Gonzaga

953 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFA88
SFA88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34934063/sources-gonzaga-talks-big-12-joining-conference

This would be great for the Big-12 and further cement it as a powerhouse basketball conference. Would such a move entice Arizona to join the Big-12?

I still believe Oregon and Washington make a move after football season is over.
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34934063/sources-gonzaga-talks-big-12-joining-conference

This would be great for the Big-12 and further cement it as a powerhouse basketball conference. Would such a move entice Arizona to join the Big-12?

I still believe Oregon and Washington make a move after football season is over.

Sounds great, on the surface. I think it would be a disaster for Gonzaga. If it does happen, count on Seattle to the WCC.

Save SFA Abilene Tarleton and UTRGV a some travel bucks.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA88
It would certainly create a travel burden for them, more so for all their non-basketball sports than basketball. If geography is not considered, they seem to align best with the Big East (private catholic school that doesn't have football). Geographically they would fit in the Pac-12. But, I'm not sure the Pac-12 will be around much longer. Every school in the Pac-12 plays football. Cal and Stanford STRONGLY oppose having faith based schools in the conference.

Complete speculation on my part but what if the Big 12 added Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Arizona State along with Gonzaga? Those schools and Texas Tech would be able to cut down on travel. Tech would not have to go play WV every year.

I'm still frustrated with the Arizona schools and think they would be better off in the Mountain West for football. The Arizona schools are never going to spend enough money on football to be relevant.
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

It would certainly create a travel burden for them, more so for all their non-basketball sports than basketball. If geography is not considered, they seem to align best with the Big East (private catholic school that doesn't have football). Geographically they would fit in the Pac-12. But, I'm not sure the Pac-12 will be around much longer. Every school in the Pac-12 plays football. Cal and Stanford STRONGLY oppose having faith based schools in the conference.

Complete speculation on my part but what if the Big 12 added Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Arizona State along with Gonzaga? Those schools and Texas Tech would be able to cut down on travel. Tech would not have to go play WV every year.

I'm still frustrated with the Arizona schools and think they would be better off in the Mountain West for football. The Arizona schools are never going to spend enough money on football to be relevant.

Everything I've read indicates that the PAC 12 will extend invitations to Fresno, San Diego State UNLV and Boise. Mountain West probably counters with adding Texas State New Mexico State UTEP and possibly 1 more. Dominoes fall again. Where does SFA fall?
SFA88
BigJack85 said:

SFA88 said:

Everything I've read indicates that the PAC 12 will extend invitations to Fresno, San Diego State UNLV and Boise. Mountain West probably counters with adding Texas State New Mexico State UTEP and possibly 1 more. Dominoes fall again. Where does SFA fall?
I just don't think SFA is ready for a FBS conference. Beyond the investment in football, can you imagine CUSA baseball and softball playing at Jaycee fields? There are just too many facility improvements needed all so you can get your brains pounded in week after week for many years.

I would love to see it eventually but SFA seems so far away from anything like that.
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA88 said:

I just don't think SFA is ready for a FBS conference. Beyond the investment in football, can you imagine CUSA baseball and softball playing at Jaycee fields? There are just too many facility improvements needed all so you can get your brains pounded in week after week for many years.

I would love to see it eventually but SFA seems so far away from anything like that.

I agree, but neither is Sam or for that matter Kennesaw St, Jacksonville St, & NMSU (I realize that NMSU has been an FBS member for years) . If we don't move to FBS soon our avenues may close altogether. That would limit the growth of our MBB WBB WVB and other programs. I'm probably off base, but I believe there's a donor out there that would put the money ($25 million or so) into expanding the fieldhouse to get us close to FBS ready.

I remember (I'm sure you do) when we moved to D1. That was a perilous time. But we did and did it successfully. The move to FBS is only adding scholarships to ONE sport. Sure they'll be a drain in other areas but I feel like a move to the UT System will stabilize the university. Call me the "Eternal Optimist" but I have hope and ambitions for our university.
SFA88
You might be right. Goodness knows I am often wrong.

Yeah, I remember the move to D1 and the creation of the Gulf Star. I was so very happy to see it happen.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.