Week 1: UTEP Miners

20,088 Views | 173 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

I don't drink football koolaid. My tastes for being a sucker lay in other sports. However, we are better than last year.

I had forgotten how an expected result could put a damper on a Saturday.
MasterAxe
UTEP plays at UT next week?

Yikes. 75-0, guaranteed.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

UTEP plays at UT next week?

Yikes. 75-0, guaranteed.

If UT doesn't put 60 on them, it's going to be a long season as a Texas fan.
MasterAxe
Last one then night night:

Played even with an FBS (albeit, maybe the worst) outside of 3 plays.

The question we have to ask: Is Trae Self capable of being a guy who can win games? Not so much this (although it would be nice) but, next year? When it really counts?

I just don't see a guy (still) who can be good enough to make the big throws when we need it.
TallTexan
I don't want to crap on the team too much. What's disappointing is that the only difference between SFA & UTEP is 22 scholarships, not talent level and we should have won that game still.

That said, we're fortunate there's even SFA football. Hopefully we'll improve across the year and be ready for 2021.

Also, hopefully there's a JUCO QB out there somewhere because we've gotta be able to hit open passes.

One bright spot was Oline/Dline. We didn't give them much on the ground and gave our QB sometime. Improvements there will make the whole team look better over time.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well that was disappointing and a bit disheartening. A solid first 27 minutes then a big letdown. Badly thrown interception in the 4th that crushed our hopes. Very winnable game against a weak sister of the FBS but it wasn't to be. Passing accuracy again rears it's ugly head and the secondary play allowed UTEP to hold onto the ball far too long.

UTSA and SMU will not be good....but perhaps the rest of the schedule will give us some W's.

As always, lots of work to be done.
RedRiverLa
Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

I'm sorry but if we can't beat one of the worst FBS teams, I'm glad we won't play in conference this year and this year is the post season ban. Either way, I win since El Paso is my hometown and was a Miner for 2 years. Good for them...they've tied their record from last 2 years.

We're going to be their only win.

That's sad for both UTEP and SFA
UTEP averaged 27 points last year against FBS teams that are much much better than we are. Their record has been horrendous in FBS the last two years, but they aren't incompetent, they can play football. Texas will kill them, but even with bad 3rd down D, two plays kept us from winning, - the fumble and the jump ball interception in the endzone. Much less to clean up this year than in many years past, I"m sure the next two games we will have more to clean up, but I have confidence we will get things clean.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good points Red. I do think we will get there and 2021 should be the goal at this point.
TallTexan
That's a good point.
Pilotgirl
I kept up with a UTEP message board pretty much all game. That was very entertaining Lol
AxeEm99
Typical football season for the Jacks. We have a LONG way to go and alot more disappointment to come before we turn the corner! At least we dont have to lose again to the Bearkats until next year.... On the bright side, Carthel will likely be here a few more years than I originally thought when he first arrived!!
Buckytaylor
Witnessed this live, my take was the turnovers hurt us. Our def front played pretty good, it's extremely difficult to apply pressure on slants and quick hits. Our DB's hurt us but we don't have many to get upset at. QB not seeing the field to well and during this practice year I'd like to open the playbook up to more than handoffs and bubble screens. Keep the conservative play up for conference foes. Smu will keep the defense on the field the entire game and with a handful of secondary people it will be a track meet. But I'm still in!
TallTexan
I was impressed with the D line for the most part. Not getting run over by an FBS team's oline is an accomplishment.

Not that UTEP has any business being an FCS school.

But those extra schollies help on building an Oline.
SFASawmillGuy
There's a ton of overreacting going on here in my opinion. Should we have won this game? Absolutely.
But let's not forget that even the worst FBS school is always expected to beat the best FCS one, it's always an upset. The difference between us and them Is in the trenches, and that's exactly where they beat us. I think we match them everywhere else.
Will they win again this year? I think maybe a couple of games. But I think we showed massive improvement from last year in pretty much every single aspect.

I think we should also go into UTSA with the same pride and passion as we did this game. Expect to win. We will win.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I have to disagree about the D-line. There simply was not enough pressure being put on the QB. Sure, quick hitters are hard to stop, but think about all of the long balls they also threw. What did we have, one sack? That didn't get it done.

