Can we search for New HC during suspension?

22,240 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
HitSomeBody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very good reply. I know Art and he lost his way in the world of multi million dollar facility upgrades and in order to win bringing on kids with talent but no character. I think he learned from his mistakes; however, the mistakes impacted so many people that can never be made right for them. The consequences will be to never coach again.

Maybe if he were younger and had time then in some future year he could have a second chance and at a place that does not have all the money and pressures to win at all costs. Instead, a place to just coach and win games and do it right. But he is 61 and even though he has a football mind, he is done.
nacluth
I've heard that the people that know him like him, but it will be tough to disassociate himself from this mess in the future. He might have luck as an outside contractor - where he could supply teams with advice or plays or schemes. Something where he could be an asset just not on the official payroll. But, my guess is that that may just not be what he wants to do with his life.
beaubrad46
Briles should never be allowed to coach again. What he did was almost as nefarious as what Sandusky did. He knowingly and negligently allowed horrible things to happen. I have no sympathy for him and actually think that he got off to easily. Will we ever know what Conque did or didn't do? I'm certainly not at this point drawing any comparisons
Jacks4460
beaubrad46 said:

He should never be allowed to coach again. What he did was almost as nefarious as what Sandusky did. He knowingly and negligently allowed horrible things to happen. I have no sympathy for him and actually think that he got off to easily.
I feel the same buddy.. No way does he need to be a coach again.
Jacks4460
HitSomeBody said:

Speaking from inside the team, there is a lot of relief from the players that Conque is out. They truly like and respect the interim coach Bryd. They want to play for him. I was told the assistants preach there is nothing they (the players) can control about Conque, what they can control is to work hard, prepare to win games for the students and alumni and for them as a team. They are starting to believe they can with Bryd.
Thank you so much for this info HitSomeBody... If the boys feel like this then I bet we suprise alot of folks.. We have the talent just need to stay healthy at QB and OL. It is the vibe from the team that I was wanting to hear... When you respect a coach it sure makes going to work alot easier plus we have some good NFL connections with Kaiser so the kids are gonna want to show what they can do... Thanks again sir..
beaubrad46
So is Conque officially gone? Did he resign? Did he pack up and leave?
nacluth
Technically still suspended, but it doesn't seem like he's returning.
HitSomeBody
Coach Conque is suspended. I know if he comes back it will hurt the team. The players cannot respect him after what he did and they are moving on. There are some players that are gripping (but not about Conque). They are gripping because the assistants have picked up the work effort and keep pressing to win you have to work harder than the rest. Most of the players are buying into it and really putting in the time and work. There are a few negative left but they will come around.

The assistants told the team yesterday that because of the teams extra effort in all areas they are letting them off on Friday and not have to be back until the 5th. A direct quote, "y'all have handled everything like men and have picked up your effort so your reward is time off with you family for the 4th. Keep lifting, make good social decisions, and do not do ANY extra activities like basketball."

Therefore, even if the school let's Conque come back, it will only turn downhill.
Jacks4460
Those Kats that arent on board need to leave and free up a scholly... I bet some of the ones upset are Conque favorites and now things are at an even playing field they are acting out... Once they realize its all about the team and not them then things will get easier for them to jump on board..I see alot of these JUCO guys are probally coming in and setting the work ethic/attitude...
TallTexan
HitSomeBody said:

. Keep lifting, make good social decisions, and do not do ANY extra activities like basketball."
Looking at you Foster!
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

HitSomeBody said:

. Keep lifting, make good social decisions, and do not do ANY extra activities like basketball."
Looking at you Foster!

You leave the bionic QB alone!!!
beaubrad46
HitSomeBody, What exactly did Conque do?
HitSomeBody
It will all come out after the investigation. I am glad to hear the players are being pushed to work harder. Some of the older guys are even stepping up and leading which is also good to hear. If I were to asses the team at this point the team will only be better than expected and with Conque gone we may see some surprises on the scoreboard this year.

I think we all agree that changes needed to happen (even with Conque still at the helm), but now a change was forced and instead of disarray the assistants have pulled the team tighter together. So, this change can be good.
Jacks4460
Thank you so very much for the reports.. If those asst coaches have the upper class men leading drills then that is the best thing I have heard in a long time... A successful team always has leadership and that's what it sounds like is happening..
Jacks4460
Along with owning their team..
HitSomeBody
My son came home for the 4th of July break. Got to talk to him in detail and it's obvious that all the players LOVE coach Byrd. He even has an extra pep in his step and his energy and enthusiasm level rises when he talks about coach Byrd.

