Can we search for New HC during suspension?

22,044 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
HitSomeBody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So.... With Conque suspended, can we look for a new head coach? Or is there some rule that keeps us locked in until the investigation is complete. Seems like a good time to make a change but just wondering if that would cause a fiscal nightmare for the school. Any ideas?
BigJack85
There will be a new HC. If university policy was violated SFA will have limited liability on his contract. My guesss is that he is gone before the end of June.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
HitSomeBody said:

So.... With Conque suspended, can we look for a new head coach? Or is there some rule that keeps us locked in until the investigation is complete. Seems like a good time to make a change but just wondering if that would cause a fiscal nightmare for the school. Any ideas?
Very few coaches are hired in June, especially by schools SFA's size. Best bet, find an interim & find your guy in season so you can pull the trigger in December.

I doubt much will happen until the internal investigation is complete. We'll see then if we'll need a new HC.
TallTexan
Paging Jeff Traylor, Jeff Traylor, there's a call for you on line 1.
HitSomeBody
I'm sure there has already been a discussion on a list of potential HCs. If, so point me to that discussion. In the meantime, for sake of discussion what is a list of 5 coaches we would hopefully look at?
TallTexan
This would be my list.

1. Jeff Traylor
2. Mack Brown/Les Miles- Both have said they're interested in coaching again, would they do it for 500k though?
3. Texas A&M Commerce HC
4. Jeff Traylor's brother at Tyler Lee
5. One of North Dakota's Coordinators.
hit harder
TallTexan said:

This would be my list.

1. Jeff Traylor
2. Mack Brown/Les Miles- Both have said they're interested in coaching again, would they do it for 500k though?
3. Texas A&M Commerce HC
4. Jeff Traylor's brother at Tyler Lee
5. One of North Dakota's Coordinators.

Les has had opportunities to interview at multiple G5 schools and turned them down (except for Houston). No way would he accept an FCS gig.

There is one name SFA should beg to be included. The guy has been an offensive coordinator in the Pac 12, the ACC, the Sun Belt, Conference USA, and the former Big East. He has been the OC at two different FBS schools which rose to #2 in the rankings including one which was a G5. He has coached in the NFL. He has also coached in the SEC and Mountain West as a position coach. Further, he has been an interim head coach two different times at the FBS level, both times resulting in a better W/L record than the previous head coach he took over for. This decade, he has coached for more than five years in Texas at the FBS level. He is also currently coaching at an FBS in Texas. He would take the job. Due to the quality of person/coach he is, he would be able to quickly assemble a staff of guys who have spent many years coaching in Texas.

SFA Jack Fanatic
hit harder said:

There is one name SFA should beg to be included. The guy has been an offensive coordinator in the Pac 12, the ACC, the Sun Belt, Conference USA, and the former Big East. He has been the OC at two different FBS schools which rose to #2 in the rankings including one which was a G5. He has coached in the NFL. He has also coached in the SEC and Mountain West as a position coach. Further, he has been an interim head coach two different times at the FBS level, both times resulting in a better W/L record than the previous head coach he took over for. This decade, he has coached for more than five years in Texas at the FBS level. He is also currently coaching at an FBS in Texas. He would take the job. Due to the quality of person/coach he is, he would be able to quickly assemble a staff of guys who have spent many years coaching in Texas.

And that would be???????
TallTexan
Who would that be?

And I know Les turned down plenty of opportunities, but he's not gonna get a ton of chances if he truly wants to coach at this point. Still a longshot either way.
Jacks4460
1. Kevin Atkinson HC/AD Flower Mound Marcus HS(Former Jack player,SFA Homecoming King) will bring the THSC back to SFA.. Offensive guru and can lead a team and the Alumni would love him..

2. Jeff Traylor(Dont think we can pay him enough and he would want a serious facility upgrade)

3. Colby Carthel Texas A&M Commerce

TallTexan
Traylor actually doesn't make that much at Arkansas. He makes 370k base, but not sure if he's got any incentives as AHC/RB coach.

I'd think for 450k, we might be able to land him if we pitch it right. Since he's not a coordinator, he's likely not about to make a big jump to a big HC job.
TallTexan
Also, for the record, Ivey hired Carthel at TAMU-Commerce.
Jacks4460
I am sorry I thought he was in the 500-600 range at Arkansas... He would be a good one to get... I know he would get back to the Lynn Graves and Coach Pearce days of locking down East Tx in recruiting.. From the Golden Triangle to Texarkanna lock them down..
sfajack05
I'd definitely be ok with Traylor coming to Nacogdoches.

RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

Who would that be?

