WEEK 8: ABILENE CHRISTIAN

18,566 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jacks4460
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacks4460 said:

Best news I have heard in a long long time.. We will get Pace back on a medical RS.. Our guys are fighters and we will get this thing rolling forward I have no doubt..

Personally I think it's a bad choice by Pace.

But as a Lumberjack fan F*** YES MOTHERF***ERS!!!!
Jacks4460
SFA_03 said:

Jacks4460 said:

Best news I have heard in a long long time.. We will get Pace back on a medical RS.. Our guys are fighters and we will get this thing rolling forward I have no doubt..

With him coming back.. He was one of the players that got the Sh*&&y advice and now this will help him get his degree and with a year to get ready for next season he could be a possible 4-5 rd draft pick with a great final season.. Plus he can get his degree and no one can take that from him...
TallTexan
I'll be excited to have him back. He was setup for an explosive season.

Need to reward him with a competent offense next year, which I think we will have.
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

As far as the quality of the ESPN broadcast SFA is lucky because at least our production crew knows what the hell they are doing. I'd be embarrassed if our home games looked like that.

I'd ask Ivey to just do a radio broadcast if our home games broadcast looked like that.

But not everyone can be us.
MasterAxe
Everyone complaining about the broadcast.

You know, you don't have to watch. Just listen to radio, or turn volume down.
BigJack85
We are lucky. We actually have a real Radio TV crew that puts together decent broadcasts. Not many SLC schools have the quality of Radio TV programs we have.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Rob Meyers does an excellent job announcing. Informed, intelligent, balanced.
BigJack85
I've been a vocal critic of Lumberjack Football.... but I am seeing real light at the end of this tunnel. It looks like we could string together a win or two , maybe three to close the season. Southeastern looks like a chore but McNeese and NW State both look get able. Maybe we can close strong and have a springboard to 2020.
ACUCattitude
You talk about your bi-polar offense. It was a bi-polar game. Great job by SFA special teams burying the Cats in their own end in the 4th quarter. Self is quite an athletic QB. Needs some OLine help for sure and a receiver or two. Same for ACU.
The Jacks are very far ahead of where ACU was in Dorrel's first year. You are going to be a force to be reckoned with starting next year.
Sorry about the TV feed. We have a new multi million dollar TV studio and ESPN lets us produce the programming. Much of it is done with student interns and I'm afraid it shows.
ACUCattitude
Good luck the rest of the way. Lady Luck owes you a couple of wins down the stretch.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I've been a vocal critic of Lumberjack Football.... but I am seeing real light at the end of this tunnel. It looks like we could string together a win or two , maybe three to close the season. Southeastern looks like a chore but McNeese and NW State both look get able. Maybe we can close strong and have a springboard to 2020.
This is an assessment that I agree with. This season, really starting in May, has been a wild ride.

The coaches certainly deserve their share of this loss, but some much more knowledgeable than me have pointed out meaningful execution errors by some of the young players that caused the plays to fail. It is a process.
SFAJack_76

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

With him coming back.. He was one of the players that got the Sh*&&y advice and now this will help him get his degree and with a year to get ready for next season he could be a possible 4-5 rd draft pick with a great final season.. Plus he can get his degree and no one can take that from him...
Might the NCAA have influence on whether or not he gets to call this a redshirt season? I hope not, but the academic issues created by the previous administration are not completely resolved. Obviously he got cleared to play, but the NCAA .... you know. Look what they did to UMHB.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Certainly agree that players on the field must execute plays to get the wanted results. That said coaches need to be aware of the situations and give this young team every opportunity to succeed.
My examples would be...!st and goal from inside the 1 yard line in the first OT...we send in Arnold but go shotgun and an empty backfield. Well if ACU has looked at any film they all know that Arnold is going to try and sneak it in. He didn't get close....how about taking the snap under center for one and maybe McGowen in the backfield to block or take the ball.
On another 3rd and goal from the 6 we try and sweep Adams...right into about 4 ACU guys.
Going back to the SUU game we gave up a chance to win in regulation b y running most of the clock out on 3 straight rushing plays. Agree that players would have had to execute plays to get a win but they weren't given plays that might have moved us downfield to get put in that position.

I still fully believe that Carthel and his staff will have us on top of the conference soon (2021 I'm saying) and yes we have many young guys etc, but that's one of the things we armchair QBs do is question moves when things don't work out for us. When your 1-6 there is plenty of work for everyone associated with the team to do and when one thinks how close we were to maybe 3-4 with a couple of OT games it's a bit more painful.
BigJack85
It's painful. I'm just hoping the pain results in some gain and,,, for once SFA (I'm talking BOR, Fans and Students) get behind the team with everything. Fans showing up. Some updates to venerable Homer Bryce Maybe a little scheduling versatility. By scheduling versatility I mean let's get outside of our standard non-conference formula. One Big Sky school. Either Tech, TCU or Baylor One D2 opponent. Could we go Ohio Valley, Southern Conference or perhaps one of those strange east coast conferences ... say Northeast or Big South.
Jacks4460
76 he will get what they call a Medical Redshirt.. He only played in one game this year and is done for the year... He will be a game changer next year... Just like 88 from Tarleton... Pace will be a man amongst boys...
TallTexan
ACUCattitude said:

Sorry about the TV feed. We have a new multi million dollar TV studio and ESPN lets us produce the programming. Much of it is done with student interns and I'm afraid it shows.
Not to beat a deadhorse, but a lot of it is the angles. I'd bet most FCS teams have a student crew.

