Southland Conference POY

4,727 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nacluth
PurpleForever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wanted to start a thread where we can make predictions on how we see the POY race turning out and talk about it throughout the season.

Our balanced attack could hurt us this year and prevent us from taking home the award. Kevon is our obvious leader to win the award but if Jordan Howard keeps scoring at this pace then I sadly see him taking home the POY. Hopefully being the best player on an undefeated team will give Kevon the needed votes.
cboothe09
Worked before when Jacob Parker took it over Jalan West.

I see a three man race right now with Kevon, Jordan Howard, and TJ being the early front runners. I wouldn't overlook Colton Weisbrod as a dark horse candidate...
nacluth
cboothe09 said:

I see a three man race right now with Kevon, Jordan Howard, and TJ being the early front runners. I wouldn't overlook Colton Weisbrod as a dark horse candidate...
I would think Josh Ibarra would round out the known contenders. Though you never know what you got until they start playing. TJ and Kevon not both making first team right now seems unlikely.
PurpleForever
After a few games into the conference schedule, what are y'all predicting the rest of the way?

Its going to be hard to take away the POY award away from Howard this year. He's averaging about ten more point/game than Kevon in conference. Kevon is shooting only 17% behind the arc in conference and thats what has really hurt him so far. The only hope he really has is for us to lock down Howard which isn't really our style, and for Kevon to start hitting 3's like he was earlier in the year.
nacluth
Yeah, Howard has to have the nod currently, but Weisbrod as Lamar's only real threat is putting up ridiculous numbers too. However, your team really has to win to get POY. That's going to hurt both of those guys through the season. I still think Kevon has a decent shot, but Keller smartly protecting players through clock management might hurt his POY chances. Let's see how he performs over this road stretch.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
It depends how you look at it. As mentioned earlier, just because you lead the league in stats doesn't mean you're the POY. If you're team isn't in the top 2-3, you probably won't win.

It's Kevon for me right now. He's the best all around player offensively and defensively in my opinion, on the best team. Roddy Peters is someone to not overlook, he can score in bunches and Nicholls is winning for now. And don't sleep on TJ, he's statistically very good in the league...and that's with him him foul trouble basically every game.

*Not to dismiss Howard, he's actually my favorite non-SFA Southland player in my time, and a ridiculous scorer.
TallTexan
Person of the year? I'm voting for Gru. That guy selflessly supports his teammates.
PurpleForever
I hope I'm wrong but I can't see us getting the bid for POY this year after Howard torched us. Our statistical balance is amazing and very impressive, but you can't pick just one person from our team to win it.
nacluth
It's about to be called for Howard no doubt. If he just cruises out with 20+ pts/game, he'll sew it up. The man's a stud. Kevon's got next.
SFA Jack Fanatic
My, how things have changed. Ever since he was a freshman performing well in the Big Dance, I have predicted that TJ would garner POY honors before he graduates. It could still happen next year, but right now he's slipped down a notch. He's still obviously a great player, but Kevon has moved ahead of him for next season, IMHO. (A great situation to have -- two POY candidates on the same team... Uh, three perhaps??? Shannon Bogues??)

This year? Howard. He's a Steph Curry clone.
nacluth
I think TJ had a shot last year being THE man on the team, but it was too hard to be consistent. This year, I think he's even better, but we're too balanced. Kevon has a shot if he balls out from this point, but it seems like that probably won't happen.
TallTexan
PurpleForever said:

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see us getting the bid for POY this year after Howard torched us. Our statistical balance is amazing and very impressive, but you can't pick just one person from our team to win it.
From a pro SFA perspective, this should work out well for us when it comes to conference tourney & big dance. Our team has 2 or 3 studs who would be the standout star of any other team.
nacluth
Exactly. If Kevon, Bogues or TJ were on any other team, their stats would be stacked, and give them a good shot at POY. However, on our team they will just have to content themselves with being the baddest team around and take down some big dogs in the tourney.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
It's pretty rare (with a minimal glance at the POY list) that a winner is from a team outside the Top 4. The last POY that wasn't from the conference championship team was Patrick Richard from McNeese in 2012 (finished 10-6).

Jordan Howard may get it by default if none of the teams at the top can separate from the rest, and someone like Kevon can't keep pace on stats.
nacluth
Agreed. I think Howard though is a essentially winning a lifetime achievement award. If no one dominates the second half, he's going to get it for sheer star power. I don't see UCA melting the rest of the way. .500 will get him the award as long as no one just explodes. But someone could....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.