And I know Les turned down plenty of opportunities, but he's not gonna get a ton of chances if he truly wants to coach at this point. Still a longshot either way.
Miles is still getting paid handsomly by LSU, so it's not a money thing - it's a lack of offers - I don't think it's that far of a stretch to think he would take the opportunity. Again, LSU is still paying him $3.5 million a year - and that will be for another couple of years. (The LSU AD should be fired for that one)
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
For the record, Miles deal only has an offset clause I believe, so he'd still make 3.2 mill or so from LSU while we paid him 300k. Take a look at Charlie Strong and companies USF deal to see how to take advantage of a Big School's deal.

Miles would be worth his weight in gold from a fundraising & publicity standpoint.

hit harder
RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

Who would that be?

Miles is still getting paid handsomly by LSU, so it's not a money thing - it's a lack of offers - I don't think it's that far of a stretch to think he would take the opportunity. Again, LSU is still paying him $3.5 million a year - and that will be for another couple of years. (The LSU AD should be fired for that one)

Christ, this board is delusional. You're right, it has absolutely nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with pride and accomplishments.

The guy isn't hurting for opportunity. He won a national championship and had a very respectable record in the SEC. There are plenty of G5 openings every year that would be interested in him. He hasn't reciprocated that interest because he is above those things. Strong was far less successful at Texas than Miles was at LSU, yet Strong received one of the best G5 opportunities. Miles deserves just as much and won't accept less.

To think he would accept any FCS offer, let alone a mid-level one, is more than a stretch. It's absurdly asinine.
SFA Jack Fanatic
hit harder said:

Christ, this board is delusional. You're right, it has absolutely nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with pride and accomplishments.

The guy isn't hurting for opportunity. He won a national championship and had a very respectable record in the SEC. There are plenty of G5 openings every year that would be interested in him. He hasn't reciprocated that interest because he is above those things. Strong was far less successful at Texas than Miles was at LSU, yet Strong received one of the best G5 opportunities. Miles deserves just as much and won't accept less.

To think he would accept any FCS offer, let alone a mid-level one, is more than a stretch. It's absurdly asinine.

Geezz... Calm down, man. It's just people expressing their opinions. You have yours. They have theirs. Immediately criticizing others is not a good way to start posting on here.
Lumber98
So is consensus conque is gone for sure? What did he do?
RedRiverLa
hit harder said:

RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

Who would that be?

That's just an incorrect characterization of Miles, But you have to follow LSU to really understand the situation. He's far from being a wanted man at a high level. That he is still watching from the stands has nothing to do with pride and accomplishement. The mad hatter has had few suitors and that's not because he is declining offers. The FCS has its share of 'successful' FBS coaches, I don't think Miles will ever appear at SFA but to say he's above those things isn't even what Miles has recently indicated. Oh, and welcome to the sawmill forums, Les.
Lumberjack Battalion
tangerito
I hope everyone will get on board with the interim coach. Give Byrd a chance. I believe he has the respect and loyalty of the players which goes a long way. Not so sure Clint had that. I hope we are pleasantly surprised with the job Coach Byrd will do.
Jacks4460
If Coach Byrd does have the respect and loyalty of the players then that says alot... Because it is one of the most important things when coaching a team...Thanks for that insight tangerito...
Txjack
tangerito said:

I hope everyone will get on board with the interim coach. Give Byrd a chance. I believe he has the respect and loyalty of the players which goes a long way. Not so sure Clint had that. I hope we are pleasantly surprised with the job Coach Byrd will do.
Ditto. Having no inside info and only from an observation standpoint, I wandered about this (Conque/respect of the players) as well...idk, in a unique situation like this and being June, I think your best off with sticking with the guy that is familiar and has some experience. My chant is give Byrd a chance as well.
beaubrad46
We have no choice but to give him a chance but rumor has it that Homer Bryce has rolled over in his grave and that his statue is crying real tears.
hit harder
RedRiverLa said:

hit harder said:

RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

Who would that be?

That's just an incorrect characterization of Miles, But you have to follow LSU to really understand the situation. He's far from being a wanted man at a high level. That he is still watching from the stands has nothing to do with pride and accomplishement. The mad hatter has had few suitors and that's not because he is declining offers. The FCS has its share of 'successful' FBS coaches, I don't think Miles will ever appear at SFA but to say he's above those things isn't even what Miles has recently indicated. Oh, and welcome to the sawmill forums, Les.

The only incorrect characterization is you using a straw man with my post. I never said he was "a wanted man at a high level." What I did say was that he turned down opportunities (not offers, opportunities to discuss) at G5 schools, so the belief that he would be interested in an average FCS is comically bad.