Westlake HS has a decent crew of HS students. I think they just need a bit of training & better camera positioning.
TallTexan
I'm with you 85, I'd love to rethink our schedule.

I think I'd prefer this:

Week 1: D2 at home
Week 2: OOC FCS rivalry game(let's get something going with Grambling or Texas Southern or UTEP(i know, FBS, but lets be real))
Week 3: FBS Paycheck game

Enough FBS teams are playing Week 3 FCS games(or Week 10/11 like SEC) that we ought to be able to move ours from the front end of the schedule. If we get to winning, I'd prefer to ditch the FBS paycheck game completely & get another regular home & home scheduled with an FCS contender.

For the week 2 game, let's find an out of conference foe who we can schedule an interschool challenge with(all sports).
TallTexan
Is there a chance we could get a home game against an FBS opponent? Like maybe a 2 for 1 to get to play Rice in Nac?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Is there a chance we could get a home game against an FBS opponent? Like maybe a 2 for 1 to get to play Rice in Nac?

Doubt that EVER happens. Only time I've seen it was Idaho as they stepped down from 1A.

I've been told that FBS squads want that "tune up" game (us) the first game of the season. Just like some of us would like to see a D2 tune up game first. Hard to schedule.
TallTexan
I just can't see that teams like UTEP, UTSA, or Rice could really have so much pull as FBS bottom dwellers that we can't work out ome sort of deal.

And I just counted, 20+ FCS vs FBS matchups in week 3, 25+ in week 2, plus the 10 or so SEC games in November.

I think there's an opportunity for Ivey to get a non week 1 game for a pay day.
BigJack85
It can and has been done , by us no less! Just saying it ain't like putting a quarter pound of hamburger with hamburger helper and "poof" there's a meal.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

!st and goal from inside the 1 yard line in the first OT...we send in Arnold but go shotgun and an empty backfield. Well if ACU has looked at any film they all know that Arnold is going to try and sneak it in. He didn't get close....how about taking the snap under center for one and maybe McGowen in the backfield to block or take the ball.

My thoughts exactly on that play! A dumb play call.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

You know I've tried to find examples of that and thought it would be a really cool idea. If we hosted an FBS opponent we would no doubt have a sold out crowd.

Unfortunately I think the only FCS teams that has any chance at all of hosting an FBS team is NDSU, Montana, or maybe JMU.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

I think I'd prefer this:

Week 2: OOC FCS rivalry game(let's get something going with Grambling or Texas Southern or UTEP(i know, FBS, but lets be real))

Enough FBS teams are playing Week 3 FCS games(or Week 10/11 like SEC) that we ought to be able to move ours from the front end of the schedule. If we get to winning, I'd prefer to ditch the FBS paycheck game completely & get another regular home & home scheduled with an FCS contender.

For the week 2 game, let's find an out of conference foe who we can schedule an interschool challenge with(all sports).

I think the FBS game should remain the first game of the season. It is what it is, but I'd rather get any injuries out of the way early. I'd say our QB got hurt against Baylor and we had to miss them for our D2 game, oh well. We SHOULD(SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD) be able to easily win that game with a backup QB.

But if we lose key players the week before conference, that's where we get in trouble.

I like our current setup of FBS, D2, FCS. It gives 2 games where a lot of players will see the field and get some experience, and 1 game to get ready for division 1 opponents, potentially getting us a quality win that can help us get to the playoffs.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

I think I'd prefer this:

I have a bit different schedule in mind:

Wk 1 - Win
Wk 2 - Win
Wk 3 - Win
Wk 4 - Win
Wk 5 - Win
Wk 6 - Win
Wk 7 - Win
Wk 8 - Win
Wk 9 - Win
Wk 10 - Win
Wk 11 - Win
nacluth
MasterAxe for President! A winning platform.
TallTexan
I'd like to announce my candidacy to challenge MasterAxe for President. I'm going to simplify our O and D to 2 plays.

On O we'll run the Touchdown play and on D we'll play turnover coverage.

MasterAxe's ideas are good, but I have the detailed plans needed to make it possible.
MasterAxe
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

I think I'd prefer this:

I have a bit different schedule in mind:

Wk 1 - Win
Wk 2 - Win
Wk 3 - Win
Wk 4 - Win
Wk 5 - Win
Wk 6 - Win
Wk 7 - Win
Wk 8 - Win
Wk 9 - Win
Wk 10 - Win
Wk 11 - Win

allow me to update...

Wk 1 or 2 or 3 - Fat Paycheck & Win.
Jacks4460
We are gonna get #1 back next year along with Cox and Nichols... Def will be so much improved with these three health... Coach thinks Cox can be the best DL in the SLC... Shaw will be back on offense..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.