Tailgate Hypothetical

5,888 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PurpleOut
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Something that I've been thinking about, and this is hypothetical (and also assuming normal events come back).

Is everyone familiar with Tailgate Guys?

If you're not, they are a company that provide premium tailgate services. You pay for a season or individual game, and have different tailgate packages that they set up for you. Including tents, tables/chairs, TVs with DirectTV, coolers, catering options, etc. I've been to a few tailgates in Austin with friends that use them and it's not a bad deal. You basically show up and everything is set up for you, and then they take it down.

For those here that tailgate even occasionally, if we had that option would you be interested? Why or why not?
BigJack85
I'm debating if I'm going to make the effort this year.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

I'm debating if I'm going to make the effort this year.

But not considering this year, COVID, etc. Just hypothetically, if you knew you were coming to a single game ahead of time...or had season tickets...would you be interested in paying for a personal and complete tailgate spot that was already set up for you?

My thought process, somewhat based on personal experience as I get older and live out of town...I love tailgating but it's starting to become more of a chore to always haul around tents, chairs, grills, etc. And I feel like I'm not the only one there.
BigJack85
I think I would like to try it! Part of what "I" enjoy of tailgating is the chaos around cooking and drinking. What I don't enjoy is the setup. So,,,, If setting up a purple tent and purple chairs is part of the value proposition, I'm listening!
TallTexan
As someone who doesn't tailgate a ton, I feel like I'd be interested. what's a service like this run?
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

As someone who doesn't tailgate a ton, I feel like I'd be interested. what's a service like this run?

There would be different packages. Tailgate Guys is really only at big schools, where Texas and big schools charge a lot (arguably too much), and they also charge more based on the opponent.. But they start with plans of a simple 10x10, chairs, one table and a custom sign. Then they go to packages with a 10x20, 20x20 and include DirectTV, coolers with ice, fans, etc.

You can see their packages for Texas games here: https://tailgateguys.com/university-of-texas
BigJack85
Admittedly a little pricey. If they opened a franchise in Nacogdoches I'd be a customer. I think I would want a starter package to be in the $300-$400 range. Then , maybe we're cooking. I'd still want to do my own grilling and beverages. I'd be paying essentially for tent set up along with chairs and a few tables.
TallTexan
I think a Nac rental company or small entrepreneur could do some business in that 3 to 400 dollar range.

Interesting concept for sure.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I think a Nac rental company or small entrepreneur could do some business in that 3 to 400 dollar range.

Interesting concept for sure.
Perhaps.

https://www.universityrentalnac.com/index.php
TheRevSFA
We had a tailgate set up by university rentals once and man it made life easier.

Also I reserved a spot for 10/3. I need a day in Nac.
BigJack85
Strongly considering.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah we've used University Rentals before, and that's who sets up all of the larger tents for the Alumni Association and other spots (I think). Just having the tent set up by itself was a huge help, but they aren't really designed to have smaller tailgate services. Great if you need a large tent.

But I'm still thinking more customized packages geared towards the football/basketball fan. Especially for a season ticket holder that would be in the same spot, every week.
PurpleOut
Staff
Found a few old pics of the two different times we used University Rental. The first was when we purchased the tailgate package from the Homecoming auction. They gave us this red and white tent that looked like a circus. It worked, but not exactly a football tailgate (to me).

The second we booked/paid for ourselves, and it was better, but still not fully what I'm going for (concept in my head).

Like I said on the other thread, I think there's so much potential for a real tailgate environment in this area. You have this large area on grass under the trees, Alumni Corner just a few feet away, the huge ECRC lot that could be a nice Lumberjack Alley type area, as well as other spots down Raguet off of the lot that has grass and trees.
BigJack85
Really enjoy that little corner...and with 2 or 3 "regulars" in addition to our two tents , could be GREAT.
PurpleOut
Staff
I redid my picture sort of, because why not. This would be a great environment if we had enough tailgaters to buy in. I know the old Lumberjack Alley was also a lot of students, but if we could get everyone else involved in this area, while bringing in vendors...it could be pretty legit. Every purple spot would be a pre-purchased, pre-set up purple tent and tailgate. Wishful thinking for now.

The problem, as discussed before would be parking. I think we need to add another garage in the area since we don't have the land.

BigJack85
That layout is superior to anything I've seen from the athletic department.
PurpleOut
Staff
Bringing back this older thread because I've had some other ideas, and a few conversations.

This summer I randomly asked Ivey if I could pay to tailgate in the South Endzone. Basically just like the mobile suites behind the opposite endzone, but I pay a set fee and bring my own stuff. Or, better yet we have a service like I mentioned at the top of this thread where there's a tent set up for you, and you can pay for additional services. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

If you didn't see it this past weekend, they added some small bleacher sections behind the endzone for students:

Why not just go ahead and put more bleachers here and make this the only student section? You can see the PHA flag in the pic as well, the students were on the lower hill stretching to the corner further away from the action. Probably the most unengaged I've ever seen them.

In fact, since getting students into the stadium is one of our biggest problems...why not just block off this entire back endzone area and let them tailgate there? It's just a ton of wasted space.

Look at what Texas State did this past weekend:

Seems like there is a ton of potential for a cool experience down there.

BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Bringing back this older thread because I've had some other ideas, and a few conversations.

