(RV) SFA VS. DIXIE STATE

11,095 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (3-3; 1-1) VS. DIXIE STATE (0-6; 0-1)

WHEN: OCT. 23 (SAT.) 8:00 P.M.
WHERE: ST. GEORGE, UTAH (GREATER ZION STADIUM)
TV: WAC DIGITAL NETWORK
RADIO: Q107.7

After a well deserved week off to regroup and heal some wounds the Lumberjacks of SFA are for a lack of a better word ticked off on how things have been going down lately and they need to take it out on somebody.

So, welcome in the 0-6 (0-9 from last season) Trailblazers of Dixie State, who host SFA this Saturday on their Homecoming Weekend in St. George, Utah.

DSU and their 75 freshmen (only 9 seniors) have been put to the fire this season against an impressive 11 game slate that features, count them seven ranked opponents. With the exception of the season opener against Sac. State, none of these contests have been close, with Dixie State losing by an average of almost 30 points a game.

DSU is lead by Sophomore QB #12 KENYON OBLAD 6-3; 190 out of Henderson, Nevada who has completed 82 passes for 878 yards and 5 TDs along with 10 INTs. Also look for red shirt freshman #16 KOBE TRACEY 6-4; 190 out of Chubbuck, Idaho to also get some reps, as he has completed 30 passes for 279 yards and 1 TD.

At receiver, Arizona State transfer #5 KEITH DAVIS 6-1; 190 has been the go to man, leading the team in receiving yards (235), his best game coming last Saturday against Tarleton State with 5 catches for 77 yards.

Overall DSU's best offensive threat looks to be senior RB #2 DREW KANNELY-ROBLES 6-0; 200, who has rushed for 258 yards with 2 TDs and leads the team in receptions (20) for 173 yards.

On defense the Trailblazers are lead by redshirt freshman #17 TYRELL GRAYSON 6-0; 175 who leads the team in tackles (66) along with 3.0 TFL 2 FF and 3 PBU.

Consider SFA just another one of those highly ranked teams that DSU has waiting for them on their gauntlet from hell, as you could say the Lumberjacks are just less than a handful of plays away from being 6-0 and a Top 5 team, playing for it all.

Axe'Em
SFASawmillGuy
Only a few plays from being 6-0 is so true. This is the first step in our final push for a possible at large bid. Gotta take care of business and win by a lot like we know we can.
nacluth
Now this is a must win!
BigJack85
I think we win this one by 17.
SFASawmillGuy
17 is a minimum. I think our guys are hungry. The playoffs are still there. They want this one. I don't think Carthel will call the dogs off either. I see us still passing with a comfortable lead.
SFAXE93
I want a Texas College beat down.
Jacks4460
SFA_03 said:

17 is a minimum. I think our guys are hungry. The playoffs are still there. They want this one. I don't think Carthel will call the dogs off either. I see us still passing with a comfortable lead.
we dont have a running game either so we have to pass
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

SFA_03 said:

I think our running game improves this week.
Texasheli

It just seems so far this year we don't have the pop we need when in the red zone. A couple of the teams we've played, I thought we should have been able to impose our will on once in the red zone. We move the ball well up to the red zone and then would have to settle for a field goal. We don't seem to have a couple of plays specific to the red zone that confuses the defense a bit. We just seem to get flat. Based on my assumption I did lookup the red zone stats for the league. We are there with Dixie State in the mid 40% scoring a touchdown from the red zone. ACU, SAM, Tarleton are 60 to 70 percent from the red zone. I do understand this will be skewed by the quality of defense you face. But if you can get to the red zone then we need to score a few more touch downs. I have pasted the stat from the WAC site below but not sure it is readable.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFA_03 said:

I think our running game improves this week.

I hope so Big Jack we gotta get healthy..
Jacks4460
Texasheli our offense has its hands tied with RB 5.. We just don't have a strong running game so the defense just plays the pass.. I hear we are getting healthy tho that's a good thing!!
SFASawmillGuy
It's just been bad luck. The same story as every year and unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about it. 2 of our 3 scholarship backs have been out and injuries to our O-line have hurt what absolutely should have been one of the strongest and most versatile SFA offenses in a very long time.
TheRevSFA
We now have a secondary gauntlet for playoff hopes - EKU and then UCA. SFA has to win out the rest of the season as the AQ7 isn't a 3 bid conference...and with another loss, SFA wouldn't have a good enough resume at 7-4.

