2019 Schedule

23,888 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I honestly have no idea. The excitement over Carthel is great and a good sign, but we have no idea how all of these new players will perform, how many of the older players will still be here by the fall, etc. The schedule definitely doesn't help.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I'm setting the inaugural over/under score for 2019 Football at 3.5 wins. Who's taking what? Congratulations and well wishes to those who get it right. Abuse and derision for those who blow it.

Wait a minute... Has the bad experience of the just-completed MBB season made Nacluth go negative on football?? We need to bring the Texan in here to get you back onboard the SFA Positivity Train.
SFAJack_76
A different look at the schedule. Not is it only four home games, it is only three FCS home games. Not inspiring.
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

I'm setting the inaugural over/under score for 2019 Football at 3.5 wins. Who's taking what? Congratulations and well wishes to those who get it right. Abuse and derision for those who blow it.
Ok, I'll take the over. Tarleton, UIW, ACU, and NSU, because I've been hit in the head with a shovel for my optimism. But 4 homes games? That's so disappointing, and I can't make one of them, so that's 3 for me. NSU on Thursday night is still a puzzler other than they are trying to get it in before Thanksgiving break. As a four year season ticket holder, it will be interesting to see how season ticket prices are since it will be one less game this year. I'm betting they will be same if not a small increase. (We had 5 games last year but Tarleton state rained out and nothing was done for season ticket holders - I don't mean a refund, but maybe a nice letter of thanks and sorry or here's a free GA ticket to another SFA sporting event this year).
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
BigJack85
I'm going 5.5 Unlike other situations (MBB) I'm very optimistic. Could go higher than 5. Shocked if we win 7. I'm guessing 6 wins is a realistic outcome on the high side
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Wait a minute... Has the bad experience of the just-completed MBB season made Nacluth go negative on football?? We need to bring the Texan in here to get you back onboard the SFA Positivity Train.

Sorry, can't do it. He used his "Be Grumpy for Free" card and per the fine print, I'm not allowed to try to cheer him up.

It's part of his moderator compensation package. The good news is, he only gets one per year so it's pie in the sky optimism from here on out.
nacluth
Y'all have got in wrong, I'm very optimistic, but I'm optimistic for the whole league. I don't think we're going to make huge strides in the win column but I do expect big strides overall. 2020 season I expect great things.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I'll take the over. 15-0.
MasterAxe
I was probably too critical of Kyle Keller in his first year, so I will try not to be for Carthel.

For me, its not so much "How many did we win," as opposed to "How do we look?"

Do we look prepared? Well coached? Do we give max effort? Do we execute? Do we make stupid penalties? Are we blowing assignments? Can we tackle?

Things like that, that seemingly got away from us last year.

I just want competitive improvement and if that leads to 2 wins or 5 wins or 9 wins, then so be it.

That being said, teams like UIW and Lamar have made fairly quick progress under new coaches, so I'd like to see us do something similar. But, I don't need the playoffs for me to say "That was a success," rather, some real improvement across the board.

I'm ok with a 4 win or 5 win campaign, if it looks like we know what the hell we are doing.

SFAJack_76
Ditto.
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

I was probably too critical of Kyle Keller in his first year, so I will try not to be for Carthel.

Do we look prepared? Well coached? Do we give max effort? Do we execute? Do we make stupid penalties? Are we blowing assignments? Can we tackle?

I just want competitive improvement and if that leads to 2 wins or 5 wins or 9 wins, then so be it.

That being said, teams like UIW and Lamar have made fairly quick progress under new coaches, so I'd like to see us do something similar. But, I don't need the playoffs for me to say "That was a success," rather, some real improvement across the board.

I'm ok with a 4 win or 5 win campaign, if it looks like we know what the hell we are doing.

With the #1 recruitment class and #3 in the nation, if we don't double our wins from last year I'll be disappointed. I know 'on paper' means nothing, and I'm not saying championship or bust, or even .500 - but I think 4 wins should be well within expectations and that should come with competitive improvement. And, I remain encouraged as I continue to read on the Sawmill that Keller is making moves to climb back into the Southland Race.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
BigJack85
RedRiverLa said:

MasterAxe said:

With the #1 recruitment class and #3 in the nation, if we don't double our wins from last year I'll be disappointed. I know 'on paper' means nothing, and I'm not saying championship or bust, or even .500 - but I think 4 wins should be well within expectations and that should come with competitive improvement. And, I remain encouraged as I continue to read on the Sawmill that Keller is making moves to climb back into the Southland Race.

