Potential FCS to FBS Transition Fee Changes

537 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The NCAA Division 1 Council introduced a legislative proposal that would increase the fee for a school to transition from FCS to FBS from $5,000 to $5,000,000. The fee would be reassessed regularly. If adopted, the change would take effect immediately. The potential change sends the message that FBS wants its subdivision harder to get into, as many of them believe the FBS is too big already. Schools currently transitioning, such as Prison Tech, would not be affected.

Another proposal would eliminate existing attendance requirements at FBS schools. The attendance requirement could be replaced with a scholarship requirement.

In addition, schools would also be required to offer at least 210 scholarships each year, amounting to no less than $6,000,000 in athletics scholarships offered.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The NCAA Division 1 Council introduced a legislative proposal that would increase the fee for a school to transition from FCS to FBS from $5,000 to $5,000,000. The fee would be reassessed regularly. If adopted, the change would take effect immediately. The potential change sends the message that FBS wants its subdivision harder to get into, as many of them believe the FBS is too big already. Schools currently transitioning, such as Prison Tech, would not be affected.

Another proposal would eliminate existing attendance requirements at FBS schools. The attendance requirement could be replaced with a scholarship requirement.

In addition, schools would also be required to offer at least 210 scholarships each year, amounting to no less than $6,000,000 in athletics scholarships offered.

I thought I read that the "proposal" wouldn't go into place until July 1, 2027
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I thought I read that the "proposal" wouldn't go into place until July 1, 2027

There are several proposals (I didn't mention them all), but only the new FCS to FBS transition fee change proposal would go into effect immediately.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.