(RV) SFA VS. MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE

5,792 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (1-1; 1-0) VS. MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE (0-1)

WHEN: SEPT. 18 (SAT.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS (HOMER BRYCE STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+
RADIO: Q107.7
FAMILY WEEKEND!

I'm afraid there is not much to say about this match-up against the Delta Devils of Mississippi Valley State, a SWAC program that has not had a winning season in over a decade.

Third year head coach Vincent Dancy is 3-19; 2-12 in his time in Itta Bena, Mississippi and comes to Nac on the heals of a 35-0 defeat at the hands of the Riders of Murray State where MVSU was held to 162 total yards for the game (63 passing and 99 rushing) just 3.1 yards per play in 52 plays.

The Delta Devils are 0-18 on the road dating back to the 2017 season. Their last win on the road was at Arkansas Pine Pluff in Oct of 2017 winning 38-31.

Look for several young Lumberjacks to see time in this one and others to have time to heal.

Axe'Em
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Link to the schedule of events that, unfortunately, leaves out volleyball on Friday and Saturday.

https://www.sfasu.edu/orientation/family-weekend-schedule
SFA_03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All I know is that Mississippi Valley State averaged 50 points per game using the Oopty Oop.
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA_03 said:

All I know is that Mississippi Valley State averaged 50 points per game using the Oopty Oop.


What you talkin' bout, Willis??
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MVU home of Jerry Rice!!
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes impressive history of players including David Deacon Jones

lol I just saw him on an episode of The Odd Couple from the early 70's

https://mvsusports.com/news/2016/10/22/mvsu-football-all-time-teams.aspx
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Excited for this weekend!

We have our Alumni board meeting on Friday, and Alumni Awards banquet Friday night.

Very hopeful that A) the rain comes through and drys out by Saturday, but B) that the fans come out. Not only for the game, but for Lumberjack Alley and everything around campus.

I can't remember the last time we've had a specific tailgate and fan fest opened early. I believe I posted it in the other thread, but "Lumberjack Alley" will be on Hayter Street, next to the Alumni Corner and next to where I set up my tailgate. I confirmed with Ryan that individual tailgating IS allowed so anyone is able to come pitch a tailgating ten on Hayter.

I wish we would market this a little harder/more. We still have a decently large population that still wants to go back to the old Lumberjack Alley tailgating in the Commuter Lot. This would be a win-win for both sides. You're able to set up now on the street next to everyone else, or in the grass. He did say that there will be no vehicle traffic allowed on Hayter, so if you want to come out and set up with equipment, come drop it off by noon.

Our team deserves a good crowd, I hope everyone can come out and have some fun.
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheRevSFA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

Excited for this weekend!

We have our Alumni board meeting on Friday, and Alumni Awards banquet Friday night.

Very hopeful that A) the rain comes through and drys out by Saturday, but B) that the fans come out. Not only for the game, but for Lumberjack Alley and everything around campus.

I can't remember the last time we've had a specific tailgate and fan fest opened early. I believe I posted it in the other thread, but "Lumberjack Alley" will be on Hayter Street, next to the Alumni Corner and next to where I set up my tailgate. I confirmed with Ryan that individual tailgating IS allowed so anyone is able to come pitch a tailgating ten on Hayter.

I wish we would market this a little harder/more. We still have a decently large population that still wants to go back to the old Lumberjack Alley tailgating in the Commuter Lot. This would be a win-win for both sides. You're able to set up now on the street next to everyone else, or in the grass. He did say that there will be no vehicle traffic allowed on Hayter, so if you want to come out and set up with equipment, come drop it off by noon.

Our team deserves a good crowd, I hope everyone can come out and have some fun.

I mean if you aren't getting up the pines, what are you other priorities and why are they in the wrong order?
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?


SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How many pitmasters do we have in here?

How many of y'all haul those grills or smokers up to the tailgates in Nac?

What are some of your favorite foods to cook at the tailgates? Pictures?
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The technical issues that shut down the ESPN+ broadcast in game one have been resolved. For any that missed it, the system was tested that Friday night, and again on Saturday morning with no issue. Something failed in the fiber, and it would not work that Saturday afternoon.
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
SFAXE93 said:

How many pitmasters do we have in here?

How many of y'all haul those grills or smokers up to the tailgates in Nac?

What are some of your favorite foods to cook at the tailgates? Pictures?
Never been me. For our SFA tailgates we keep it pretty simple.

But if I lived in Nac or at least closer I'd definitely be down to bring in a smoker. Just so much time and effort.

I used to enjoy grilling smaller things of course.
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Do we have any updates on our injuries? I'm not that dialed in there.

