2022 NCAA FOOTBALL

15,725 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93
The New SBC officially starts today.

That's a pretty good football conference!

RichieVan
If geography doesn't matter, why would UCF and Cincinnati land elsewhere? Rutgers and Maryland will be playing UCLA and USC. The only move that would make sense is UCF and Cincy joining the ACC, but even the ACC is in perilous territory.
Big 12 will be a 14 team conference until 2025, and the Big 12 picked UCF because of the Orlando market.
SFASawmillGuy

If he's even a fraction of the player he was before I hope Carthel is doing his best to try and keep this man in purple.
BigJack85
RichieVan said:

If geography doesn't matter, why would UCF and Cincinnati land elsewhere? Rutgers and Maryland will be playing UCLA and USC. The only move that would make sense is UCF and Cincy joining the ACC, but even the ACC is in perilous territory.
Big 12 will be a 14 team conference until 2025, and the Big 12 picked UCF because of the Orlando market.

I feel what you are saying. I still believe regional rivalries matter. People you know in the area that went to opposing schools. In the end , some of this overblown and completely TV driven product is going to come under scrutiny by the viewer (why are we flying from LA to Baltimore for a beach volleyball match LOL. The WAC rationalized some of this by using divisions. I still think that makes good sense both athletically and academically.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
RichieVan
I agree with the thought, but it kind of clashes with current reality. They are all chasing the almighty buck. Full disclosure, I'm a UCF season ticket holder since my daughter goes there. My sense of the current situation is the Big 12 goes after Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah. After the 2023 season, the Pac 12 contract expires and there is no penalty to leave. On top of that, in 2024, the Big 12 TV contract goes out to bid. I think the Pac 12 is in big trouble and it may leave Washington and Oregon hanging because, if the Big 10 wanted those two schools, they would have been invited.
The merry-go-round is far from stopping.
BigJack85
RichieVan said:

I agree with the thought, but it kind of clashes with current reality. They are all chasing the almighty buck. Full disclosure, I'm a UCF season ticket holder since my daughter goes there. My sense of the current situation is the Big 12 goes after Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah. After the 2023 season, the Pac 12 contract expires and there is no penalty to leave. On top of that, in 2024, the Big 12 TV contract goes out to bid. I think the Pac 12 is in big trouble and it may leave Washington and Oregon hanging because, if the Big 10 wanted those two schools, they would have been invited.
The merry-go-round is far from stopping.

True. All true. What I am saying is, that at the FCS level regionalization makes more sense. MBB/WBB is a different story.
SFAXE93
$200 million dollars for some upgrades at Tech

"It will be the largest contiguous football complex in the country."

"Hocutt said the project is being funded in part by donors, in addition to the revenue stream from all the new premium seating areas in the south end building itself."
SFA Jack Fanatic
Constructed using alumni donations or is some Permian Basin crude oil income being used?
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
West Texas A&M would be a good fit or addition to the WAC.

They have a new 12,000 seat football stadium (Over 10,000 students)

Solid basketball programs for both men and women (Mark Kellogg coached there going 62-6)

The Men's program has a record of 210-50 record and 30-7 in the post season since 2014.
2022 - Second Round
2021 - Final Four (NCAA DII National Championship Game)
2020 - First Round
2019 - Elite Eight
2018 - Final Four
2017 - Second Round

LSC Tournament Champions (5 straight seasons 2018-2022)

The Women's program
2022 - Elite Eight
2019 - Second Round
2018 - Second Round
2017 - Elite Eight
2016 - First Round
2015 - Elite Eight
2014 - Final Four (NCAA DII National Championship Game)

LSC Tournament Champions (5 Times since 2014)

Volleyball
2021 - Elite Eight
2019 - NCAA Tournament 1st Round
2017 - Regional Finals
2014 - Regional Semi-Finals
2013 - Final Four
2012 - Elite Eight
2011 - NCAA Tournament 1st Round
2010 - NCAA Tournament 1st Round
2009 - Final Four (National Championship Game)

Cross Country
Lone Star Conference Championship in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.
The men have qualified for the national championships every year since 2013.
Have their own cross country course, called "The Range"

Track & Field
West Texas A&M Women's Outdoor Track & Field won the 2017 National Championship.

The Women's Indoor Track & Field team won the 2018 National Championship.

