2020 Southland Football

13,841 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFASawmillGuy
The Big 10 conference announced they'll be playing only conference games this season.
nacluth
Tech NFL hopeful to SELA.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/02/texas-tech-football-houston-miller-nfl-draft-transfer-to-fcs-school/
SFASawmillGuy
More than likely unreported discipline issues in Lubbock that would've kept him from being able to compete for a spot on a big time program.

Still, strange he chose SELA of all places to land instead of a potential FCS champion. Not saying we had a better chance at him but I'm sure an NFL hopeful would've been targeted by some bigger name FCS programs.
SFAXE93
Central Arkansas
Nicholls
Southeastern Louisiana
Sam Houston State

Those teams look to be the favorites among many discussions in the FCS.

Some were wondering about Nicholls due to the graduation of senior QB Chase Fourcade.

They could be looking at transfer Lindley Scott Jr. 5-11; 222 (Sr.) out of Zachary Louisiana to take over.

He was the 2015 Gatorade Louisiana POY winning the 5A State Title at Zachary High. Scott was also named Mr. Football in the state of Louisiana and was a 2X Class 5A Offensive MVP in the state.

He was also rated the #1 QB in the state coming out of high school and #28 overall duel threat QB in the nation.

Scott was offered by over 15 schools including LSU where he decided to sign with and he sat out his freshman with a redshirt.

Then he transferred to East Miss. CC where he lead the program to a JUCO National Championship in 2017 with 4,210 total yards of offense and 35 total TDs.

Went back to the SEC when he transferred to Missouri where he was only on the scout team.

Now at Nicholls where he transferred in 2019 where he sat out due to transfer rules.

This guy is a gamer and has a nice touch on the pass.

SFAXE93
Nicholls gets a nice donation.

https://www.houmatoday.com/news/20200803/businessman-who-gave-nicholls-its-biggest-single-donation-revealed
BigJack85
So.... Nicholls receives $2.5 million to build a $6.5 end zone complex. I'm guessing... just guessing that SFA received $5-$6million as a cornerstone for building the basketball training facility. I would be interested if anyone knows what the actual $$$ donated.

At any rate I'm guessing a $6-$8 million donation (or more) to build a $18-$20 million end zone facility? Do you think I'm off.
TallTexan
18-20 mil would build quite the end zone project.

I know Ivey's been talking about a public private partnership for getting an indoor training facility. I wonder how that's going.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76

cboothe09
Hearing rumblings that Sammy may not be playing in the spring either. Something weird going on over there...
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Hearing rumblings that Sammy may not be playing in the spring either. Something weird going on over there...

Whoa. That'd be big news.
TallTexan
Who's the 15th?

TallTexan
Might be NDSU.

Pretty incredible how UCA's on field success has led to them getting some marquee games.
SFASawmillGuy
HBU and UIW are receiving votes in the top 25 but we aren't.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

What planet is this?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Say what?!?!
BigJack85
These polls have become less and less of a barometer in the preseason.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
To be fair, we would've beaten UTEP with how well we played this week.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

To be fair, we would've beaten UTEP with how well we played this week.
Agree.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy
Football ending in may and starting back up in august is gonna be stupid for the players health.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Well, our coaching staff will have lots of in-person scouting opportunities.
CertifiedAxeman98
I really like what we did by scheduling a bunch of games in the fall. Our guys are getting a lot of great playing time this fall and will be rested and ready to go next fall.
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I really like what we did by scheduling a bunch of games in the fall. Our guys are getting a lot of great playing time this fall and will be rested and ready to go next fall.

I agree, so far as fall football is likely as safe as spring football. I'm timidly optimistic.

It is turning out to be a great marketing opportunity though..4 FBS teams in a season so far? Getting on national TV when our biggest rival isn't even playing? That's going to be good for recruiting.

Tbh, each week is a gift and so long as we're keeping our guys safe from this disease, I'll be happy to tune in.

Let's hope this is the season that built the foundation.

If our football team is cooking at the same time that men & women's basketball & volleyball are, the sky is the limit for this athletic department.
SFAJack_76
It will be interesting to see which seniors choose to take advantage of this "freebie" year and come back next year. We had freshman that had to play last year that normally would redshirt. Since this year doesn't count as a year of playing, this is essentially their redshirt year. Look at all the sophomores playing, that for eligibility will be sophomores next year. Of course, all schools get that, but for our brutally young team, this is huge. 47 of the 68 that have gone to the first two games are freshmen or sophomores. This time next year, they will still be freshmen or sophomores. And, unlike many others, they will have gone through a normal football calendar.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
UCA loses to EKU 31-28 on a last second TD pass.

EKU made some great adjustments during the season after starting so badly.

We will have a battle in Richmond.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAJack_76
The ACU win was #500 for them. Good day for SFA, ACU, and UCA.
SFAJack_76
Even more appreciate that our folks got ten gams in.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.