And one more thing... the pretty pass-and-run to Rikel for the early TD. Did we ever even try to throw to him again? I think not. Why not? That young man's got speed and talent. The play calling, just like last year, was plain vanilla.

On to UTSA....
SFAXE93
So retired or likely retired...

WR Tamrick Pace
S Alize Ward
LB Gerard McKnight

Also not in the game last night

DE Marcus Mosley Jr. (big part of our d line last season)
DT Rayshad Nichols
LB Bert Morris
S: Trenton Gordon
S: Gavin Roland
S: Trey Ramos
S: Kris McCune
CB: Caleb Lawton
CB: Bruce Harmon
CB: Kevin Gilliam Jr.
K: Alex Schrag
OL: Terrin Robinson

That's a lot of key players and seniors out and they still could have won.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
TallTexan
What happened with Tamrick?
TallTexan
I actually woke up more excited about this season.

Oline gave up what, one sack? That's a far better effort than Zach Conque ever saw.

Still impressed with the Dline. I don't know what offense Dimel tries to run, frankly I don't think he knows, but if you can largely stop the run and QB run from an old KStats coach, that's not a bad performance.

Sure,towards the end they started breaking some runs lose but our D played a lot. And a lot of those 3rd and long conversions didn't seem to be coverage breakdowns, they seemed to be bad coverage in the first place. We can clean that up.

I wonder what coaches see in practice at QB. Gotta think that they roll with Self, he must be able to hit those go routes on occasion. In terms of also opening the offense up, didn't someone say Self was one of the faster guys on the team? Roll him out right or left more and make the defense account for him.

Feel like the RBs were pretty decent all things considered. We weren't hitting long passes to keep folks out of the box and the RBs still werent going down on first contact.

Let's go beat UTSA, we got two weeks to clean it up.
SFAXE93
Play some zone read with Self tucking a few.
SFAJack_76
Random thoughts.

D line was fine. Carl Williams is a massive young man. It was good to see him back in the game in the second half. We do need more pressure on the QB, but I think blitzes need to be a bigger part of that. Our LB play was not stellar. The secondary was way short on talent and depth due to injuries. It showed.

Missed Schrag kicking off. He makes the end zone more often than not.

Self was 14-21. The interception was a horrible decision. Missed two downfield opportunities. One probably would have been a TD. The two scrambles for first downs were big. I am not as excited about him running as some of you are. We still have a ways to go with the O line, but they are much improved.

The difference between 85 and 63 scholarships is massive. Depth means a lot. Never under appreciate that difference.

The "fumble" at the end of the first half should have been reviewed. Not convinced he had possession. Arguably the biggest play of the game.

This team is well ahead of this time last season. The fact we are playing this fall is a really big deal.
PurpleOut
Staff
Starting next week, let's start a "Morning After" thread for post game thoughts.
PurpleOut
Staff
Other than the turnovers, biggest key to me was not getting off the field on 3rd downs. There were at least 3-4 3rd and longs that UTEP converted. We were gassed at the end.

Which ties directly to time of possession. 36:47 for UTEP vs 23:13 for us. That's killer. Offense was pretty efficient, just didn't have the ball much.

That and special teams. Kickoff returns were a disaster and put us in bad field position several times. The punt out of the endzone was fantastic however.
TallTexan
Ya we really need to start taking the 25 free yards.
SFAXE93
AFTER ONE...

SAW ACTION...
11 FRESHMEN
21 SOPHOMORES
8 JUNIORS
8 SENIORS

QB:#2 TRAE SELF 6-4; 190 JR.
G:1;CMP:14;ATT:21;CP%:66.7;YDS:133;TD:1;INT:1;RTD:0

RB:#21 DA'LEON WARD 5-10;180 SR.
G:1;R:14;YDS:51;AVG:4.0;TD:1/REC:1;YDS:6;TD:0
RB:#22 JOSH MCGOWEN 5-10; 222 SR.
G:1;R:5;YDS:39;AVG:8.0;TD:0/REC:1;YDS:-6;TD:0
RB:#24 JAQUARION TURNER 5-11; 202 R/FR.
G:1;R:0;YDS:0;AVG:0.0;TD:0/REC:0;YDS:0;TD:0
RB:#29 KORBYN WHITE 5-9; 175 FR.
G:1;R:0;YDS:0;AVG:0.0;TD:0/REC:0;YDS:0;TD:0

