2023-24 WAC Basketball

17,131 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan
Great news.

Hopefully we can get more than 1 conference scheduling agreement going.
PurpleOut
Staff
This isn't technically new, they've been working on it for a while I believe. But I guess maybe they're getting closer to finalizing matchups.

I hope we matchup with someone else, and get Sam Houston separately.
SFAJack_76
Match ups are being done competitively (i.e. similar NET rankings) and with mutual open dates.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Wow, what a game between #9 Sam Houston and #8 ACU.

ACU had the lead the entire game and was up by as many as 15 in the second half.

It was 81-79 ACU with less than 9 seconds when SHSU ties it up at 81 when Woods drives in for a lay up and the foul, 2.9 seconds remaining.

Drains the free throw and and Sam wins 82-81

How about another round of the BOTPW!

March 8; 12:00 (ESPN+)
#9 Sam Houston State (13-16) vs. #1 Stephen F. Austin State (25-5)
Pilotgirl
Hey 93, I started a WAC WBB Tournament thread under the Johnson Coliseum forum if you want to post stuff there about the Ladyjacks and other wbb games in the tourney
No-look
Abilene Christian is the first to bow out.
BigJack85
No-look said:

Abilene Christian is the first to bow out.

They (ACU) have the same issue we have. You can play great defense, but eventually you have to get the ball inside.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA88
I was surprised to see GCU beat Seattle. The Redhawks had GCU's number in the regular season. Reporters like to say it is hard to beat a team 3 times but the stats don't bear that out. So now we have GCU vs. SHSU and UTU vs. UVU. Hopefully, they will be good games.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The week is not a total loss. PRISON TECH GOES DOWN IN FLAMES! 78-75 GCU.
TallTexan
Sam's best season in forever and they may not even Garner an NIT invite. You hate to see it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Sam's best season in forever and they may not even Garner an NIT invite. You hate to see it.

Nah. They'll probably get an NIT bid. But it would be beautiful if they don't.
SFA88
That Sam vs GCU game was a great game!
nacluth
Doubtful they'll get the NIT invite. CIT again for them.
SFA88
Holy cow! SUU was down by 23 to UVU and came back and won! Wish the Jack's were still playing but what a couple of exciting games today.
No-look
Are you serious? I turned it off and went to sleep!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA88 said:

Holy cow! SUU was down by 23 to UVU and came back and won! Wish the Jack's were still playing but what a couple of exciting games today.

The SUU men's and women's BB teams have to make up the luckiest university in America after miraculously pulling rabbits out of their hats this week.
Pilotgirl
Cherita Daugherty did it first! Lol
SFA88
SFA88 said:

I was surprised to see GCU beat Seattle. The Redhawks had GCU's number in the regular season. Reporters like to say it is hard to beat a team 3 times but the stats don't bear that out. So now we have GCU vs. SHSU and UTU vs. UVU. Hopefully, they will be good games.
Sheesh! that will teach me not to check the scores without my glasses. I reversed that SUU v UTU score.
No-look
I will congratulate GCU for going to the big dance but seeing a team with seven conference loses and a team we split with go makes it even harder.
nacluth
That seeding system really paid off sending the 5th seed.

Congratulations to them winnings four games this week. Really didn't think that would happen after losing their starting all-WAC point guard.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Congratulations to them winnings four games this week. Really didn't think that would happen after losing their starting all-WAC point guard.

GCU will be odds on favorite next year. SUU is losing 3 starters and one of the better 6th man/7th man in the conference. UVU is losing some important pieces

Other than GCU, I don't see a clear favorite. Any team (other than maybe UTA and UTRGV could be contenders.
SFA88
nacluth said:

Neither did I. I watch them because I can DVR their games. They certainly saved their best basketball for their final 3 games. I didn't recognize them last night.
nacluth
Last year, two #12 seeds. This year two #14 seeds.

I know there's going to be a lot of arguments over the seeding system. I know that one year isn't going to prove anything, but giving double (or triple like last year) byes are the surest way to get your top teams in.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Last year, two #12 seeds. This year two #14 seeds.

I know there's going to be a lot of arguments over the seeding system. I know that one year isn't going to prove anything, but giving double (or triple like last year) byes are the surest way to get your top teams in.
Any chance they go back to more byes with Sam and NMSU leaving?
PurpleOut
Staff
Sam did get the NIT at-large bid as the 3-seed.

But they can't host…because they're on spring break.
nacluth
They also got about as easy of a tournament draw as it gets though ironically Santa Clara will be pretty tough out of the gate.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Sam did get the NIT at-large bid as the 3-seed.

But they can't host…because they're on spring break.
The same clowns that didn't send their band, dance, or cheerleaders to Vegas. The only school there that didn't send at least one of those. I understand they didn't last year either. Also, didn't make use of the suite available to #1 seeds. SFA did for our women's games. I "hear" they don't want to spend the money.

No-look
It amazes me how Hooten can bring in the players he does. Flagg last year and the ones he brought in this year. Their facilities aren't that good and Huntsville doesn't have that much to offer
TallTexan
No-look said:

It amazes me how Hooten can bring in the players he does. Flagg last year and the ones he brought in this year. Their facilities aren't that good and Huntsville doesn't have that much to offer

He's a better coach than most give him credit for.
nacluth
Floodgates have opened on WAC transfers. I guess we'll have to see if we have any departing.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Floodgates have opened on WAC transfers. I guess we'll have to see if we have any departing.

Sure, we will have 1-3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.