Baseball
LSC Tournament Champions 2016, 2017, 2019 (Regular season Champions 2021)

Softball
2X Division II National Champions (2014, 2021)
In the post season every year since 2010

Soccer

2021: 14-6; 9-4
2020: 6-4; 4-1 (LSC Semi-Finals)
2019: 10-8; 9-4
2018: 15-4-3; 10-1-1; NCAA Quarterfinals
Have not had a losing season since 2014
BigJack85
I agree. Have you listened to the recent interview with the president of WTAM? He (WTAM PREZ) is vocally opposed to moving to D1.
SFAXE93
That's a shame, as they have been Division II since 1986 (They were Division I members from 1973 through 1985 before dropping back down in 1986) and seem prime to make the move up.
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

That's a shame, as they have been Division II since 1986 (They were Division I members from 1973 through 1985 before dropping back down in 1986) and seem prime to make the move up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the WAC made that call (to WTAM) about 1-1/2 years ago. Natural fit. Maybe they will have a leadership change….
SFA88
Those four Pac12 schools is what's being reported by local Phoenix and Tucson reporters too. Michael Crow, president of ASU, has always toed the Pac12 line, however and the ASU AD is a Standford grad. Arizona has enjoyed the Pac12 for basketball but they play a tough non-conferance schedule and would be a good fit in the Big12 in basketball.

The Arizona schools are in a tough spot because, although there is some loyalty to the Pac12, they don't want to be left holding the Pac12 bag and looking like dolts if Oregon and Washington leave. There doesn't seem to be as much clamor for Oregon and Washington as one might think. Oregon still has Nike money coming in and they have loyal national fans but the TV market is pretty small. Washington is a much better TV market.

Phoenix is slightly bigger than Philly but the metro area has about 5 million making it much smaller than somewhere like the Philadelphia metro area or Houston metro area. Phoenix DOES have a bunch of former midwesterners which could be a double edge sword when looking at TV revenue (which is what all this is about. It's ESPN vs Fox Sports).
SFA88
BigJack85 said:

SFAXE93 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the WAC made that call (to WTAM) about 1-1/2 years ago. Natural fit. Maybe they will have a leadership change….

Man, they really are a good fit and primed to move up. You're right. It's too obvious for the WAC.
Surely, they made that call. Maybe WTAM likes dominating DII or doesn't want the extra expense of DI, hard to say.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA88 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Man, they really are a good fit and primed to move up. You're right. It's too obvious for the WAC.
Surely, they made that call. Maybe WTAM likes dominating DII or doesn't want the extra expense of DI, hard to say.

Truthfully that's why NDSU doesn't move up. Not the only reason. But a big reason.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
A&M getting a new indoor football facility.

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
WALTER PAYTON AWARD WATCH LIST 2022

LIST

SELF TO GIPSON FOR A TD - YDS:1,067;TD:28 (ALMOST 40 YARDS PER CATCH)
SFAXE93
The best season-opening matchups up in the FCS.
SFA88
cboothe09 said:

If I'm the Big 12 I'm calling Arizona and Arizona State at a minimum. Might mess around and call Utah being BYU is now on board.
If geography really doesn't matter, the PAC and Big 12 should consider a merger. Help UCF and Cincy land elsewhere, and push to merge. The ACC is desperate now, maybe they take those two on…

This is a late response but reports are that BYU wanted into the Pac-12 for many years but Utah always blocked it. BYU may well return the favor.

Utah has a great program under Whittingham. They focus on tough line play but haven't had the QB to get it done.
SFAXE93
North Alabama is officially Division I
SFAXE93

