GAME WEEK: UTSA

21,171 Views | 195 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pilotgirl
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was thinking that with a huge backlog of players, something like hockey platoons might work at some positions.

Like DB, maybe you can swap them all out every 3 plays so guys can go full gas again and again.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Haven't seen Carl Williams play. Wonder if there is something lingering from the UTEP game?

Carl wore 91
Jacks4460
SFA_03 said:

I'm still very proud of this team. They are infinitely better than last year and these young guys are getting very valuable experience. They'll win a lot of games next year.

Couldn't of said it better myself.. We have 47 fresh and soph on our bus heading back home to Nac.. We are gonna win... I promise those youngsters will not stop until we do.. it takes a little time..Carthel and crew are building us a PROGRAM that will last even when the move on... I sure love the 14.5 today too.. I was at the game and saw 0 negative body language and we were tuned in and focus.. Everyone's head in the game..
SFAXE93
Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Haven't seen Carl Williams play. Wonder if there is something lingering from the UTEP game?

Carl wore 91
Is that his new number now? Did he play?
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Carl wore 91
Is that his new number now? Did he play?
Isn't on the participation list.

https://sfajacks.com/sports/football/stats/2020/utsa/boxscore/9002
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460
Yep he played and actually it was the best I have seen him play.. When he was in there there was a good push up the middle.. My dad said"dang 91 just took up three blockers someone should be there for a tackle" Xarl really looked a lot better than I had seen him.. He was a vocal leader on the sidelines when not playing and before the game he was getting his teammates fired up.. He probably played 45% of the snaps..
SFAXE93
Good to hear about Carl, I look forward to seeing him dominate that line in the next few years, the guy can pretty much lift a car.

The #91 probably threw off the stats guy.
SFAXE93
OK, I see #91 Carl in this clip/

SFA Jack Fanatic
In perusing the stats, a couple of things stand out to me...

1) Third down conversions --- 2 of 12 compared to UTSA's 13 of 19. Got to improve on that. Part of that is better play selection by the coaches.

2) Offensive Line --- the O-Line gave up three sacks, but they were not drive-killers and were the result of receivers not getting open. The O-Line is much-improved on pass protection from last year, but need to improve on run blocking. Only 59 yards rushing and 2.8 per carry. Improvement showing but still has a ways to go.

3) Defense --- They gave up 498 yards. At first look, that doesn't look good. But they were going against a heck of a QB. He's a Lamar Jackson type of guy. An escape artist with a good arm, too. SFA won't face many of those going forward, thank goodness. The DB's performed well. Myles Heard had a monster game.

4) Trae Self --- I thought Trae became a high-level college football player yesterday. He was outstanding. Poised in the pocket and threw well when rolling out. 285 yards on 21 of 33. Against a decent FBS defense.

5) Xavier Gibson --- Another outstanding performance. Great hands, elusive, with speed to burn. He left a couple of their DB's in his rearview mirror. I thought Larry Jones played very well, too. I honestly didn't know anything about him before yesterday. I do now.

I thought yesterday was another step in the growth of the program. A huge step. Disappointed but greatly encouraged.
SFAXE93
...and UTSA had 498 yards or so against Texas State, so it is what they do.

Gibson is fun to watch and Larry Jones III also at 5-9, it's like twins out there, running all over the place with the try and catch me attitude.

Jones signed with KSU back in 2016 out of Timberview with his 4.4 spd. then transferred to our "farm system" at Butler CC where he had about 500 yards in receiving and 4 TDs.

Also LB: Brevin Randle is a beast TKL:14;TFL:2.0;SCK:1.0;FR:2

SFA Jack Fanatic
"Hard to cover in a phone booth". ROFL! Carthel is pretty good with the one-liners.
SFAJack_76
UTSA RV .... what a weird season.
SFASawmillGuy
So if we beat UTSA and UTEP would we be receiving votes?
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

So if we beat UTSA and UTEP would we be receiving votes?

Tbh, probably.
Pilotgirl
Gipson not Gibson....I keep correcting people because he is my favorite player. And because people butcher my name all the time so I know how it feels. *steps off soap box*
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Gipson not Gibson....I keep correcting people because he is my favorite player. And because people butcher my name all the time so I know how it feels. *steps off soap box*
Been correcting Allen to Alan all my life. Generally, people get Jones right.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Been correcting Allen to Alan all my life. Generally, people get Jones right.

I have to go the other way. Grew up knowing an Alan, now my father in law's name is Allen & I always have to remember when I write it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

How can people butcher the word Pilot??
SFASawmillGuy
In fairness, the official SFA football twitter misspelled it multiple times as well.
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

How can people butcher the word Pilot??

It's a mystery! Lol

I get called several different names for my 1st name..Stephanie is very common because it rhymes with Tiffany. My last name? Forget it...people can't spell it , let alone pronounce it. One of my campuses (that doesn't particularly like me because I keep them on the straight and narrow lol) purposely mispronounce my name during meetings. They come up with a new pronunciation each time. It's pretty annoying.
Pilotgirl
SFA_03 said:

In fairness, the official SFA football twitter misspelled it multiple times as well.

And that makes it even worse. I have a friend with the last name of Gipson and people call her Gibson all the time...probably why I'm more cognizant of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.