (Rich's Alma Mater) came a calling hiring Rich as their Head Coach, where he would turn around a 3-8 team into a top 20 team (#20), a second place finish in the Big East and a post season Bowl game to finish 9-4. Next to follow would be three straight Big East Titles, high lighted by a Top 5 finish and a Sugar Bowl Victory to finish 11-1.

After 4-conference championships, three straight 10+ win seasons, and 4 Top 20 finishes, Rodriguez was off to the Big 10 and the head coaching job of the Wolverines of Michigan.
But after a promising start in Ann Arbor, Rodriguez was dismissed at the conclusion of the 2010 season going three seasons with records of 3-9; 5-7; 7-6 doing no better than 7th in the Big Ten.

Taking a couple of seasons off, Rich found himself back into coaching, when he was hired by the Wildcats of Arizona, where he found some success in his 6 seasons, high lighted by a 10-4 2014 season, with a PAC-12 Conference Championship, a trip to the Fiesta Bowl, and finishing in the Top 20. Later he would be fired after the 2017 season, when on going investigations were being conducted into a sexual harassment allegation.

For the next few seasons Rodriguez was the offensive coordinator at Ole Miss and Louisiana-Monroe.

Now in 2022 Rodriguez takes over a 5-6 Gamecock program looking to build up for it's move to the FBS.

With a new coaching staff in place, all positions are pretty much open, so looking at the leaders in stats who return, we have Sophomore QB Matthew Caldwell 6-4; 195 out of Auburn who played in 3 games completing 14 passes for 136 yards.

Junior running back Josh Samuel 5-11; 215 returns after rushing for 714 yards (6 yards per carry) and 6 scores.

At receiver, the Gamecocks return sophomore P.J. Wells 6-3; 190 and Junior Ahmad Edwards 6-1; 185 who combined for 1,135 yards and 8 TDs in 2021. JSU also brought in Tennessee TE transfer Jackson Lowe 6-5; 240.

The defense is lead by senior linebacker Markail Benton 6-2; 230 who lead the team in tackles with 69; 6.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks and an INT.

Rodriguez did take a dip into the transfer portal, bringing in North Carolina State R/Fr. QB Aaron McLaughlin 6-5; 220 **** #9 QB prospect according to ESPN. Texas Tech WR Sterling Galban *** 5-10; 180, East Carolina WR TJ Lockley 6-0; 180 *** and DL Brayden Wood 6-2; 275 ***

JACKSONVILLE STATE (18 Returning starters from 2021)

OFFENSE (7/11)
QB: 0/1
RB: 0/1
OL: 3/5
WR: 3/3
TE: 1/1
DEFENSE (9/11)
DL: 1/3
LB: 3/3
DB: 5/5
SPECIAL TEAMS (2/2)
P: 1/1
K: 1/1

SFA will be looking for redemption after the 24-28 heart breaking loss in Jacksonville last season, where costly turnovers did them in.

No doubt the Lumberjacks are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball with all conference and all American players that are primed more than ever to have that signature season, that announces to the nation that SFA, the football school has arrived.

Axe'Em!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Excellent writeup, 93. You've got my SFA FB juices flowing!
SFASawmillGuy
This matchup will tell us both a lot about our season and very little. For one this is gonna be a very quality opponent that could further show the preseason hype is real. On the other hand, JSU will have the traditional first year woes that comes with having a new coaching staff leading it. They won't be 100% on the new system and will probably be limited in what they can throw at us. I expect them to fight hard in front of what will essentially be a home crowd. Gonna be very important to see if SFA isn't blinded by the top of the mountain expectations and can show up ready to take care of business.

I'm also curious to see how well we travel for this as a fanbase. It's a nationally televised game, one of the first of the year, and should have a ton of excitement behind it. I just wish the "neutral site" was closer to Texas.
jflandis
I'll be there. Got tickets last night. Will be driving over from Jacksonville, FL since no direct flights. Interested to see if the ESPN Zone ticket package is worth the money.
SFAXE93
BigJack85
I'm hoping to see a dominant defense. That's the side I believe we can really win championships with. The edge guys are collectively dominant. The DB's look to be the strength of the team with a couple a very experienced CB's / Safeties.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
DE:#54 AMAD MURRAY 6-3; 245 (JR.)
G:34;TKL:112;TFL:27.5;SCK:12.5;FF:2;FR:1;PD:1;INT:0;QBH:15;BLK:0
DE:#3 BJ THOMPSON 6-6; 230 (SR.) All-WAC/SLC NCOY
G:41;TKL:72;TFL:22.0;SCK:19.5;FF:2;FR:3;PD:3;INT:1;QBH:10;BLK:3