So I can report that the team is getting ready to play and play for coach Byrd. They respect him because he respects the players. My son mentioned several times that Conque did not respect anyone and everyone was very relieved to see him walk away.

Could have a similar situation brewing like when LSU got rid of Les. They won games but still lost the important ones. Hopefully we will see wins and win the important one too.
SFA Jack Fanatic
HitSomeBody said:

My son came home for the 4th of July break. Got to talk to him in detail and it's obvious that all the players LOVE coach Byrd. He even has an extra pep in his step and his energy and enthusiasm level rises when he talks about coach Byrd.

So I can report that the team is getting ready to play and play for coach Byrd. They respect him because he respects the players. My son mentioned several times that Conque did not respect anyone and everyone was very relieved to see him walk away.

Could have a similar situation brewing like when LSU got rid of Les. They won games but still lost the important ones. Hopefully we will see wins and win the important one too.
Good to hear!!! Hopefully, that will translate into a win or two more than expected this year.
SFASawmillGuy
We want bama
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

We want bama

Somebody thought they were on the basketball thread.
beaubrad46
Lol!
OldSchool
Hearing a lot of good things about interim coach and sounds like he will do a good job picking up the pieces and getting us on back on the field.
He has to know it will be an up hill battle, but we have to get behind him and our kids a get past this.

The new AD will can now start the search above board and find the best head coach for our struggling program.
Going to stay on the high road and attempt not to look back with last hire and know its has to get better.
beaubrad46
Meanwhile. What in the world did Conque do to get suspended? Come on fellows. At least give me a hint. Was it similar to something that he did at UCA?
BigJack85
I heard rumors that it was similar to UCA. There's really no telling. Once it plays out a freedom of information request might get us an answer.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
beaubrad46
I haven't seen his name in the divorce notices in the local paper. Lol! Thanks BigJack85.
SFASawmillGuy
Before we start dragging Clint's name through the mud let's figure out what he's done. I'm with everyone else that it's clear he's gonna be fired. But maybe his violation wasn't as bad as we think.
This may very well have cost us 2 or 3 wins for the 2018 season, but I still don't think we should bury him until we know more.
TallTexan
I'm just ready for a final decision from the university so we can move forward.

Looks like Ivey is gonna have a full season to woo Traylor.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Before we start dragging Clint's name through the mud
It's really none of our dadgum business what he'd done. Innocent until proven guilty, even in the court of public opinion. Just focus on the team and the season.
beaubrad46
It may not be our "dad-gum" business but it surely is our "gosh-darn" business. Stephen F Austin is a state school and let it be known that I haven't accused him of anything. I don't wish harm to come to anyone even though I think that he has been a disaster to our program from the start.
BigJack85
beaubrad46 said:

Of course it's our business. Stephen F Austin is a state school and let it be known that I haven't accused him of anything. I don't wish harm to come to anyone even though I think that he has been a disaster to our program from the start.

Agreed Beau. And..... it wouldn't be as big of an issue if there wasn't historical data.....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
beaubrad46
If he has harmed or hurt someone at our university we deserve to know. Besides, we are taxpayers. The university has been known to sweep public information under the rug in several investigations in the past. I don't like that.
nacluth
It may or may not be appropriate to know depending on the circumstances, but it's definitely not appropriate to know if there is an investigation and nothing has been substantiated. There will be a closure at some point. Preferably soon for everyone involved. I'm sure as soon as they cross their legal i's and dot their t's, we'll hear something from administration. If it never happens, then I'm sure the people who know will make it known.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA88
nacluth said:

I'm sure as soon as they cross their legal i's and dot their t's, we'll hear something from administration.
Say what? lol

You have a funny way of writing.
beaubrad46
I'm not sure that we will. But I did get info that I won't reveal from someone who works in the athletic department who I also cannot reveal. SFA has never been forthcoming with what they discover in their investigations though. We will all hear it from the rumors but probably not from SFA.
TallTexan
SFA88 said:

nacluth said:

I'm sure as soon as they cross their legal i's and dot their t's, we'll hear something from administration.
Say what? lol

You have a funny way of writing.
He also has a degree from one of them schools up north, they might not write the way we do.
beaubrad46
No they would likely say "one of those" instead of "one of them". They talk funny too. Lol! Do you mean he went to school in Dallas? That's way North? They don't realize that we southerners are always grammatically correct.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.