GAME WEEK: WEST TEXAS A&M

8,435 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

SFA (0-3) VS. WEST TEXAS A&M (1-1) <1970's Helmets>

WHEN: OCT. 3 (SAT.) 4:00 P.M.
WHERE: NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS (HOMER BRYCE STADIUM)
TV: ESPN3

The Lumberjacks of SFA now take a step back from the FBS for a nice little return to the ole Lone Star Conference (1931-1984), starting with the Buffalos of West Texas A&M.

In 2019 the Buffs went 8-3 overall and 5-3 in conference play, the three losses coming from #4 Tarleton State, #25 Angelo State (close loss 14-17) and #24 Texas A&M Commerce.

Currently WT is 1-1 coming off their first loss of the season to conference rival Angelo State in a defensive struggle 10-21 where only 7 total points were scored in the second half.

The Buffs are led by former Texas Tech walk-on transfer QB Nick Gerber 6-1; 190 out of Levelland, Texas where he passed for 13,100 yards and 157 TDs (2014-2016) during his high school career.

Gerber had an incredible two seasons at Levelland High where during his senior year, he broke the all- time Texas High School Football single season passing and TDs records (5,617 yards and 77 TDs in 14 games) and as a junior he also won the 4A offensive MVP award.

Out of high school Gerber had one offer to play at North Texas, but instead chose to go the JUCO route enrolling at Tyler J.C. where he played in 8 games completing 60% of his passes for 624 yards and 2TDs.

In 2018 Nick walked on at Texas Tech redshirting and working out with the scout team along coach Kliff Kingsbury.

Finally, in 2019 Gerber made his way to West Texas A&M earning the starting QB position.

Playing in all 11 games Nick had 2,306 total yards and 24 TDs, leading WT to 8 wins, the most wins for the Buffs in 6 years.

For the 2020 season Gerber has 446 total yards and 4 TDs with 1 INT.

WT leading rusher is Brandon Blair 146 yards rushing and 1TD, and leading receiver senior wide out Chase Sojka with 5 catches and 137 yards with 1 TD.

The defense is led by all-conference senior linebacker Hayden Dennis (20 TKL) who lead the team in tackles for 2019 with 118 with 11 of those for a loss, a sack and 3 QBH.

In the secondary and at kick returner the Buffs have Junior DB Tobias Harris 5-9; 180 out of Pflugerville, Texas who was the 2018 Lone Star Conference Freshman of the Year recording 48 tackles and 7 INTs also earning All-American honors.

Last season Harris returned 44 total kicks and punts for 1,007 yards (23-yard average) and 2 TD
(5 TDs total in his two seasons at WT). On defense TKL:68;TFL:4.0;QBH:1;INT:1;BU:13

WT Head Coach Hunter Hughes this now his 4th season in Canyon led the Buffs to their first winning season (6-5) in 3 years during the 2018 season with back to back seasons of wins over ranked teams. Coach Hughes had 9 players earn all-conference honors in 2019.

Looking for a good outing for the Jacks who once again are feeling the injury bug and patching up units to play every week.

An interesting note, the Buffs defense has yet to cause a turnover for the season.

We need throw back helmets for the next two games.

The following are from the LSC years...

AXE'EM
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

SFA (0-3) VS. WEST TEXAS A&M (1-1) <1970's Helmets>

WHEN: OCT. 3 (SAT.) 4:00 P.M.
WHERE: NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS (HOMER BRYCE STADIUM)
RADIO: Q107.7

The Lumberjacks of SFA now take a step back from the FBS for a nice little return to the ole Lone Star Conference (1931-1984), starting with the Buffalos of West Texas A&M.

In 2019 the Buffs went 8-3 overall and 5-3 in conference play, the three losses coming from #4 Tarleton State, #25 Angelo State (close loss 14-17) and #24 Texas A&M Commerce.

Currently WT is 1-1 coming off their first loss of the season to conference rival Angelo State in a defensive struggle 10-21 where only 7 total points were scored in the second half.
Good work 93, as usual.
TheRevSFA
I'm just happy to get to go back to Nac
SFASawmillGuy
Should be a comfortable win. If we don't play down to our opponents like we have in the past and we play like we played the past 3 weeks, I expect a very large comfortable win.
Our pass rush should give their QB fits and I think we keep them from getting a running game going.
Offensively, this is your time Trae. I expect to see him connect with Gipson and co. early and often and have himself a day.
SFAJack_76
Cat Herder
Looking forward to this game. Their leading rusher is a strong runner and quick. He went to our high school and like many good athletes was overlooked by bigger schools. We won't be able to bring him down with any arm tackles. Axe'em!
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Some positives in the two deep. Ward, Beymer, Coleman. Heard still not being back is disappointing.
SFAJack_76
We sat on one of these at the last soccer match. Quite comfortable.

SFAXE93
Rise and shine!

GAME DAY!

Bison Burgers on the grill

nacluth
What a beautiful day to play!
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
Camera work and audio is awful...
SFASawmillGuy
I think we have more rushing yards in that first drive then we've had any game this year.
SFASawmillGuy
I may need to amend my score prediction....
SFASawmillGuy
Who are these guys on the ESPN3 Broadcast and where is Rob Meyer? I know he's doing the radio broadcast but why doesn't he do the streams anymore?
These guys just aren't not good.
SFAXE93
I see true freshman OL: #72 Justice Guillory 6-3; 325 is playing in his first game of the season and starting at left guard.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Certainly more fun so far today.

The ESPN guys are bad....I have Meyers on 107.7 going and mute on the ESPN....and audio and video are well synced now.
Ljacks&Longnecks
How bad is the ESPN today.....right now the scoreboard on the bottom reads Away Name 0 Home team 17.
SFASawmillGuy
If it's synced I'll definitely watch it. But when I tried earlier the radio broadcast was fast.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well at first my radio call was behind the vid. Then I had it right .....now audio a bit behind again
SFASawmillGuy
My wife got annoyed with it and went into the bedroom. Lol
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good time to let the new guy try a 50 yarder....had distance but wide.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
The chainsaw audio on 3rd downs is just plain stupid!
SFASawmillGuy
It's so stupid but I love it. I kind of want more stupid stuff to make our game day experience more fun for the fans.
I remember breaking axe handles when I was there.
SFAXE93
WT defense is taking it to us.
SFASawmillGuy
Clear what we need to recruit this spring.
That and maybe complain to under armor about those gloves with all these dropped passes....
SFASawmillGuy
They really aren't. We just can't catch a pass right now to save our lives. If we don't drop some of those we are winning 31-0 at least.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well since the good 1st quarter the offense has sputtered the whole 2nd qtr. Couple of dropped passes have stopped us. Need to pick it back up on offense in the 2nd half.
SFASawmillGuy
Yeah. Honestly they aren't outplaying us. And it's not a matter of bad blocking, bad throws, or anything. It's just receivers dropping passes.
SFASawmillGuy
Self is 5-14 so far but honestly the receivers have dropped 5 to 7 very catchable passes.
BigJack85
Ya. Little bit of "I finally get a look at the ball without having one of those SMU db's staring them down.
BigJack85
I don't know. I kind of like it. In fact I found it kind of cool.
SFAXE93
Tackling issues
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.