WEEK 9: MCNEESE

14,589 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by drhuggybear
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Know everyone's probably watching this thread & it's not football news, but Shannon got picked up in the GLeague draft.
Ljacks&Longnecks
3rd and 10 and we go with the 2 yard screen.

I know Self is Carthel's guy but when you are struggling to move the ball in a game that is still winnable why not make a change to see if that will spark us.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Exactly right huggy, the other guy with Meyers said the McNeese bench was yelling "screen, screen" before the 3rd down screen. Everyone appears to recognize our limited play selection.
drhuggybear
It's frustrating. The defense is doing a good job keeping it close. Storm missing two isn't helping but both were 45+ so it's understandable.

Offense needs to step it up. The deep balls are either 5 yards too long or 5 yards to short.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Exactly right huggy, the other guy with Meyers said the McNeese bench was yelling "screen, screen" before the 3rd down screen. Everyone appears to recognize our limited play selection.
If you didn't say McNeese, I would not be sure if you're watching the SFA game or the UT game.
TallTexan
I've been pretty surprised by the defense this year. Proud of those guys for buckling down in these games.
drhuggybear
Watch the t.u. Game? What did you do to to be punished?
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
TallTexan
drhuggybear said:

Watch the t.u. Game? What did you do to to be punished?
Thought a grad degree as expensive as a brand new F350 was a good idea.
Ljacks&Longnecks
We don't do much to help the defense....2nd kick off to go out of bounds and start McNeese at the 35. Argh
SFASawmillGuy
Remember when our offense was so good that if we only had a defense we would be undefeated?

Now our defense is so good and our offense needs to step up...
RedRiverLa
You know, the game day experience is really a noticeable difference this year, very positive and even fresh coats of paint everywhere. (If we could just get new numbers decals in the seats) I think our football team should match the experience in a year or two.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
Wow, two offsides in a row to give the ball back to them. Discipline fellows, discipline.
Lumberjack Battalion
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

What's up with the giant black tarp things?
One black tarp - fastball. Two - curveball. Three - Changeup.

Oh, wait....... Never mind...
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yep and the 2 really dumb offsides lead to an easy score.....Yes I'm frustrated.

That said, I'm surprised at the overall lack of bad or dumb penalties that we have had this year considering our youth and transfers. That is a credit to the coaching staff as SFA has always in recent memory had a tendency to have dumb personal fouls etc. .
SFASawmillGuy
This might be the first game I've seen us start to quit.
TallTexan
Who's injured?
RedRiverLa
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Yep and the 2 really dumb offsides lead to an easy score.....Yes I'm frustrated.

That said, I'm surprised at the overall lack of bad or dumb penalties that we have had this year considering our youth and transfers. That is a credit to the coaching staff as SFA has always in recent memory had a tendency to have dumb personal fouls etc. .

I agree overall. But Same penalty in a row that gives them a first down is spot discipline in that situation when the game is still a game. But I'm still very encouraged about the future.
Lumberjack Battalion
Ljacks&Longnecks
Meyers said Gerard McKnight is the injured man.
SFAXE93
and there's the fork
Ljacks&Longnecks
Agree with you Red...those offsides were killers, just ask my cats...they haven't come back to watch the rest of the game with me.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Meyers said Gerard McKnight is the injured man.
It was McKnight. True freshman starting middle linebacker. This team is so young. Head/neck issue. Think he will be okay. Obviously being very cautious.

As was mentioned, Ward was out with injury. Hope to have him back in the next week or two.
SFAXE93
He's having a solid season as a true freshman

LB:#25 Gerard McKnight 6-2; 220 (Fr.)
G:8;TKL:47;TFL:3.0;SCK:1.0;FF:0;FR:0;PBU:0;INT:0;QBH:3

4th leading tackler on the team
TallTexan
We're starting freshmen all over the place. Doesn't mean good results for this year, but should bode well for future years.
BigJack85
I don't care if we have to schedule East Texas Baptist and Southwestern Adventist is like to see at least 2 or 3 winnable games...... please. Signed Bummed Lumberjack on the Bayou.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

There is no way Self is the best Option at QB.

I'm sorry, that can't be true.
He really is Master Axe... Gotta trust me on this one..
Jacks4460
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

you are so so right on those offsides penalties... this is an example of finishing a game... We have yet to learn the little things it takes 100% of the time to finish games... We are getting there slowly but i promise we are surely gonna be there in a couple years.. If we can win more than half these games we are in this year going into the 4th qtr then that will be an improvement from year 1 and then when year 3 comes we are finishing all games..
SFASawmillGuy
Agreed that's Self is probably our best bet. We still have a TON of drops and he still is running for his life way too much. But he does throw a lot of really nice balls and can be a playmaker.
Honestly we don't know what Cam is because he hasn't played in a game much but from practice, Trae is a playmaker. He's shown that he is in games at times too.
His accuracy will come. I just hope his confidence doesn't get shot from this year.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

I don't care if we have to schedule East Texas Baptist and Southwestern Adventist is like to see at least 2 or 3 winnable games...... please. Signed Bummed Lumberjack on the Bayou.
Thats good stuff 85... sorry man keep your head up we are gonna make you proud...
Jacks4460
SFA_03 said:

Agreed that's Self is probably our best bet. We still have a TON of drops and he still is running for his life way too much. But he does throw a lot of really nice balls and can be a playmaker.
Honestly we don't know what Cam is because he hasn't played in a game much but from practice, Trae is a playmaker. He's shown that he is in games at times too.
His accuracy will come. I just hope his confidence doesn't get shot from this year.
Trae is a leader too... He is only a soph. and a year under these coaches will do wonders... Give him some weapons like Pace next year and he is gonna be really good... Pace and Ward next year will be some of the best at their positions in the SLC and our O Line is gonna have another year under Stoner and Young... Not sure who stayed after the game but they would of seen Trae and Gipson running sprints when everyone else was gone..Kids are really unhappy about not pulling out another W by now... I saw all kinds of emotions... WE NEED TO BE SUPPORTIVE OF OUR TEAM.... Our team really needs to be supported by all... We all can see a difference.. I really havent heard that much negativity and I am super excite about that... There should be some criticism yes but for the most part we have been pretty good...
SFAJack_76
I suppose most of us have reached a level of acceptance about this year. I know the coaches and players have not quit. I also know they are beat down. They need the supporters to not quit on them. As 4460 mentioned, there were some high level recruits at the game yesterday. We will get the previous regime academic advising debacle behind us. The student athletes deserve better than what some "adults" did to them. We will get some key injured kids back. The freshmen that have had to play before they should have will be much better. I believe we have a new president that is engaged and supportive of doing what we need, and doing it the right way, to be successful.

I saw what 4460 saw with the players and coaches post game. As our coach has said, these teams better get their licks in now, because our time is coming. 2020 will be better. 2021 could be exciting.
SFAXE93
I think it's been frustrating for some fans and Alumni who may have had the expectations of a quick fix with the hiring of Coach Carthel and staff (and it almost was)

They saw Carthel go into Commerce and take the reins of a losing program, boom go 7-5 for their first winning season in 11 years and then they never looked back, reeling off 6 straight winning seasons, won some conference titles and a national championship.

This team has flirted with multiple victories (1-7 could be 6-2 right now) during this Coach Carthel's first season at SFA.

SFA FOOTBALL PROGRAM BY DECADE (SINCE 1980)
1980: 4-6-0 Charlie Simmons
1981: 1-10-0 Charlie Simmons (19-44-1; .305; Conf. 15-27-0; .357)
1982: 6-5-0 Jim Hess
1983: 7-4-0 Jim Hess
1984: 7-3-1 Jim Hess
1985: 9-2-0 Jim Hess Conference Champions
1986: 5-6-0 Jim Hess
-------------------------------- (Division I)
1987: 3-7-1 Jim Hess
1988: 10-3-0 Jim Hess (47-30-2; .608; Conf. 20-18-1; .526)
1989: 12-2-1 Lynn Graves Conference Champions; National Championship Game
64-47-3; 6 Winning Seasons; 2 Conference Championships; 1 NC Game

1990: 1-10-0 Lynn Graves
1991: 2-8-1 Lynn Graves (15-20-2; .432; Conf. 7-10-2; .421)
1992: 3-8-0 John Pearce
1993: 8-4-0 John Pearce
1994: 6-3-2 John Pearce
1995: 11-2-0 John Pearce
1996: 7-4-0 John Pearce
1997: 8-3-0 John Pearce
1998: 3-8-0 John Pearce (46-32-2; .588; Conf. 24-20-1; .544)
1999: 8-3-0 Mike Santiago Conference Champions
57-53-3; 6 Winning Seasons; 1 Conference Championship

2000: 6-5-0 Mike Santiago
2001: 6-5-0 Mike Santiago
2002: 6-5-0 Mike Santiago
2003: 7-4-0 Mike Santiago
2004: 6-5-0 Mike Santiago (39-27-0; .591; Conf. 21-15-0; .583)
2005: 5-6-0 Robert McFarland
2006: 4-7-0 Robert McFarland (9-13-0; .409; Conf. 5-7-0; .417)
2007: 0-11-0 J.C. Harper
2008: 4-8-0 J.C. Harper
2009: 10-3-0 J.C. Harper Conference Champions
54-59-0; 6 Winning Seasons; 1 Conference Championship

2010: 9-3-0 J.C. Harper Conference Champions
2011: 6-5-0 J.C. Harper
2012: 5-6-0 J.C. Harper
2013: 3-9-0 J.C. Harper (37-45-0; .451; Conf. 24-25-0; .490)
2014: 8-5-0 Clint Conque
2015: 4-7-0 Clint Conque
2016: 5-6-0 Clint Conque
2017: 4-7-0 Clint Conque
2018: 2-7-0 Jeff Byrd
2019: 1-7-0 Colby Carthel
47-62-0; 3 Winning Seasons; 1 Conference Championship

RedRiverLa
SFA_03 said:

Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
RedRiverLa said:

SFA_03 said:

I didn't see that from the defense, they just got so gassed from being on the field So long throughout the game, because they didn't get substantial help from extended drives by the offense. I'd be curious to see time of possession. But all in all, we are definitely going in the right direction and you can see the foundation being built. Weird how sports can be, but I'm in a much better place with this 1-7 team than I was over the last several years when we had multiple wins at this point. It felt like we were just wallowing then, now there is progression that is going to pay off.
Lumberjack Battalion
SFAXE93

MCNEESE 32:08
SFA 27:52
mccowboys
I came here to see how the young man was doing. I hope he will be OK.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.