New potential transfer rules

4,808 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Gazette1
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Definitely needs it's own thread.

I'm 50/50 on this. I agree a kid should be able to leave if it's not working out or needs another chance, but this could be very chaotic. We're already more and more kids transferring, this just opens it up more. And could have a huge impact on the Mid-Major programs losing their best players.

On the other hand, it gives the same programs to get players from high-major schools that are looking for more playing time. It goes both ways, but I'm afraid we would see more kids leaving hoping for a better opportunity at a bigger program. We'll see.
nacluth
Who it's going to hurt are the SFA's and Gonzaga's. Who it's going to help are the Lamar's and Texas St's.

Strong midmajor programs are going to have their best talent recruited away while the wannabe programs can offer the non-playing high major talent starting roles. This happens now, but it's hard to give up a year of eligibility to make the switch. Especially hard for someone like Kevon who is BMOC to let a year slide. But, if K-St says you can be a starter next year in the Big 12. Tough choice.

I'm for college athletes to have more say, but don't believe for a minute that this has anything to do with Student Athletes rights. This is 100% protecting High Major conferences. In every sport (yes even football) the gap between midmajor and high major is shrinking. It is a few years from being nonexistent in basketball. Baseball is essentially there.

The Power conferences in control of the money do not want to see football money slip out of the top conferences. The big boys know they will have an outlet to lose their bad recruits or spoiled players who want more time AND glean the best talent from the midmajor field. It's a joke.

Players get on average scholarships close to 25K/year and have a lot of control where they play. The argument that this benefits students personal power is a shell game distraction. This in my estimation will be twice as dangerous to the kids because they won't have the time to make up their minds. Just an easier commodity for the business side to use up and spit out.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Look at Jalen Harris. The kid is a stud. Had a strong nonconference and for whatever reason, now wants more. He can shop himself around to better schools while taking the year penalty. He chose to better himself. In the same way Cam Mack did in another direction. Transfers happen at a high rate, but not so high they decimate programs. Just slow them down. If it were easier...

Just imagine the SLC with no Howard, Kevon, Thibodeaux. Roddy Peters would be the exception, but proves the point that a wannabe program can take a huge jump with a small change in talent in the B-ball world.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I'm for college athletes to have more say, but don't believe for a minute that this has anything to do with Student Athletes rights. This is 100% protecting High Major conferences.
Absolutely RIGHT ON!! If the High Majors were against this it wouldn't even be discussed at the NCAA. They control the NCAA.
BigJack85
Sounds like absolute chaos. All the young guys that get there feelings hurt looking for a new home.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
sfa17
This really will only hurt mid major school. I don't like this one bit. When was the last team we got a player who transfered from a unversity. The closest I can think of is Gilmore but he went to creight and transferred to juco.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfa17 said:

This really will only hurt mid major school. I don't like this one bit. When was the last team we got a player who transfered from a unversity. The closest I can think of is Gilmore but he went to creight and transferred to juco.
That really hasn't been our style though, until now with Keller (which I'm for). But there are plenty of kids that transfer down for a better playing opportunity, which is why I'm 50/50 on it. It will come down to each program on how they want to proceed in getting the guys that may want to transfer to a smaller program for playing time.

I just think there's going to be more of the better mid-major guys going up, than good high-major backups coming down. But we'll see. There's also supposed to be academic standards in place for transfer to go through.
TallTexan
I actually have the contrarian opinion that this is going to help us more than hurt us.

Kevon is a stud. TJ knows every trick in the book to play his position.

But look at how many mid-major players transfer to high majors now & see legitimate playing time. Look at how many mid-major all-stars are drafted & make it in the NBA. It's a surprisingly low number on both counts, which would suggest that maybe a mid-major star isn't quite ready to play with the athletic freaks who dominate the High Majors.

Sure, we'll lose an athlete occasionally, but I think at that point, culture will become even more important. I think we'll attract a lot more former high major players who might have gone the JUCO route instead. It could be a boon for us.

Look at it this way, this rule essentially already exists in FBS/FCS football, & how many players have we ever seen transfer up?
nacluth
I don't think it will hurt football much. It will hurt basketball where one player makes a sizable difference to a team. If you have to worry about someone recruiting your best player in the offseason, that is a huge sink in resources to keep a difference maker around.

Say we make the sweet 16 next year with Kevon being the key stud like Walkup was. UConn feels they are a piece or two away from a final four run. This becomes free agency for them. A senior with skills...you can't ask for anything better.

In football, there's no one player that's changing the game. Too many parts. If you can recruit a proven Walkup, no question you do it. High major talent does not come down to midmajor. The bust high major recruit does. At best you get someone like Roddy Peters who is good midmajor talent.

The teams it hurts are the competitive midmajor teams like Zags, Gaels, and maybe SFA. One great player stolen every two to four years would be devastating to a midmajor program.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
tangerito
I think it will be pretty bad for the mid-major programs. The big schools will look at us like the farm team where they can come pick off proven players if needed. I don't blame the kids for going for greater exposure but where were these schools when they were coming out of high school? I would think this is probably being pushed by the larger schools as it will only help them.
cboothe09
I don't think college programs have the staff's to recruit nationally at the high school and collegiate level. Too spread out...
TallTexan
I think overall we're going to be fine. But what if we could get a "home & home" transfer clause added for our players?
SFA Jack Fanatic
From ESPN's Matt S*****... Be sure to read the followup comments below the Tweet.

nacluth
Yeah this was last week. He immediately started backing off both how sure 95% was and what "soon" meant.
Gazette1
It's going to hurt the athletes more often than not. It' kind of like every kid that thinks that he's good enough to play in the NBA but very few are. There will be those who transfer and get much less playing time. They will take advantage of the kids who have unreal expectations Just to have a player that can give you a few good minutes off of the bench.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.