NCAA Finances

6,959 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
230 Schools

1.) Texas A&M - Total Revenue - $194,388,450 - Total Expenses - $137,101,774 Allocated - 0%
2.) Texas - Total Revenue - $187,981,158 - Total Expenses - $171,394,287 - Allocated - 0%
42.) Texas Tech - Total Revenue - $82,996,321 - Total Expenses - $78,598,577 - Allocated - 7.01%
57.) Houston - Total Revenue - $51,469,297 - Total Expenses - $52,204,566 - Allocated - 48.87%
75.) Texas State - Total Revenue - $34,698,351 - Total Expenses - $31,268,882 - Allocated - 72.20%
80.) North Texas - Total Revenue - $33,278,988 - Total Expenses - $34,155,537 - Allocated - 60.87%
81.) UTEP - Total Revenue - $32,709,050 - Total Expenses - $32,510,383 - Allocated - 55.68%
106.) UTSA - Total Revenue - $27,426,009 - Total Expenses - $26,443,958 - Allocated - 55.99%
129.) Sam Houston State - Total Revenue - $21,427,230 - Total Expenses - $19,466,699 - Allocated - 64.18%
139.) Lamar - Total Revenue - $18,052,997 - Total Expenses - $17,736,198 - Allocated - 77.35%
144.) Stephen F. Austin - Total Revenue - $17,793,162 - Total Expenses - $17,641,059 - Allocated - 81.94%
174.) UTRGV - Total Revenue - $14,070,803 - Total Expenses - $12,680,880 - Allocated - 87.84%
185.) UT Arlington - Total Revenue - $13,075,708 - Total Expenses - $12,951,655 - Allocated - 75.45%
196.) Texas A&M CC - Total Revenue - $12,075,557 - Total Expenses - $11,402,190 - Allocated - 81.18%
201.) Prairie View A&M - Total Revenue - $11,893,886 - Total Expenses - $11,490,986 - Allocated - 78.55%
208.) Texas Southern - Total Revenue - $10,899,527 - Total Expenses - $10,899,527 - Allocated - 82.22%

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

144.) Stephen F. Austin - Total Revenue - $17,793,162 - Total Expenses - $17,641,059 - Allocated - 81.94%

Please define the term 'allocated' as used here.
BigJack85
I've looked at this in detail.... allocated is school funds contributed. This is very very very fuzzy math. None,,,, i repeat none of the FCS schools with the exception of North Dakota State and Montana have the fan base to provide much $$$ to the bottom line. FCS schools fund most of there athletic budgets with two mechanisms -

1) Student fee(s) - IE the one that failed last spring.
2) University Funds

My guess is that SFA, Sammie, Lamar and McNeese lead the pack in ticket sales, donations and rights. A couple of interested parties got together a couple of years ago and guessed (deductive reasoning) that SFA generated about $1.7 - $2.0 million in ticket sales, guarantees (SMU game), rights, merchandise and donations.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
James Madison over $36 M in students fees.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAXE93 said:

James Madison over $36 M in students fees.
SFAXE93
Robert "Rob" and Tyann Akins Clubhouse (Named after 1958 SFA Alumnus and football letterman Robert Akins, who is also a high school baseball coach and member of the Texas High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame)

- Almost half of the funds needed have been secured. ($320,000 still needed)
- Selling $1,000 engraved bricks or any donation amount
- Facility will provide dressing and training rooms, office, and storage space
- Upgraded amenities to help attract the best student-athletes to SFA

donate at

sfasu.edu/give
BigJack85
Is this the baseball clubhouse?
SFAXE93
Yes

TallTexan
So of our revenue number, does the allocated portion mean 75-80% of that number is from the schools contribution?
SFA88
TallTexan said:

So of our revenue number, does the allocated portion mean 75-80% of that number is from the schools contribution?
For the most part, yes. There could be state money in there.

Total Allocated: The sum of student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money allocated to the athletics department, minus certain funds the department transferred back to the school. The transfer amount cannot exceed the sum of student fees and direct institutional support that the department receives from the school. (Under NCAA reporting rules, any additional money transferred to the school cannot be considered part of the department's annual operating revenues or expenses.)

The NCAA and others consider student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money "allocated," or everything not generated by the department's athletics functions.

Percent allocated: Percent of revenues from allocated sources.

Here is the methodology with some definitions. Methodology
TallTexan
Thanks!

Looking through the overall list, we're not as far from lower tier FBS schools as I thought. I think there are some interesting case studies there for SFA as a whole.

A few peers we should use for comparison:
Arkansas State
New Mexico
Wyoming
Delaware
Utah State
Central Michigan

Those are schools that are easily within reach in terms of competing on the field and provide good revenue goals for SFA. All similarly sized and most aren't located in huge metro areas. Some of those state schools have 2 million in population in the entire state. There are 2 million people in the East Texas area and we're the only D1 school for 100 miles in almost any direction. We could tap into East Texas to compete and raise ourselves up to the FBS level with some hard work and commitment.

We have 5-7 years to get it together in all sports, because when the Grant of Rights start expiring for the big conferences, all hell will break loose. There could be an excellent opportunity for a great basketball school like SFA with a good football team to make the jump to FBS. Let's make sure that's us and not Sam or Lamar.

TallTexan
Speaking of sports as the best marketing, my wife was talking with a corporate recruiter this week from Minnesota. He asked where she went to school, and when she said SFA, he was like oh they've been in the NCAA tourney the last few years, I love watching them play bigger teams.

Nothing raises the awareness of the university like the basketball team.
BigJack85
Tall Texan. That's awesome. I had an oddly similar experience. I was in Chicago for some corporate meetings. Got asked where I went to school by some 30 ish kid. I told him Stephen F Austin. He said "that's the school with that kid with a beard". "Really good basketball team".
PurpleOut
Staff
100% agree, have had several similar experiences here in Seattle (as well as with new clients across the country). The basketball program can and will do more for the university than maybe anything else. I wish our students and overall university would recognize this.
SDLJ
The SFA name is getting a lot of recognition here in San Diego. It maybe because of the win over VCU a few years back during the NCAA tourney (I was there). We are definitely close to being competitive with the aforementioned schools.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

100% agree, have had several similar experiences here in Seattle (as well as with new clients across the country). The basketball program can and will do more for the university than maybe anything else. I wish our students and overall university would recognize this.
Amen to that. Heck, I wouldn't even spend money on advertising outside of just giving it to the basketball program.
SFA88
Same thing happens to me in Phoenix. I have always been surprised when I run into someone that knows where Nacogdoches and Stephen F. Austin are (its more than you may think) but those recent NCAA appearances have raised the profile a great deal. Now, even the ones that don't know where it is have at least heard of it. It's always the same, "Oh yeah, I've heard of that school. They have a good basketball team down there".
SFA88
PurpleOut said:

The mods need a star to click on too.
SFAXE93
This is why we have to keep the basketball program going at this level. The window always slowly closes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.