This summer I randomly asked Ivey if I could pay to tailgate in the South Endzone. Basically just like the mobile suites behind the opposite endzone, but I pay a set fee and bring my own stuff. Or, better yet we have a service like I mentioned at the top of this thread where there's a tent set up for you, and you can pay for additional services. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

If you didn't see it this past weekend, they added some small bleacher sections behind the endzone for students:

Why not just go ahead and put more bleachers here and make this the only student section? You can see the PHA flag in the pic as well, the students were on the lower hill stretching to the corner further away from the action. Probably the most unengaged I've ever seen them.

In fact, since getting students into the stadium is one of our biggest problems...why not just block off this entire back endzone area and let them tailgate there? It's just a ton of wasted space.

Look at what Texas State did this past weekend:

Seems like there is a ton of potential for a cool experience down there.

Agree 100%. Anything to get them in the stadium.
PurpleOut
Staff
Since this is a more viewed thread, they are adding Lumberjack Alley for the MVSU game. Ivey just confirmed that it's going to be on Hayter St close to the Alumni Corner.

I think this is an awesome idea that they could turn into a long term deal. Especially if they can market it to everyone to come tailgate there. We have so many people that still complain about not having the old Lumberjack Alley in the commuter lot, it would be great if could try to centralize everyone around Hayter and the Alumni Corner.

Make half of it a "fan fest" type area with food trucks, music, games, etc and the rest of the street be tailgating along the side or in the street. If everyone bought in (which is an extreme stretch) it would be a great atmosphere leading to the stadium.

I think this actually trumps my idea of turning the ECRC lot into Lumberjack Alley so we can keep that as gameday parking.
BigJack85
This is great. Wish I had the weekend available for September 18th. Darn. Well, hopefully September 25th is good. Axe 'Em Jacks
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Since this is a more viewed thread, they are adding Lumberjack Alley for the MVSU game. Ivey just confirmed that it's going to be on Hayter St close to the Alumni Corner.

I think this is an awesome idea that they could turn into a long term deal. Especially if they can market it to everyone to come tailgate there. We have so many people that still complain about not having the old Lumberjack Alley in the commuter lot, it would be great if could try to centralize everyone around Hayter and the Alumni Corner.

Make half of it a "fan fest" type area with food trucks, music, games, etc and the rest of the street be tailgating along the side or in the street. If everyone bought in (which is an extreme stretch) it would be a great atmosphere leading to the stadium.

I think this actually trumps my idea of turning the ECRC lot into Lumberjack Alley so we can keep that as gameday parking.
Thoughts on how far this is from the stadium? I know it's not a huge walk, but it is a walk.

I take it that tailgating by the ag pond wasn't catching on?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Thoughts on how far this is from the stadium? I know it's not a huge walk, but it is a walk.

I take it that tailgating by the ag pond wasn't catching on?

I think this is in "addition" to the student tailgating. I assume. It's not far. We tailgate just opposite of the Hayter street area I think the new "Lumberjack Alley" will be located.
TallTexan
I mixed up where it was in my head. When I saw Alumni Corner I thought near the alumni center.

I think Hayter will work great for lumberjack alley.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

I mixed up where it was in my head. When I saw Alumni Corner I thought near the alumni center.

Now THAT would be awesome. If we could close down Alumni Drive and tailgate in front of the Austin building. That would be beautiful.
PurpleOut
Staff
I like where this is heading!

PurpleOut
Staff
I'm sure there are going to be some hurdles, but would be awesome if we could figure out how to get other local businesses set up. Similar to the local farmers market, but more geared towards food and drinks/alcohol.

A lot of places I've been to around the country have popups at games without having food trucks. Those that sold alcohol had a fenced area and checked IDs. Seems like it could be a big hit for everyone.
LUMBERJACK2005
This is a great idea. I'd definitely be interested in something like this!
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Now THAT would be awesome. If we could close down Alumni Drive and tailgate in front of the Austin building. That would be beautiful.

Would be Grove-esque.

Granted, I'm not the world's best tailgater, but to me the distance from the stadium might be a challenge to get people into the game.

Think right now building the culture on Hatter might be the best option.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Would be Grove-esque.

Granted, I'm not the world's best tailgater, but to me the distance from the stadium might be a challenge to get people into the game.

Think right now building the culture on Hatter might be the best option.
Yeah I was only meaning hypothetically.

Technically I've walked further from parking/tailgating to a stadium, but 99% of our fans wouldn't go for that.
PurpleOut
Staff
I think we always have, and always will need better parking. Even with the garage on East College, I think if there were more options you would have a better opportunity to get more fans into the early earlier before kickoff.

That or back to my shuttle idea from off-campus parking lots.

Then, you just need something for them to do...which is the overall idea here.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I think we always have, and always will need better parking. Even with the garage on East College, I think if there were more options you would have a better opportunity to get more fans into the early earlier before kickoff.

Parking garages are expensive, but I wish they'd put the charter school up against the street and stuck a parking garage behind it.

Or atleast had the parking back there so that you could do a garage in the future.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Parking garages are expensive, but I wish they'd put the charter school up against the street and stuck a parking garage behind it.

Or atleast had the parking back there so that you could do a garage in the future.
I wonder if they've considered that small parking lot next to Jackbackers across the street from the other garage.

Not sure who actually owns that property, but I believe the back half is for that small apartment complex behind Jackbackers. But that's really good space, considering we could use areas where things can be built up and not out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.