Tarleton State - Billy Gillespie

3,777 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tarleton is taking a real interesting path to D1 basketball. All in on a guy that has a less than stellar reputation. Good luck.
SFA Jack Fanatic
With the recent announcement of huge reductions in NCAA kickbacks to schools, I'm wondering if Tarleton is starting to regret hitching their wagon to the WAC, which is spread over half the country. Their travel budget is going to take a brutal beating. (Personally... not sorry.)
BigJack85
Agree 100%. I think they'll end up in the SLC sooner than later. Just hope that we can pitch out a couple along the way.
Pilotgirl
They are going to regret hiring him....100%
cboothe09
The man has had his demons in the past, but he is a heckuva coach. Made A&M and Tech more than respectable at a time where they were a laughing stock...He seems to have gotten his problems under control and is just coaching again. He was 28-3 this year and the #9 seed at the National Tournament at Ranger College.

If he can maintain sobriety, this can be a scary good hire for Tarleton...
Pilotgirl
We shall see how well your post ages...
BigJack85
I think Billie can make an impact. It seems to me that Tarleton is going to focus on football first. That doesn't mean they won't get good at basketball out of the gate but I could see them being respectable in a few years. The WAC is really just trash outside of New Mexico St and Grand Canyon.

For the record I'd rather have Tarleton than any of - - - UIW, HBU and ACU. Not even sure why they didn't get in before instead of the private parts. Errrr schools I mean.
cboothe09
Replace Grand Canyon with Cal Baptist and I agree with you.

I think he can do very well. He has proven to be an excellent coach and he is in a low pressure situation. Like you said, the focus is on football first, with basketball being an afterthought. The problem I see is that he is close to home and nothing can bring out old demons like a familiar place...
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

Replace Grand Canyon with Cal Baptist and I agree with you.

I think he can do very well. He has proven to be an excellent coach and he is in a low pressure situation. Like you said, the focus is on football first, with basketball being an afterthought. The problem I see is that he is close to home and nothing can bring out old demons like a familiar place...

My reasoning for Grand Canyon is their consistent success over the past 7 - 8 years. Cal Baptist has only had one or two "good seasons". Cal Baptist has been a D1 program for 2 seasons.......
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I think Billie can make an impact. It seems to me that Tarleton is going to focus on football first. That doesn't mean they won't get good at basketball out of the gate but I could see them being respectable in a few years. The WAC is really just trash outside of New Mexico St and Grand Canyon.

For the record I'd rather have Tarleton than any of - - - UIW, HBU and ACU. Not even sure why they didn't get in before instead of the private parts. Errrr schools I mean.
I don't agree with ACU being lumped in with HBU and UIW. ACU is comfortably in the top quarter of SLC programs.
TallTexan
I do like ACU.

After SFA, they're the next most likely school to move up in this entire conference.

You'd think it would be Sam, but attending one football game a year isn't a fanbase.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.