And nothing he has said could be interpreted to give any indication that he isn't above SFA.
Jacks4460
Bring back coach Graves to mentor this coaching staff!! Hell he is living in Carthage.. He will light a fire under them I know that..
beaubrad46
Coach Graves is well past his prime. He was fired for a reason and has retired for a reason.
nacluth
I'm sure you can fire someone under investigation, but there would be a financial compensation that would have to be made if the investigation didn't turn up actionable offenses. Sounds like SFA is just getting their ducks in a row, and from what I've heard, it looks pretty much done. But, smarter to let the process play out than be overly proactive. Suspension is effective enough to make a statement.

I'm for riding with Byrd for the season and making the position as attractive as possible for a new coach to come in and implement his system with a full offseason.
RedRiverLa
hit harder said:

RedRiverLa said:

hit harder said:

RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

Who would that be?

The only incorrect characterization is you using a straw man with my post. I never said he was "a wanted man at a high level." What I did say was that he turned down opportunities (not offers, opportunities to discuss) at G5 schools, so the belief that he would be interested in an average FCS is comically bad.

And nothing he has said could be interpreted to give any indication that he isn't above SFA.
Ok, have a great day!
Lumberjack Battalion
Jacks4460
beaubrad46 said:

Coach Graves is well past his prime. He was fired for a reason and has retired for a reason.

I know I was trying to be funny.. I love that man tho..He couldn't deal with today's kids..
OldSchool
Conque is gone and wont be returning to the team He fired himself.

Not going to start finger pointing or blaming SFA folks who brought him in. Its done and we cant go back and fix it.
The problem is it has our program in the lower tier of the conference and could take 3-5 seasons to get back on track working our way back in the top of conference.

Been seeing some folks throw out some names of coaches who should be considered for job. My list is very short, Curtis Luper .

Curtis played at SFA when we were in the top tier consistently. Witnessed what it takes to build a team by recruiting the right kids, then developing them to play at a very high level. He has been coaching for awhile at a very high level at Oklahoma St and now TCU. He has the contacts around the state with the top level HS coaches and know where those top athletes are.

Now that Conque is gone and SFA goes out looking for those kids they can see change is coming and give them a reason to come to our program.
TallTexan
I was hoping they hired Luper when they went with Conque.

That said, this time my first call would be Jeff Traylor. The dude is a beast on the recruiting trail & knows all the East Texas HS coaches. He could definitely elevate the program.
HitSomeBody
Traylor seems like a first call. I did all the reading I could find on him and he 'on paper' seems to be a coach that would boost the program.

Speaking from inside the team, there is a lot of relief from the players that Conque is out. They truly like and respect the interim coach Bryd. They want to play for him. I was told the assistants preach there is nothing they (the players) can control about Conque, what they can control is to work hard, prepare to win games for the students and alumni and for them as a team. They are starting to believe they can with Bryd. So, I am going to support him through this season and if it works out for him great, if they call Traylor then great too. Best thing I see is a change is being made.

Now, for the sake that Bryd, Traylor, or any others on the list are not interested after this year. I would like to throw out a name Art Briles. Not suggesting him to start bashing either we all have seen the bad. Just wondering if it could work because the guy can produce a high octane offense.
TallTexan
HitSomeBody said:

Now, for the sake that Bryd, Traylor, or any others on the list are not interested after this year. I would like to throw out a name Art Briles. Not suggesting him to start bashing either we all have seen the bad. Just wondering if it could work because the guy can produce a high octane offense.
I think the bad decisions & the program he ran at Baylor would disqualify him from holding a position at SFA. I wouldn't touch any coach off that staff. The Board of Regents of Baylor asked for an oral report because that way it would be harder to be the subject of any FOIA or subpoena. They had a lot to hide & I personally would not want him at our school.

Offensively, the man is a football genius, but he will forever be stained by the decisions he made that enabled the culture of the Baylor football program & brought many young men to campus who caused physical harm to other students, all the while helping cover it up and keep them on the team. I'd rather never win another football game than have him leading the program.
nacluth
Eight women allegedly assaulted by three football players, two of which were convicted of one assault a piece while the third is still waiting on if a case will be brought. Other correlated allegations against the football and athletics department. Also clear indication that the team including Briles helped to keep those players playing with possible truly horrible implications of cover up. Not only are not all the criminal charges not fully set aside, but we are a long way from the statute of limitations running out on civil cases brought against the perpetrators, Baylor, or Coach Briles. To me nothing would seem to trigger a case like that like Briles getting another D1 head coaching job. What school would like their new head coach having to face a civil case over fostering rape culture at their school? No Texas teams are hiring him soon.

It's been pointed out on many threads that there would be little support among fans or donors here at SFA for his consideration despite his records.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.