Soccer

15,690 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ReeJo919
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ha! Is this a commentary on how much soccer you watch or your love for US women winning the World Cup?
Pilotgirl
We DOMINATED! Congrats to our amazing women.

Let's see if the guys can finish the job. I think it will be a tougher task for them.
nacluth
Well US played their best Gold Cup game and still lost. Oh well. Now for a bunch of WC qualifiers.
BigJack85
They USMNT looked better than they have in a while. Frankly 3 great opportunities that should have been cashed in early.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
At least we can count on our women to totally dominate! 4 of 8 WC belongs to USA. That's crazy awesome.
SFAJack_76
Yes it is.
PurpleOut
Staff
I forgot he was a Liverpool fan.

PurpleOut
Staff
Story I have to mention, that I don't think many Americans are following.

There are a few small clubs over in England that have been, or are being run into the ground by their owners. Two clubs in particular, Bury FC and Bolton Wanderers were facing expulsion from the EFL (English Football League) and had a deadline yesterday to prove they were financial able to keep the club running, or to sell the club.

Bury FC is run by a man named Steven Dale, who bought the club a few years ago for 1 pound (yes just one) and has been refusing offers to sell the club to keep them up. He has been on record several times saying that he doesn't care and isn't even a football (soccer) fan, and he hasn't been paying the players.

Yesterday the deadline passed. Bolton was given a 14-day extension, but Bury was not and was officially expelled from the league. The first team to be expelled since 1919. A club that has been in operation for 134 years. A small town that literally depends on the club for money, let a lone the history of growing up there and going to games. I don't have any ties to them, but it's absolutely gutting to see all of their fans in such a sad situation. How the EFL and everyone involved can let this happen is shocking.

nacluth
Terrible. I love the way the EFL is set up to give such importance to all the small clubs that have the opportunity to grow, but this is the extreme negative side. Hopefully there's an opportunity with their expulsion to strip the club from this guy and see if a benefactor can bring it back in the near future.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah I don't know enough about what happens now (i.e. getting back into the league). But I saw a few tweets about someone that wants to still purchase the club and reopen. Surely there's a way to get owners like this away doing more harm.
SFAJack_76
What a shame. It sounds like it is a more serious situation than just one rogue owner.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2019/aug/28/bury-expelled-from-efl-after-125-years-updates-and-reaction-live
PurpleOut
Staff
Definitely a ton of issues throughout the European soccer leagues. A lot of corrupt officials.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm watching Lincoln City (League One, level 3) at home to Everton in the Carabao Cup. One of my goals down the road is to take a 2-week trip to England and go to a bunch of random games. Big games/stadiums of course, but love seeing the grounds of these small clubs:

SFAJack_76
Norwich 3 Man City 2

Who saw that coming? Not me.
PurpleOut
Staff
One of the biggest upsets in a long time.

If you have NBCSports, check out the "Promoted" series. They go through the different clubs that just got promoted to the PL and their journey to get back up.
PurpleOut
Staff
One of my favorite aspects of soccer is that there's almost no offseason. Champions League play started today.
BigJack85
Agreed. My son is a HUGE Liverpool fan. I always enjoy hearing all the multi-league (club) interaction.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Agreed. My son is a HUGE Liverpool fan. I always enjoy hearing all the multi-league (club) interaction.
Guessing your son is not happy after the match today then.
PurpleOut
Staff
Just because I need another place to vent. Tottenham sacked Maurico Pochettino today.

Devastating. Saddening. Infuriating. All of the above. Such a terrible decision, he absolutely loved the club and took them to new heights. How could they do this?

SFAJack_76
Damn the last four seasons, what have you done today. Ridiculous.
PurpleOut
Staff
US Soccer Federation ended their Development Academy yesterday, while the MLS announced they are creating their own youth league.

Astonishing that we have a federation that is so inept in this area. Hopefully letting the clubs have control of the youth development will be better.
nacluth
Ultimately this will be better if we ever want to move to the more profitable European style system. A generation and a half of the American school system hasn't really got us closer systemically. We have some great standout players but not a whole structure.
PurpleOut
Staff
Agreed.

The USSF as a whole has been a dumpster fire.
ReeJo919
there has to be a viable competitor to the private soccer system in US so club academies where u do not have to pay to play will be the right way to go. US soccer that relied on poor high school soccer coaching in order to get players into slightly better college systems saw almost zero drafted players make it to europe which improve our world cup odds on sportsbetting3.com. as soon as they opened academies the quality was so much better europe immediately saw it and came after players. the terrible coaching in schools lead to this crazy price (call it investment) to play at 'clubs' which are just privately ripping people off. i understand cost of living and coaching full time needs a good salary but some private clubs are too management heavy because they know the high school system sucks so hard.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.