Dixie State hung with Montana for about a half, but they've also been blasted by everyone they have played. SFA does need to play all 60 minutes and not make mistakes. Mistakes got us down against JSU, and not finishing the game sealed the deal for us.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Has the week off allowed some of our walking wounded to heal, partcularly our RB's? (We do have a couple of those left, correct?

BTW, why do so many of our RB's get banged up? Is the problem our offensive system, our play-calling, our O-line, our conditioning?? 4460, maybe you can chime in on this.
SFASawmillGuy
It's simply football my guy. Every team deals with injuries, we have just had really bad luck literally for the past 10 years with key players going down.
Sometimes really good players do get delegated down to FCS programs when they're more than likely FBS talent due to durability issues unfortunately. That's how we got Jeremy Moses back in the day, who was being scouted by programs like OU and OSU before his season ending knee injury his senior year.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Has the week off allowed some of our walking wounded to heal, partcularly our RB's? (We do have a couple of those left, correct?

BTW, why do so many of our RB's get banged up? Is the problem our offensive system, our play-calling, our O-line, our conditioning?? 4460, maybe you can chime in on this.
Fanatic we have just had some horrible luck... Coach Stoner is going to have us in shape I can guarantee you that.. We lost Ward and Turner RB1 and RB2 the first game of the year... So we thought we were going to surprise every with Miles Reed who could be RB1or RB2 and then he goes down with a high ankle sprain so then we are on RB4 Redshirt Freshman JaBray YOung and he gets his other knee banged up. He is a 10.5 100m track man for as big as he is... That leaves us with Korbyn and Mr Henderson and Mr McGrew... All three of those give it there all and such but they are nothing like out top 3 RB's that we started the season with.. Ward is done and Reed and Turner should be back soon... I think Reed will be ready for sure on Homecoming and then Turner after that... If we can keep them healthy then we have a great chance to run the table on the rest of these games. Reed was a captain of the U of Hawaii team last year... He is a great kid and hasnt gotten to show us his abilities yet.. We saw Turner last year run ove EKU and such... We get those two back along with Justice up front then we will be ready to roll.. AxeEm
SFA Jack Fanatic
Great to hear about Reed and Turner!
SFAXE93
I'm impressed with Korbyn White at RB, he has got some wheels on him.

6.3 AVG and I would expect to see him continue to get the ball.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
Maybe the most important game today is the UCA/Lamar game. Need UCA to clean this one up.
BigJack85
We need to show that we can "Take out the Trash". We should win this by 20.
TallTexan
An 8 o clock kick feels so late lol.
MasterAxe
Checking in.

Let's pound these suckers and go home.
MasterAxe
The "Visit St. George" commercial that just ran featured a person putting with a Pinnacle golf ball.

No self respecting person putts with a Pinnacle on a golf course that's worth a *****

Do better St. George, do better.
SFASawmillGuy
These commentators did no homework at all on SFA.
SFASawmillGuy
Myles Reed showing those fresh legs off.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Reed is playing!
nacluth
What a crap no call
TallTexan
How the hell does Dixie State have better camera work and replay capabilities than us?
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

How the hell does Dixie State have better camera work and replay capabilities than us?

This feels like a legitimate question to ask the Athletics department.

Good multi camera angles, well lit, and timely replays.

Solid effort.
nacluth
Self needs to throw about 25 times tonight.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

This feels like a legitimate question to ask the Athletics department.

Good multi camera angles, well lit, and timely replays.

Solid effort.
I would be happy if our camera tripod wasn't right on an active fault line, but this is a school we definitely outmatch in budget.

I want this level for us.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Run game looks good tonight!!
nacluth
Nice start. We should run for 200 yards and win by 28.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Very nice long drive. Hope that sets the tone for the rest of the night.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I don't know why they have what they have. The answer to ours is … money.

Karl Berry is working to develop a good relationship with our Mass Communications Department. The previous athletic department had a bad relationship. Imagine that.

I talked to Karl about our challenges at a softball game. Working with inexperienced students. A significant lack of equipment. No money for training. Hence the need for the Mass Communication relationship. Essentially the story.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.