Has Ward been hurt or why didn't he play Saturday? I went in thinking he'd be jacked up to play in Lubbock.
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ward and Turner were both out for TT. That's why when Reed went down we were on RBs #4 and 5.
Need all RBs back healthy in 2 weeks when Sam and Jacksonville St are back to back
SFA_03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let that soak in. We played without 2 of our key offensive weapons, played a half without 2 of our best defenders in the secondary, and still nearly won that game.
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nearly don't count.. I hear your tho 03.. Our goal is a championship and championship teams win.. our team wants and will win..
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Although Carthel won't talk about injuries, the weekly radio show didn't happen last night due to technical issues at Bottlecap Alley. Rob Myers was not a happy guy. It was not his equipment that was the problem.

Ward and JT did not play due to injury. Not my place to say anything beyond that about either of them.
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Forgot to tune in last night.....previous week Rob said they were in the corner due to some kind of technical issues
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Forgot to tune in last night.....previous week Rob said they were in the corner due to some kind of technical issues


Last week his long cord didn't work, so he moved into a corner where he could use his short cord. Last night he had a new long cord, but something was wrong with the restaurant's connection. Nothing worked.
65tosspowertrap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Two questions I urgently need answers to, as I am making the 260-mile journey from the Hill Country to watch the Jacks play this weekend (seriously, they're not urgent, but what the heck):
1. Do they sell food and malted beverages at the tailgate area?
2. Can anyone recommend a good place in the city -- or surrounding area -- a guy can get some good quality cigars? Not swisher sweets or those other nasty things...good product. Arturo Fuente, Rocky Patel, Cohiba, et al. My habit travels with me...

Looking forward to the game, been 10 years since I entered the confines of Homer Bryce.

Axe Em,
C. Martin '87

"Make Each Day Your Masterpiece." -- John Wooden
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alumni corner has good food and a cash bar.. It is like a $10-$15 charge but all you can eat snack foods and non alcoholic drinks.. I have also read they are going to have some good trucks right there by Alumni corner..

Not sure on question#2
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There is a cigar bar in downtown Nac I drove by a month or so ago. It's called Nacogdoches Cigar Company. Not sure what they offer though...
Buckytaylor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nacogdoches Cigar Company good guys... Also the Specs liquor store has a small humidor with good sticks
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacks4460 said:

Alumni corner has good food and a cash bar.. It is like a $10-$15 charge but all you can eat snack foods and non alcoholic drinks.. I have also read they are going to have some good trucks right there by Alumni corner..

Not sure on question#2

Alumni corner entry and food is no charge if you are a member.
SFA_03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

Ward and JT did not play due to injury. Not my place to say anything beyond that about either of them.


You see now I'm reading into this post probably too much.
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
65tosspowertrap said:

Two questions I urgently need answers to, as I am making the 260-mile journey from the Hill Country to watch the Jacks play this weekend (seriously, they're not urgent, but what the heck):
1. Do they sell food and malted beverages at the tailgate area?
2. Can anyone recommend a good place in the city -- or surrounding area -- a guy can get some good quality cigars? Not swisher sweets or those other nasty things...good product. Arturo Fuente, Rocky Patel, Cohiba, et al. My habit travels with me...

Looking forward to the game, been 10 years since I entered the confines of Homer Bryce.

Axe Em,
C. Martin '87

"Make Each Day Your Masterpiece." -- John Wooden
Food trucks are supposed to be set up by noon, Alumni Corner opens at 3:00.

I'm assuming there won't be any alcohol sold from the trucks, but there is a cash bar at the Alumni Corner as mentioned and then you can get beer inside the stadium.

Also, bring a cooler or just buy a cheap styrofoam cooler from a grocery store (I've purchased one at Kroger in Nac before), bring a few chairs and relax under the shady pine trees. You are most definitely welcome to sit at or around my tailgate tent.

As always, I encourage anyone that reads this to come out early and just grab a chair and hang out, regardless if you're drinking or not. It's a fun time out there when people start showing up, I'm hoping that starts to become earlier and earlier like a real tailgating school. Anyone wearing purple is welcome at my tailgate when I am in town.

PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Also, I don't think I've seen this mentioned much if at all, but the garage at East College and Raguet is open and free for gamedays.
sfajack05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll be coming down this weekend with the family. Won't get there until probably 3:00 due to my daughters soccer game at 1:00.

Probably going to hit up butcher boys and then make our way down to tailgate.

I did get a parking pass from the PLF. Is the map on the page still correct (it says 2019)?
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Yeah it's the same. Although I'm not sure how they are going to handle Level II passes going forward with Lumberjack Alley closing down Hayter St. Through traffic is supposed to be closed at noon.
65tosspowertrap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
THANK you all for the recommendations. I'll check out both Specs and the downtown cigar place. If anybody's interested in a cigar, let me know, I'll bring you a stick. On me. Just keep it below $10.

See you Saturday,
Chris
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Unfortunately, the weather forecast is looking worse by the day. We can never do anything fun can we?
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.