NIT Tournament Experimental Rules Changes for 2018

3,440 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nsubroski
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hopefully we'll be at the Big Dance and won't be affected by this...

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-02-27/experimental-rules-be-used-nit
nacluth
"The experimental rules will help determine if a marginally more difficult three-point shot will be effective for men's college basketball, and if widening the lane will reduce physicality and create more driving opportunities. In addition, the number of possessions and any impact on the pace and flow of the game will be evaluated."

I can understand widening the lane affecting free throw rebounds, but someone explain how widening the lane will create more driving opportunities. It's just paint on the floor. They don't have to play wider defense.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

"The experimental rules will help determine if a marginally more difficult three-point shot will be effective for men's college basketball, and if widening the lane will reduce physicality and create more driving opportunities. In addition, the number of possessions and any impact on the pace and flow of the game will be evaluated."

I can understand widening the lane affecting free throw rebounds, but someone explain how widening the lane will create more driving opportunities. It's just paint on the floor. They don't have to play wider defense.
I assume because it will cause the big men on offense to have to move farther out of the lane to avoid 3-second lane violations and draw their defenders out with them (in theory, at least).
TallTexan
I'm not a fan of the push for Quarters instead of halves.
cboothe09
I don't like the offensive rebound rule. Seems to confusing during gameplay
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

I don't like the offensive rebound rule. Seems to confusing during gameplay
Yes I was curious how you would implement that.
nacluth
Just means the time clock operator has another button to worry about. We know how good he is with his one button now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Just means the time clock operator has another button to worry about. We know how good he is with his one button now.
Prison Tech grads, obviously.
nsubroski
I like how they push the pace of play and then go to quarters and an automatic double bonus after 5 fours in a quarter. Both of which will slow the pace of play.

I really hate the joke they're making out of this tournament I know it doesn't mean anything for the bigger schools, but it is still important for the mid-majors that make it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.