SFAXE93
Stats Perform FCS Preseason Top 25

1. North Dakota State (14-1, 7-1 Missouri Valley), 1,348 points (52 first-place votes)
Season Opener: Sept. 3 vs. Drake
2. South Dakota State (11-4, 5-3 Missouri Valley), 1,285 (2)
Season Opener: Sept. 3 at Iowa
3. Montana (10-3, 6-2 Big Sky), 1,218
Season Opener: Sept. 3 vs. Northwestern State
4. Montana State (12-3, 7-1 Big Sky), 1,203
Season Opener: Sept. 3 vs. McNeese
5. Missouri State (8-4, 6-2 Missouri Valley), 1066
Season Opener: Sept. 1 at Central Arkansas
6. Villanova (10-3, 7-1 CAA), 997
Season Opener: Sept. 2 vs. Lehigh
7. Sacramento State (9-3, 8-0 Big Sky), 991
Season Opener: Sept. 3 vs. Utah Tech
8. Kennesaw State (11-2, 6-0 Big South), 959
Season Opener: Sept. 1 at Samford
9. Southern Illinois (8-5, 5-3 Missouri Valley), 915
Season Opener: Sept. 3 at UIW
10. Stephen F. Austin (8-4, 4-2 ASUN-WAC), 813
Season Opener: Aug. 27 vs. Jacksonville State (in Montgomery, Alabama)
11. ETSU (11-2, 7-1 Southern), 750
Season Opener: Sept. 1 vs. Mars Hill
12. Chattanooga (6-5, 5-3 Southern), 562
Season Opener: Sept. 3 vs. Wofford
13. Eastern Washington (10-3, 6-2 Big Sky), 538
Season Opener: Sept. 3 vs. Tennessee State
14. UIW (10-3, 7-1 Southland), 533
Season Opener: Sept. 3 vs. Southern Illinois
15. Jackson State (11-2, 8-0 SWAC), 515
Season Opener: Sept. 4 vs. Florida A&M (in Miami Gardens, Florida)
16. Holy Cross (10-3, 6-0 Patriot), 503
Season Opener: Sept. 2 at Merrimack
17. Southeastern Louisiana (9-4, 6-2 Southland), 440
Season Opener: Sept. 3 at Louisiana
18. UT Martin (10-3, 5-1 Ohio Valley), 404
Season Opener: Sept. 1 vs. Western Illinois
19. Delaware (5-6, 3-5 CAA), 401
Season Opener: Sept. 3 at Navy
20. Weber State (6-5, 5-3 Big Sky), 391
Season Opener: Sept. 1 vs. Western Oregon
21. Northern Iowa (6-6, 4-4 Missouri Valley), 289
Season Opener: Sept. 3 at Air Force
22. Rhode Island (7-4, 4-4 CAA), 242
Season Opener: Sept. 1 at Stony Brook
23. Mercer (7-3, 6-2 Southern), 215
Season Opener: Aug. 27 vs. Morehead State
24. Richmond (6-5, 4-4 CAA), 166
Season Opener: Sept. 3 at Virginia
25. UC Davis (8-4, 5-3 Big Sky), 153
Season Opener: Sept. 3 at California
Others Receiving Votes (schools listed on two or more ballots): South Dakota (7-5, 5-3 Missouri Valley) 151, Eastern Kentucky (7-4, 4-2 ASUN-WAC) 129, Florida A&M (9-3, 7-1 SWAC) 78, William & Mary (6-5, 4-4 CAA) 66, Dartmouth (9-1, 6-1 Ivy) 59, Monmouth (7-4, 6-1 Big South) 23, Harvard (8-2, 5-2 Ivy) 19, Princeton (9-1, 6-1 Ivy) 18, Central Arkansas (5-6, 3-3 ASUN-WAC) 14, Furman (6-5, 4-4 Southern) 14, South Carolina State (7-5, 5-0 MEAC) 13, Sacred Heart (8-4, 6-1 Northeast) 12, Elon (6-5, 5-3 CAA) 8, North Carolina A&T (5-6, 3-4 Big South) 4
SFASawmillGuy
This is not a great look for Sam, it sounds like they jumped to the FBS with virtually no plan to help themselves out, something I was worried about. This is why the jump should happen, but not yet. It should've been a 10 year plan at minimum. If they turn out like TXST hopefully we learn from them and prepare a lot more before we try to do the same.

SFAJack_76
Interesting.
ReeJo919
damn colleges make too much profit man. how can they have facilities all over the country better than most of the world private sports industry. its a center for education. crazy priorities.
SFASawmillGuy
Most of the money for these come from donations specifically for athletics. That's what SFA has used for the majority of its athletic upgrades the past decade(and throughout history), and what everyone else uses. Athletics in general is not incredibly profitable for the school on its face due to high marketing costs. It's all the alumni support.
SFAXE93
Official AFCA USA Today Sports Coaches Poll out

https://www.afca.com/polls/

10.) SFA
RV.) CENTRAL ARKANSAS
RV.) EASTERN KENTUCKY
RV.) UTAH TECH
SFAXE93
Let's see which Texas team will be the last one standing this season.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Just curious... Why is TJC in there?
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Just curious... Why is TJC in there?
Not the only Juco on there.
SFAXE93

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.