(RV) SFA VS. MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE

17,865 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheRevSFA said:

Honestly allowing students to tailgate at the ag pond is a detriment because they won't go into the game. Move them down and keep all tailgating on hayter and get asses in the seats.

There also needs to be a longer tailgate experience either by the alumni association or just someone. Have a fan fest that starts at noon. Get local businesses involved. It amazes me that we don't see any of the restaurants out there promoting

Ryan has an uphill battle due to the general apathy for football by our students thanks to previous ****ty teams and ****ty administration. I think he can turn this around, and Brandi is kicking ass as well.
Ya I think a more densely packed Hayter Street experience would be beneficial. Either that or set up a fences for ag pond tailgating and make folks swipe in and have an open gate into the stadium from the ag pond so that students are counted and induced to wander in.

And yes, I'm absolutely surprised on the restaurants. It was nice seeing a food truck and the Kona ice out there, but should be able to get even more. And I do think it will grow.

Like you said though, big mountain to climb back from, but I think we'll get there.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

So basically we want this..

Is that too much to ask?
SFASawmillGuy

Unless they decided to move the section to the end zone sounds like they heard the complaints.
sfajack05
Apparently there were 1200 students that swiped into the game. With it being parents weekend I'm going to assume a majority were there with their parents.

A group of 600 students over on the visitor side would make a huge difference. I wonder if they could install misters or something to help keep them cool.

I wonder what it's going to be next week for the number of students.
BigJack85
sfajack05 said:

Apparently there were 1200 students that swiped into the game. With it being parents weekend I'm going to assume a majority were there with their parents.

A group of 600 students over on the visitor side would make a huge difference. I wonder if they could install misters or something to help keep them cool.

I wonder what it's going to be next week for the number of students.

Probably non-existent. I'm going next weekend (the logistics worked out). I sure would like to see some student presence on the east side.
sfajack05
Just an idea but don't let the fraternities and sororities put out their letters on the hill unless they actually show up and sit with them to support the team. I was in a fraternity and this always a big deal to get the good location to sit for the game. I don't think I've seen anyone sit with them in the last few years.
PurpleOut
Staff
The fence up top next to the student tailgate was pretty packed during the game. They had their couches and tables. It's honestly hard to blame them if they have that option.

The problem is not what we (the athletic department) want for the students...we're trying everything to not only get them inside, but get them more involved. But it's what the students want and are willing to do to be involved. They literally want to sit closer to our team and on that berm. And now they are more disconnected from the game and atmosphere more than ever before.

This whole AXEperience thing seems terrible. I don't see the direction or even idea of who they are, because I didn't see hardly anything about Purple Haze. None of those kids sitting in those bleachers in the pic above have PHA shirts on. Where are they? I like the bleachers in the endzone, there's just not much of them. Hopefully this is something we can build on though. If the students aren't going to move back where they have been, we need to get them closer to the action. They are non-existent right now.

The good news still is that they are trying. Ryan and Brandi are working really hard and really want the gameday atmosphere to be the best that it can. They want Hayter and the grass areas FULL.

The overall atmosphere this weekend was 10x better than the opening weekend (family weekend helps). The Alumni Association doesn't open up earlier because they too don't have a large team to staff it all day, and different issues with food/drinks. But those are just excuses for me. It can be easily done...just have to put in the effort.

I've had several conversations with Ivey about it all, because I want to be part of the fan base that helps. On Saturday he and I were talking at our tailgate and a lady walked up and asked if we knew how she could get her and her family inside Alumni Corner. Unfortunately I had to tell her that if they were not Alumni members, that it would be $15 per person...which she didn't go for. As she walked off I looked at Ryan and he nodded. He knows and understands. It's easy for us to know the problems and come up with ideas/solutions...but right now executing them is a different story. A much smaller staff make it difficult.

But they want ALL the food trucks. They want ALL the businesses out there. We just need to reach them and let them know that they are wanted. It doesn't cost them anything. They couldn't sell alcohol, but they can give it away.

Again it comes down to want. We only have a small percentage of people that WANT this to be better, and unfortunately it's seemingly just the athletic department by themselves and a small group of fans/alumni.

Sorry for the long post. Had a great time this weekend.
SFAXE93

https://wacsports.com/sports/fball/2021-22/releases/20210920gb4tac
SFA71
I was at the game Saturday and wondered why there was such a small group on the student side and then I noticed that there were a lot of students sitting on the berm on the north side of the stadium near the score board. Then I realize that there was a sign saying something about it being the student section. Good idea. It was pretty hot where I sat until the sun went down and then became very pleasant. I thought there was an excellent turn out in the non student section and a better than usual in the "student section." I also was surprised at how few social groups did not have their usual signage on the berm. Army/ROTC and one Greek had a sign and sign and that was all. There might have been more but you couldn't see them from the old student section. Probably a good idea to have the Greeks sign in to allow their sign displayed.

Seems like there were a lot out tailgating i.e. drinking while the game was going on. The Diboll group was the red students.

My only complaint about the game was that the replay/video was terrible. After Gibson's terrific punt return there was NO replay. On one apparent TD they stopped the camera 5 yards before the end zone not showing whether the runners dive toward the end zone was successful or not. After one TD and the extra point, the video board reports "Field Goal Good." Someone needs to get a grip on what is going on there.
Not that it was important to me Saturday but I think it's a little ridiculous to have restrooms on only one end of the field. Sitting in section A means you have to walk 100 yards to take a leak. My grandpa might not make it that far.
Texasheli
I know it is in the sun and hot at the start of the season. But I really miss the noise of axe handles on the Purple Haze metal sign behind the visiting team.
PurpleOut
Staff
I know we all keep saying that, and I don't disagree, but sitting in the sun there isn't anything new. This is a football game. How would anyone handle an earlier kickoff?

But again if that's going to be the case going forward...let's find some more tents and set them up in the endzone and let them sit under there so they don't cry about breaking a sweat.
SFAXE93

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.