Preseason

4,148 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Street & Smith 2017 out with their rankings

1. SHSU
2. NDSU
3. JMU
4. SDSU
5. JSU
6. RICHMOND
7. VILLANOVA
8. WEBER ST
9. WOFFORD
10. EWU
11. ILL ST
12. CITADEL
13. CSU
14. UND
15. GRAMBLING
16. UCA
17. YSU
18. UTC
19. ALBANY
20. SAMFORD
21. TENN ST
22. NC CENTRAL
23. MCNEESE
24. LEHIGH
25. SAN DIEGO

Athlon

1. NDSU
2. JMU
3. SDSU
4. SHSU
5. UND
6. EWU
7. RICHMOND
8. VILLANOVA
9. JSU
10. WOFFORD
11. UNH
12. LEHIGH
13. UNI
14. YSU
15. UTC
16. CSU
17. UCA
18. SAMFORD
19. WIU
20. ALBANY
21. FORDHAM
22. CP
23. LIBERTY
24. MCNEESE
25. CITADEL

All-AMERICA
QB JEREMIAH BRISCOE, SHSU
RB CHASE EDMONDS, FORDHAM
RB ELIJAH IBITOKUN-HANKS, ALBANY
FB JOE PROTHEROE, CAL POLY
WR JUSTIN WATSON, PENN
WR JAKE WIENEKE, SDSU
TE DALLAS GOEDERT, SDSU
C JACOB OHNESORGE, SDSU
OL JUSTIN LEA, JSU
OL BRANDON PARKER, NCAT
OL TIMON PARRIS, STONY BROOK
OL AARON STINNIE, JMU

DL PAT AFRIYIE, COLGATE
DL ANTHONY ELLIS, CSU
DL PJ HALL, SHSU
DL DARIUS JACKSON, JSU
LB NICK DELUCA, NDSU
LB DARIUS LEONARD, SCSU
LB BRETT TAYLOR, WIU
DB MARLON BRIDGES, JSU
DB TRE DEMPSEY, NDSU
DB COLE REYES, UND
DB ROB ROLLE, VILLANOVA

K LANE CLARK, TSU
P IAN BERRYMAN, WCU
KR JOHN SANTIAGO, UND
PR KHRIS GARDIN, NCAT
SFA Jack Fanatic
Thanks for the update.

We may not have the weapons or depth to beat Prison Tech this year (Ouch, it hurt to even say that!), but the games vs. UCA and McNeese should definitely be winnable. Axe 'em!
SFAXE93
We always give the Cowboys fits.
SFAXE93
JUCO OL Ronald Ollie has been granted a release from Nicholls State. No details
cboothe09
Liked the kid a lot on Last Chance U. Wonder what happened there...
TallTexan
What would it take for SFA to get to the level of SHSU? Are we lacking in recruiting? Coaching? Facilities?

Is Huntsville really a better destination for college football?

Looking through the NCAA finances for schools, we're not much behind them in spending, and if our football team was at the SHSU level, we'd be a serious candidate to move up into the FBS tier. That would be amazing for visibility and prestige, but we'll likely have to do more than just be good at basketball.
PurpleOut
Staff
Winning cures all.

Sam's facilities are on par with ours for football (their new stadium renovation will be nice, but not a huge impact overall). Weight room is basically the same. Maybe slightly ahead overall for facilities when you count the baseball stadium. That is the only thing that I like better (not counting Homer Bryce in general).

But, our football facilities need major upgrading all around. The students not passing the athletic fee was a huge blow for the future of our department. We will continue to win, but it will remain to be difficult to recruit the top talent when everyone else is passing us in facilities.
TallTexan
That's an excellent point on facilities. I wonder if it would be possible to run some outside funding campaigns to help raise the cash for different things. Having a list of potential improvements and costs makes it easier to visualize than simply we need to raise more money. I think there are plent of

With a dream budget, I'd do these things:
  • Remove the track and bring in the bleachers.
  • Add overhands or giant awnings. Nice ones. Not as expensive as the Seahawks, but enough to cover some of the seating. It's freaking hot in Texas in the fall.
  • Build a track/soccer specific stadium. Will a soccer field fit inside a standard track?
  • Move Softball/Baseball on Campus.
  • Replace the front and side of WRJ with a better facade. More glass, less brick.
  • Turn the field house at Homer Bryce into a 3-4 story mix of field house, athletes gym, and classrooms/offices. That way you can have an appealing, somewhat imposing structure, and make use of precious campus space.

Overall though, I just wish we had more buy in from the students and alums. I've met Alums who've never come back for a game. We're not a small university when compared with others outside the state of Texas. With the right buy in, we could compete on higher levels in so many sports.
PurpleOut
Staff
That's one issue though, in that there is rarely (if ever) a public list or option that needs to be funded. Other than for the baseball stadium/current Jaycees upgrades, I don't think I've seen anything publicly stating that we needed funding.

I never get contacted via email or mail from the athletic department about anything (tickets, donations, etc). ****, I get more correspondence and requests from Texas State from the ONE football game I went to a few years ago. My opinion on Homer Bryce is well documented enough think.

I'd like to see them add some permanent seating to the current soccer field. Once the intramural field, I think they've done a good job to transform that into a good soccer environment. But, permanent sections and better bleachers with possibly a better press box would go a long ways. Sam actually has a nice facility that can be used in a ton of ways for outdoor sports:

TallTexan
Exactly. Phone Jacks calls me every now and again to ask if I want to donate to the business school, but I don't know that I've ever heard from the athletic department either(outside of social media, SFA own that).

I also went to UT, and I get hit up by every organization I was a part of, the alumni association, the business school, the athletic department regularly. They announce fundraising goals and also the campus master plan and athletics facilities plan are atleast available online.

If we just had a master plan, or a known fundraising goal, I think it would be a great start. Hard to get excited about raising money when you don't know what it's for or how much. Or even if the campaign exists.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.