WR:#85 QUENTYVIAN BORDERS 6-2; 180 JR.
G:1;REC:2;YDS:41;TD:0
WR:#19 XAVIER GIBSON 5-9; 170 SO.
G:1;REC:3;YDS:29;TD:0
WR:#8 LARRY JONES III 5-9; 185 SR.
G:1;REC:2;YDS:20;TD:0
WR:#15 LAWTON RIKEL 6-1; 175 SO.
G:1;REC:1;YDS:17;TD:1
WR:#9 REMI SIMMONS 5-11; 185 SR.
G:1;REC:1;YDS:14;TD:0
WR:#11 JEREMIAH MILLER 6-2; 190 JR.
G:1;REC:2;YDS:11;TD:0
WR:#80 JAMES SOWERS 6-4; 200 SO.
G:1;REC:0;YDS:0;TD:0
WR:#89 TY LOVE 6-2; 181 FR.

TE:#87 ALLEN ARCLES III 6-4; 245 SR.
TE:#86 CARSON SPENCE 6-6; 240 JR.
TE:#82 CHAD AUNE 6-4; 221 R/FR.

OL:#71 ZACH INGRAM 6-7; 275 SR. G:1
OL:#70 JARET PORTERFIELD 6-4; 300 SO. G:1
OL:#65 CLINT LAPIC 6-4; 235 SO. G:1
OL:#66 KEEGAN HOLM 6-4; 285 SO. G:1
OL:#78 DREW BEYMER 6-9; 333 JR. G:1
OL:#51 DANIEL KEYS 6-5; 271 FR. G:1

P:#37 MAX QUICK 5-10;185 SO.
G:1;P:3;YDS:116;AVG:38.7;LNG:48;IN20:1;TB:0;50+YDS:0

DE:#3 BJ THOMPSON 6-6; 210 JR.
G:1;TKL:3;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0
DE:#54 AMAD MURRAY 6-3; 245 SO.
G:1;TKL:2;TFL:1.5;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:1;BU:0
DE:#98 CHANCE HILL 6-4; 235 SO.
G:1;TKL:1;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:1;BU:0
DE:#40 MARJE SMITH 6-4; 225 JR.
G:1;TKL:0;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0
DE:#42 TERRANCE WAIR 6-1; 230 SO.

DT:#92 LARRON COX 6-2; 282 SR.
G:1;TKL:4;TFL:0.5;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0
DT:#99 DENNIS OSAGIEDE 6-0; 290 JR.
G:1;TKL:3;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:1
DT:#69 CARL WILLIMS 6-2; 356 SO.
G:1;TKL:3;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0
DT:#95 CALEB FOX 6-2; 310 FR.

LB:#0 DAYDAY COLEMAN 6-0; 225 JR.
G:1;TKL:7;TFL:1.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0
LB:#28 JERMAINE BROWN 6-1; 195 R/FR.
G:1;TKL:5;TFL:1.5;SCK:1.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0
LB:#6 BREVIN RANDLE 5-11; 228 SO.
G:1;TKL:5;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:1;QBH:0;BU:0
LB:#41 EMAN GARRISON 5-10; 187 FR.
G:1;TKL:1;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:1
LB:#39 DARYAN WILLIAMS 5-11; 218 SO.
G:1;TKL:1;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0

S:#27 JATERIOUS EVANS 6-1; 190 SO.
G:1;TKL:4;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0;INT:0
S:#32 MYLES HEARD 5-9; 208 SO.
G:1;TKL:4;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0;INT:0
S:#25 TKAI LLOYD 5-11; 180 SO.
G:1;TKL:3;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:1;INT:0
S:#1 ARETAVIOUS HENDRIX 6-1; 192 SR.
G:1;TKL:1;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0;INT:1
S:#3 KA'MAURY THOMPSON 6-0; 198 FR.
G:1;TKL:0;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0;INT:0