I look at UIW last year. They were 1-10 in 2017. With a solid coach they added 5 wins. I'm not saying we add 5 wins but 3? 4? I guess 4 at least. There's so much turnover in FCS football rosters that we can make a small leap in one season. Do we win 7. Highly unlikely. Could we win 6? It's a slight possibility. Carthel wants to be coaching FBS in three years. He better get hopping.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFASawmillGuy
A .500 season is the realistic goal. Obviously the team wants to be playing in the postseason, but it's incredibly hard for a new head coach to do that in year 1. A .500 season and I think we're on the right track to being where we want to be.
drhuggybear
When do season tickets go on sale?
Pilotgirl
Posted this under the general section bc it's fundraising...can't remember where we talked about the tailgating but it ties into this...
drhuggybear
Ordered my season tickets today. Sad to say its only 4 games but looking forward to this new season.
TallTexan
Idk why, but only having 4 home games kind of bums me out. Guess we'll have to make the playoffs & get home-field advantage to make up for it.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Idk why, but only having 4 home games kind of bums me out. Guess we'll have to make the playoffs & get home-field advantage to make up for it.

We gotta make it at least 2 rounds deep though. That first round being during thanksgiving sucks.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

We gotta make it at least 2 rounds deep though. That first round being during thanksgiving sucks.
Fine, if you insist.
drhuggybear
I was honestly very disappointed to see only 4 home games. Not sure why that would be. I get Baylor being an away game but the conference schedule should be more balanced. Not only is it tough on the fans but it's tough on the student athletes.
TallTexan
If I had to guess, they're counting BOTPW as a home game for us this year. Just a guess.

Really wish we'd get that game back on campus.
TallTexan
Slightly off topic, but has anybody seen attendance numbers for the 2018 season?
SFASawmillGuy
Just checked. The 2018 ncaa attendance averages hasn't been released yet.

I just averaged our home attendance though to be 5297. Our absolute worst home attendance in years. Then again it was our worst season in years.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Completely agree huggy that only 4 home games is disappointing and tough but my hope is as Carthel rebuilds and turns this program around having maybe 6 home games in his 2nd season would give us quite an advantage and boost next season.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

I just averaged our home attendance though to be 5297. Our absolute worst home attendance in years. Then again it was our worst season in years.

Is that gate or tickets sold? That's an absolutely massive drop from 2017.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

Is that gate or tickets sold? That's an absolutely massive drop from 2017.

Gate I believe. Yeah we only had 4 home games in total too though.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
drhuggybear
Got our season tickets in the mail today. The envelope wasn't that thick ... I guess 4 games will do that .

I'm honestly surprised they were just "normal" looking tickets. I was thinking season tickets would be a little more polished. Oh well. It is what it is.

Way too long to wait to use them. Sigh
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98
I just started using PlutoTV so I am set for Southern Utah. Directv Now (now called ATT TV now) does not give me access to ESPN3 as of last March. I guess I will need to decide when I want to pay for ESPN+ again this year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I just started using PlutoTV so I am set for Southern Utah.

For anyone not familiar with Pluto TV, the Pluto TV app can be downloaded from your favorite app store (it's on Android. Not sure about iPhone). If you have a Roku player, the app can also be added to their lineup for viewing on your TV. Pluto TV provides a basket of TV channels (also movies and TV shows) and all are free. Pluto may be available on other players besides Roku, but I don't know about that.
PurpleOut
Staff
I think ESPN+ is totally worth it, for college football and basketball at the minimum. For crazy people like me, there's a lot of lower level English soccer games on there, MLS etc. And you can deactivate/reactivate whenever, so I didn't pay from May-August.

But, keep an eye out for more info on the new Disney package. In November they are supposed to launch a $12.99/mo service that includes Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-06/disney-fires-shot-at-netflix-with-13-a-month-streaming-bundle
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

I think ESPN+ is totally worth it, for college football and basketball at the minimum. For crazy people like me, there's a lot of lower level English soccer games on there, MLS etc. And you can deactivate/reactivate whenever, so I didn't pay from May-August.

But, keep an eye out for more info on the new Disney package. In November they are supposed to launch a $12.99/mo service that includes Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-06/disney-fires-shot-at-netflix-with-13-a-month-streaming-bundle

I agree it's worth it for what you get in total, but I just really hope the quality of the SFA broadcasts get better. When this deal with ESPN first started and even at the end of SFA All-Access era our broadcasts were top notch. Even if we had small crowds we got good enough audio that it still sounded loud, and we even had sideline reporters and shots.

Now we only have what seems to be the bare minimum when it comes to camera angles and the audio has been absolutely abysmal in all of our sports for a while.

Anyway. Rant over on that topic.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I got signed up for the Alumni Association fan bus to Waco. They must have 40 people to sign up for the bus or it'll be a No Go. I'm pretty sure that you don't have to be an alumni member to sign up.

The fan bus package includes snacks and drinks on the bus, the tailgate at the game (bbq brisket), and a game ticket. Bus leaves Nac at 12:30 pm and returns at midnight. Cost is $80, which isn't bad. Deadline to sign up is August 23.

Come on, guys! Get signed up. We need 40 on that bus to make it happen. Contact the Alumni Association at 936-468-3407 or alumni@sfasu.edu.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.