Austin FC

3,304 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut will be glad to hear that Austin will be home to the 27th MLS franchise in 2021.
TallTexan
Was kinda hoping San Antonio would get it.
nacluth
Me too. I've gone to watch San Antonio FC play, and they have a nice stadium.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Austin/San Antonio have a large number of soccer fans.

But Austin just doesn't have great sports fans in general IMO. Leaving early, not showing up, etc.

San Antonio on the other hand seems great. We were in town one weekend and the spurs had an away game that night and the streets were covered with people in their spurs gear at 10am.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah I've been following, we'll see how it goes. I think it's great for the city, there seems to be some real energy about it with the fans. I agree in general about Austin people as fans, but they (I guess I'm not saying "we" anymore since I live in Dallas now) have never had a professional team to actually be apart of. The Austin area has exploded as far as soccer interest, always one of the top cities for viewing of the World Cup.

Everyone thought the MLS in Atlanta was a terrible idea, and look at them. Easily the best atmosphere and biggest crowds ever for soccer in the United States (not to mention winning). Not saying Austin will be like that, because it won't, but I could easily see Austin FC having a strong following like a similar city in Portland. And I think it will easily outgrow what Dallas FC is.

I don't care for the logo and everything. The green is fine because there aren't many MLS teams with green, but the tree and everything else that has been created just doesn't scream legit football club to me. I half jokingly wanted the team to be called Austin Villa (as in Aston Villa in England). I'm in full support however, I think it's great for Austin and if it can be even close to what Portland has grown in to...then it'd be a huge success for the MLS and United States in general. These songs however, yikes:

TallTexan
Austin is the only place I've ever been where I met more people who grew up playing soccer than any other sport.

I think it'll be good for Austin, and glad they're putting it near the domain. That's a good location for it.

I'd have preferred SATX, but honestly, in a decade, both could probably support teams.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.