CB:#5 JEREMIAH WALKER 6-1; 176 FR.
G:1;TKL:6;TFL:0.5;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0;INT:0
CB:#10 MYLES BROOKS 6-1; 185 SO.
G:1;TKL:2;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0;INT:0
CB:#4 WILLIE ROBERTS 5-10; 180 SO.
G:1;TKL:2;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0;INT:0
CB:#38 EJ WILLIAMS 5-10; 172 FR.
G:1;TKL:0;TFL:0.5;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0;INT:0

PK:#58 CHRIS CAMPOS 5-10; 220 SO.
G:1;PAT:2-2
PK:#81 DYLAN BROWN 5-6; 150 SO.
G:1;KO:3;YDS:90;TB:0;OB:1;AVG:30
LS:#46 CHASE RUIZ 5-10; 235 SO.
G:1
SFAXE93

I think LB: Jermaine Brown is going to be a good one, he was beast at Manvel High at OLB.

He was a 3-star recruit coming out of high school and had offers to
Arkansas State
Bowling Green
Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
Texas State
Tulsa
Utah
UNLV
Liberty
Northwestern State
Texas A&M - Commerce (The Carthel Connection)

Against UTEP...
LB:#28 JERMAINE BROWN 6-1; 195 R/FR.
G:1;TKL:5;TFL:1.5;SCK:1.0;FF:0;FR:0;QBH:0;BU:0
SFAJack_76
The elevation at the Sun Bowl is 3,910 feet. That had an impact on our guys that have been living at a 300' elevation.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

What happened with Tamrick?

Opted not to play.
BigJack85
Ya. I listened to Rob. Sounded like we were fundamentally sound with a few exceptions. That INT in the end-zone was the killer. Put three on the board and we play this one till the final seconds with a chance to win.
SFASawmillGuy
Trae is the guy for a few reasons. The dude is a freak athlete. He is one of the faster guys, yes, and he has a cannon for an arm.
Accuracy was his Achilles heal last year but honestly other than really 2 misfires he wasn't awful yesterday. His decision making does still need work, especially in that red zone pick.
His leadership is unmatched though. That kid believes he is the best and believes we are going to be the best. Honestly giving him a "free" year followed by 2 more real years of eligibility will make him a real dangerous QB for his real Junior and senior season.

Defensively we did really well. We were just on the field for a very long time. UTEP managed the clock very well against us and it did exactly what it's supposed to do, which is tire our defense out by the 4th quarter.

It could be argued that we won 54 minutes of that game and lost 6, which happened to be the final 3 minutes of each half.

Honestly I agree. That fumble never happens we never lose momentum on offense and maybe get a couple of more scores, keeping UTEP down and giving us a chance to walk away with it.

But that's college football. One play can kill any team, and that was ours. This is gonna really test how this team handles this season though against UTSA. Can they be mature enough to grow and put themselves in position to win that game?
djsfw57
I just wasn't impressed. Hope they get better. I know they were playing an FBS team, but it was a bad FBS team. Not really excited about this season. Hope they change my mind.
SFA, Class of 1979
nacluth
As I said earlier, I came in with zero expectations. I thought we played pretty well.

I thought Self made most throws. He had a stop and go route on the outside that may have been a TD that he cannoned out of bounds, and he had the underthrown interception. Other than that, he seemed pretty good with slants and screens.

We never looked overpowered by the FBS school until the last three minutes or so, and I think that was just resignation. As people have noted, it was just a play or two that really swung momentum. We matched up well. (We didn't match up well with NWST last year.)

I think we have something to build on. I have never thought Carthel was a miracle worker, but year two definitely is starting better than year one.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAXE93 said:

WR Tamrick Pace
S Alize Ward
LB Gerard McKnight

DT Rayshad Nichols
LB Bert Morris

Have we heard why these other guys didn't play? Looks like they are all on the roster, injury?
SFAJack_76
I know Alex is injured, because he tweeted that. I heard we were thin in the secondary due to injury. I don't have any other detail.
Jacks4460
PurpleOut said:

SFAXE93 said:

WR Tamrick Pace
S Alize Ward
LB Gerard McKnight

DT Rayshad Nichols
LB Bert Morris

Have we heard why these other guys didn't play? Looks like they are all on the roster, injury?

havent heard Purple but if I was to guess I would say Rona because 4 top safeties are out and they are in the same meeting room, did drills together, and such... Pure speculation tho...
SFASawmillGuy
Texas is fighting for us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.