Soccer

15,540 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ReeJo919
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Any soccer fans here now?

We had a pretty decent LJF thread going. List your clubs!

I've been a big Tottenham supporter for a while now. And now that I live in Seattle I've really gotten into the Sounders, so the MLS Cup run was fun to be apart of.

nacluth
I used to play with Clint's older brother Ryan in local youth soccer. He was really good- I always thought naturally better than Clint. I think life got in the way of his professional career.

I follow Seattle and FC Dallas. My brother is a big Man City fan, so I hear about that too. Of course like every good American I keep track of the national team. I still haven't figured out why we're back with Arena though.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

I used to play with Clint's older brother Ryan in local youth soccer. He was really good- I always thought naturally better than Clint. I think life got in the way of his professional career.

I follow Seattle and FC Dallas. My brother is a big Man City fan, so I hear about that too. Of course like every good American I keep track of the national team. I still haven't figured out why we're back with Arena though.
Yeah not sure either. I'm willing to give him a shot because I couldn't take much more of Klinsmann.

Tell your brother I said "nice point" this past weekend.
INiedrauer
Staff
I'm probably a future soccer fan. Whatever major city I live in next, I imagine I'll be a regular, but MLS just isn't a league I can get into via televsion.
PurpleOut
Staff
It's getting better, but yeah, the level of play is significantly lower than most leagues. They're doing a good job of bringing in more well known international players.

Side note, Dempsey was cleared for full practice today.
PurpleOut
Staff
CLINT DEMPSEY IS BACK!

nacluth
Hat trick for the home boy! What a great game. That was the kind of game we wish we could get once in a World Cup.
PurpleOut
Staff
Bid committee requested interest today from 49 stadiums in the US, Canada and Mexico for the 2026 World Cup. Including Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

They're requiring stadiums have a minimum of 40,000 seats, yet 5 of the 9 stadiums in Canada are under 40k. Thanks for help Canada.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/08/15/15/11/20170815-news-wc2026-united-bid-committee-commences-outreach-for-potential-host-cities
PurpleOut
Staff
USMNT just eliminated from the World Cup. I'm literally speechless. This is one of the most embarrassing things as a sports fan that I've ever witnessed.
PurpleForever
PurpleOut said:

USMNT just eliminated from the World Cup. I'm literally speechless. This is one of the most embarrassing things as a sports fan that I've ever witnessed.

The worst part in my opinion is wasting four years of probably the most talented soccer player USA has ever had. Today's loss was embarrassing, should never happen.
TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

I'm probably a future soccer fan. Whatever major city I live in next, I imagine I'll be a regular, but MLS just isn't a league I can get into via televsion.
I've tried and tried to like soccer. Still hasn't worked except during the world cup. I hear you have to watch in person to really get hooked. I'll have to try that next time I live in a major city that actually has MLS soccer. For some reason, ATX/San Antonio don't.
nacluth
So disappointing! All that had to happen is not let all three of the bottom half of the hex win, and we're in. But nope, we lay a big fat turd in the Caribbean. It's been such a downer of a qualifying season. I really think that the US team just thought they were shoo ins.

Goodbye Dempsey, Beasley, Bedoya, Bradley, Howard. It's time for this season to go. Maybe we'll go after a top notch coach like Ancelotti or a winning Champions league manager.

Guess I won't have to pay for TV next summer. I'll just pretend we're making an honorable boycott of Russia.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
Agreed, I feel bad for Pulisic. We wouldn't have been even CLOSE to qualifying without him.

Also feel bad for Dempsey, while our younger players are the guys we need to be focusing on, Clint was still arguably one of our best scoring threats. He changed the matches coming off the bench. Sucks he won't get another shot at the WC, and may not even get a shot to break the scoring record.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Since I don't have a dog in the World Cup hunt, I must show support for the home team of my all time favorite Serbian basketball player. Serbia picks up a big three points with a 1-0 win in their first match against Costa Rica.

BigJack85
Grujic. The true soccer fans (and Lumberjacks) ALSO stood and praised our Serbian brothers!!!!!!!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm pulling for England.

Also, if you missed it, Donovan created a pretty big mess on Twitter over the weekend.

Sorry, you can't pay me to ask my friends to root for Sam Houston.
PurpleOut
Staff
Haven't updated this thread in a long time.

But my goodness, if you missed the last leg from each of the semi-final Champions League matches, you missed arguably the best two comebacks in the history of the sport. Simply incredible football and I still can't believe what my Spurs did yesterday.

GLORY GLORY TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR!

SFAJack_76
Those were two of the most amazing matches I have ever seen. I suspect the odds of there being a Tottenham vs Liverpool final were really high. That combined with the EPL going down to Championship Sunday ... crazy.
BigJack85
Most Sawmillers are not soccer fans... I am and if you tuned in to Germany vs. Sweden that is how the game is supposed to be played IMHO.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Most Sawmillers are not soccer fans... I am and if you tuned in to Germany vs. Sweden that is how the game is supposed to be played IMHO.
I agree. I think both are playing better than either France or US played yesterday.
nacluth
I'll check back in if we can beat Curacao. (Apparently the website doesn't support the French "cs" : .
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I agree. I think both are playing better than either France or US played yesterday.

Disappointed to see that Germany lost. I lived in Germany for 3 years 1972-1975 which is when I REALLY learned how to play the beautiful game. Jacobsen for the Swedes was a real game changer. She has the same power and speed that Rapenoe has.
Pilotgirl
NRG stadium is hosting the Gold Cup today. Mexico vs Costa Rica was tonight & V is working with ticketing recently. She said this game was SOLD OUT!!
Pilotgirl
And they are into Penalties. Bet that stadium is pandemonium right now & will be if Mexico wins!
Pilotgirl
And Mexico wins in penalties 5 to 4.
Pilotgirl
V just texted and said all he** would have broke lose if Mexico lost! She was able to leave about an hour ago.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

V just texted and said all he** would have broke lose if Mexico lost! She was able to leave about an hour ago.
I am sure that was an amazing experience.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
Real Madrid vs FC Bayern will be at NRG on July 20th. V recommends calling NRG box office directly for tickets.
PurpleOut
Staff
Sitting through a Mexico match is anything but an amazing experience. Some of the worst sports fans out there. Passionate, but that doesn't mean they have to throw trash at the players every match.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Sitting through a Mexico match is anything but an amazing experience. Some of the worst sports fans out there. Passionate, but that doesn't mean they have to throw trash at the players every match.
Unless he is just being polite, it sounds like Crittenden had a better experience.
BigJack85
Again I find myself watching a Women's World Cup game (Sweden vs Netherlands) and wishing that the USMNT could learn a little tactically about transition from your own 3rd of the pitch. Both Sweden and The Netherlands use open space as well as any men's squad in the world.
nacluth
Huzzah to the women!!!
BigJack85
Go USMNT. Love the women but we have to get back on top of CONCACAF for starters. Ranked 30th in the world is not my idea of competitive. With the wins in the Gold Cup we should move up a few spots. A victory over Mexico would move us up to 20-25.

Go USA
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Huzzah to the women!!!

Best Soccer game I've watched this year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.