WEEK 8: ABILENE CHRISTIAN

18,354 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jacks4460
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Completely impotent 3rd qtr by offense. Self has 188 yards passing before last completion but as announcers pointed out about 133 of them were on the two long scores.
Jacks4460
Yes exactly his feet are going everywhere..0
sfajack05
Whoever is in charge of this broadcast is awful
Ljacks&Longnecks
Gipson's 2nd touchdown keeps us alive at 24-21. Offense a no show in 3rd qtr, then has a long 88 yard drive to stay alive. I guess bi-polar does cover it.
SFASawmillGuy
Agreed. Those camera angles are horrible.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Big Stop. Offense we need you now!
BigJack85
Punch it in.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
Our redzone offense and play calling this season has been pitiful. Especially inside the 10.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Agreed
SFASawmillGuy
I would've thrown on 3rd down. But Storm is automatic. I trust the decision to not go for it.
SFASawmillGuy
Free football!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Terrible and idiotic play calling from the 1 yard line.
SFASawmillGuy
I'm gonna be sick.
sfajack05
Good lord
SFASawmillGuy
That timeout....
PurpleOut
Staff
Another game we should have already won. First and goal from the 2? I cannot STAND having a QB in the shot gun in that situation. You don't have 1 play under center for a QB sneak? Awful.
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

Another game we should have already won. First and goal from the 2? I cannot STAND having a QB in the shot gun in that situation. You don't have 1 play under center for a QB sneak? Awful.

We've used a lot of plays under center all year. It's confusing.
BigJack85
Crap. Crap.
sfajack05
So damn frustrating
TallTexan
ACU's camera work is as bad as our redzone playcalling.
PurpleOut
Staff
Really confused on why we only have one play on 3rd down.
RedRiverLa
I can hear it now after "we're just going to bring our lunch and hard hat and get back to work". Well you should have brought your hard hat and lunch on the 2 yard line when the game was there to win. Shotgun? Are you kidding me?
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Put this loss on the coaching staff. Play calling in the red zone is predictable and awful.
Guys gave great effort and then got shot in the foot by very poor coaching decisions.
Pitiful...should have been a win.
SFAJack_76
That one stings. Very winnable in regulation and OT. Continued poor red zone execution. Ruiz missing a 27 yard field goal. What a season. I keep telling myself that it is a process. Painful.
SFAJack_76
Carthel needs to get Humphreys to teach them how to finish a game.
PurpleOut
Staff
Guys played hard. Yeah we're playing a ton of freshmen but there's no reason to lose that game.
MasterAxe
I didn't get to watch. Can someone recap what happened at the end of regulation and in OT?
RedRiverLa
PurpleOut said:

Guys played hard. Yeah we're playing a ton of freshmen but there's no reason to lose that game.

Agree, lest we forget our coach is also a freshman, and it really showed tonight.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

That one stings. Very winnable in regulation and OT. Continued poor red zone execution. Ruiz missing a 27 yard field goal. What a season. I keep telling myself that it is a process. Painful.

Painful is right.
PurpleOut
Staff
MasterAxe said:

I didn't get to watch. Can someone recap what happened at the end of regulation and in OT?

Had 1st and goal at the 6 to win it in regulation and settled for a FG.

Had 1st and goal at the 2 and again settled for a FG, that we missed. ACU missed theirs as well.

ACU scores in 2OT and we couldn't get a first down on our possession and lost.
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

Had 1st and goal at the 6 to win it in regulation and settled for a FG.

Had 1st and goal at the 2 and again settled for a FG, that we missed. ACU missed theirs as well.

ACU scores in 2OT and we couldn't get a first down on our possession and lost.

Well, crap. Just can't close. We're close.
BigJack85
I think Trae Self could be a really good quarterback if he gets just a little better run blocking. Couple of the play calls looked like coaching foibles to me.
sfajack05
The Jacks will get there. I think we or at least I want them to get there sooner. The staff is building something special and I can't wait to see it all come together.

As far as the quality of the ESPN broadcast SFA is lucky because at least our production crew knows what the hell they are doing. I'd be embarrassed if our home games looked like that.
SFASawmillGuy
Trae Self is gonna be straight up a beast one day. Just a sophomore now so he's got potential to be not just one of the best in the conference but the best in the FCS.
Right now he has accuracy and footwork issues, both of which need to be coached in the offseason. But he's got an outstanding arm. Quick release. And incredibly athletic and allusive.
His stats this season are really skewed due to a lot of drops to go along with his sometimes bad passes but he's honestly a lot better than his stats have shown.
I agree. Once the line comes together and can give that man some time to throw, we're gonna have a potent passing game.

As far as the play calling goes, I don't like it right now but I get their mentality. If our young players had the experience and were developed enough this offense would be great to grind teams down and put together long drives, something Carthel was well known for at the D2 level and honestly something that wins championships. Alabama does it. NDSU does it. Carthel's staff is trying to get us to do it. We just aren't quite there yet.

I'd like to see the aggressive play calling we had on our last touchdown drive, but I get that they want us to grind teams down.
Jacks4460
Best news I have heard in a long long time.. We will get Pace back on a medical RS.. Our guys are fighters and we will get this thing rolling forward I have no doubt..
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.