S:#0 MYLES HEARD 5-10; 210 (JR.) All-American; 2X All-Conference
G:33;TKL:130;TFL:6.0;SCK:1.0;FF:7;FR:2;PD:7;INT:2;QBH:3;BLK:0
S:#8 TKAI LLOYD 5-10; 192 (JR.) 2X All-Conference
G:22;TKL:83;TFL:5.0;SCK:1.0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:11;INT:2;QBH:6;BLK:0

CB:#5 JEREMIAH WALKER 6-1; 176 (SO.) 2nd Team All-WAC
G:21;TKL:58;TFL:3.0;SCK:1.0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:4;INT:4;QBH:1;BLK:0
CB:#4 BRUCE HARMON 5-11; 181 (SO.)
G:24;TKL:41;TFL:2.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;PD:10;INT:5;BLK:1
SFAXE93
MarkyMark622
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-jacksonville-state-punter-jack-dawson-arrested-on-multiple-assault-charges-012823601.html

Sounds like they won't have their starting punter on Saturday!
SFA88
In case you are wondering, the sexual harassment suit was dismissed last year. None of the allegations could be substantiated. The allegation was that he was having an affair and his assistant was forced to keep it quiet and Rich Rod also sexually harassed her. She sued him and the university. He said he did have an affair and that she had tried to blackmail him.
SFASawmillGuy
Highly doubtful he plays. The story is circulating fast and with it being a nationally televised game it will be a PR disaster.
PurpleOut
Staff
ICYMI, Rich Rodriguez is basically accusing us of cheating.

djsfw57
PurpleOut said:

ICYMI, Rich Rodriguez is basically accusing us of cheating.

He is clearly getting excuses ready for losing to SFA so he doesn't have to take the blame. What a baby.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFASawmillGuy
Normally I understand that winning is the important thing and it doesn't matter the score. After the events surrounding that morally questionable program this past week, I hope we beat them by 45 at least. Like if it were a six man football game, I'd want the game called at the half.
BigJack85
I expect our edge guys and LB's to be in the pocket all day.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
Wow, Rich is getting an early start on being a tool this season.

Carthel should have fun with this.

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

Coach wont respond to this bafoon... RR just trying to divert some attention from his putners news that was created...
Jacks4460
I agree... we are chomping at the bit... Axes will be swung all game long...
djsfw57
Jacks4460 said:

I agree... we are chomping at the bit... Axes will be swung all game long...
Chop chop!
SFA, Class of 1979
SFA88
Clever! Although, I think the Jacks will shove the double bit down their throats.
SFA88
Jacks4460 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Coach wont respond to this bafoon... RR just trying to divert some attention from his putners news that was created...

He might also be trying to generate some passion in the fan base. Maybe ticket sales aren't going well or he wants the fans to be fired up.

He isn't the first one to do this of course. Mike Leach said he heard ASU had an area under the field devoted to analyzing video and stealing signs. It was ridiculous and, just like RR, he didn't make a direct statement (Leach "heard", RR has "pretty good sources"). It is a tactic used to cause the opposing team to answer questions and face distraction. It is also a tactic used by underdogs.

Edit: I'm not naive enough to believe teams don't have someone in the booth with binoculars trying to figure out hand signals or pictures on poster boards.
SFASawmillGuy
According to Twitter a lot of JSU fans will not be making that trip so the crowd might look kind of pathetic for a nationally televised game.
MasterAxe
Considering how wonky our schedule is and how undefined the playoff formula is for the WAC/A-SUN conference, this would be a really really nice win for us.

I think it would classify as an FBS win as JSU is in transition and could be one of multiple FBS wins we get.

Sure would be nice to get this one.
SFAXE93

Jacks4460
Yep you are correct 88.. RR has been around the block..
Jacks4460
We are going to get that W MasterAxe… This friggin train is just pulling out of bEast Texas heading to a stadium near you.. We got a fun season ahead… I can tell you our coaches and players have put everything they have into this season and now it's time for all the hard work and preparing to show in the form of W's..
Jacks4460
I am blessed to be able to drive with my dad to Montgomery.. Amen
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

I am blessed to be able to drive with my dad to Montgomery.. Amen

Safe travels. See you there.
SFASawmillGuy
At this point it's all gonna be how the players respond to the expectations. With the talent level and the schedule strength, a perfect season is a very reasonable expectation if we remain healthy.
However the players need to have their heads right and need to be ready for the inevitable road bumps that will happen or bad game here or there. On paper, we should absolutely dominate Saturday. But football isn't played on paper. I know the coaching staff is working to make these kids believe they're a championship program. They just have to make it happen.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

Very nice and clean uniforms. A big reason we always wore black last season was the uniforms were voted on by the players. I love the black uniforms but hopefully the new purple uniforms means we will get a purple out game this season.
SFA88
And our coaches are not dumb enough to think you gain anything by watching spring ball. Everyone knows Rich Rod is going to run the spread and go fast. It is what he has always done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.