Possible Elimination of Standardized College Entrance Test Scores for Athletes

1,160 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ljacks&Longnecks
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
An NCAA panel is recommending the elimination of standardized test scores (ACT and SAT) for HS athletes seeking enrollment into D-I and D-II schools. The recommendation would have to be voted on by the full NCAA.

I am 100% opposed to this! Sure, doing so might get a few more low IQ athletes into colleges with better athletic programs, but the chances of their future success in college classrooms and thereafter would still be slim (and none in the majority of cases).

It's a rather obvious attempt at further dumbing down of college athletics in pursuit of a few more wins on the playing fields or courts.
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The articles I read about this give the reasons or explanations about why the NCAA is wanting do go this route. I don't want to stir up any political business here so let me throw out some things that probably were not considered when it comes to these athletes.

First, who is going to help guide these athletes through the college experience and ways of life? Those whose test scores would have left them ignored or maybe Juco route, who or what will be in place to avoid them being abused then forgotten? We know that colleges will dive in for great athletes whose lacking test scores would have had them off limits.to get them on the field or courts. but who or what will be in place to actually further a college life and career? A system already rife with abuse gets another outlet.

Some would say that athletes in high school and college are already a "special " group. Somewhat of a generalization perhaps but I believe many of us saw through high school and on to college that at least some athletes were treated far differently than the regular student body and were pandered to and allowed many "perks " due to their status on the playing field. Not all of course but still a common pattern. Bias applies to other aspects in life.

And y'all think that college faculties dislike athletes and the money spent there now........
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.