Texas Southern to the SLC?

4,304 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Not sure exactly where this rumor is coming from. But IF the SLC needed to add another school(it doesn't), i'd rather it be another D1 school, and being in Houston would be good for exposure.
TallTexan
I'm not opposed to adding TSU.

But the conference already has what, 13 schools? Sure, 14 wouldn't be much different, but do we need another school?

I'd take TSU over 2 or 3 of our current teams, that's for sure.
BigJack85
We don't need TSU like we don't need UIW,HBU and UNO. UIW and HBU belong in the WAC.... UNO doesn't belong in Division 1. Just my opinion. We'd be better served without the two privates and UNO that hasn't stepped up from a budget perspective. Tarleton and Oral Roberts make more sense than those three previously mentioned or TSU.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
Matt pointed out that when this surfaced on Twitter last night, that UIW commonly does better than Nichols & thus we should keep UIW over Nicholls.

And to be honest, I don't hate that idea.
SFASawmillGuy
In my opinion, TSU is not a bad add.
Tarleton makes more sense but beyond them we need another D1 program, and both us and them could benefit from them.
First of all, BBVA would be the best football facility in the conference. Probably would be closed to selling out for a SFA , Lamar, or SHSU home game because of the fan base and proximity.
Secondly is the exposure. Houston is one of our biggest markets. So having potentially 2 games a year there for each sport (or one bi-yearly for football) would be absolutely invaluable to our recruiting.
Thirdly, they're not terrible. In fact. They already compete as a good basketball school and in all sports could build credibility to the conference in terms of competition in all sports.
I think it wouldn't be bad. A 14 team conference might be a bit much. And certainly HBU doesn't belong. But I wouldn't be opposed to TSU throwing themselves into our conference.

NO MORE THOUGH.
TallTexan
I wonder what would have them wanting to get out of the SWAC?

I definitely don't think they're a bad addition. I'd love to have them actually. I just don't trust the conference commissioners to do anything strategically.
CertifiedAxeman98
I don't mind the add. They are already FCS and D1 basketball. Their basketball team has been at the top of the SWAC for awhile now so that adds to beef up the terrible basketball play in the SLC. Another close road game for me to go to.

I do agree that any team added should be held to certain standard when it comes to facilities and I feel that some schools that were recently added are really lacking in facilities (HBU, HS gym and half a football stadium).

I think eventually SFA should move up conferences to an FBS level school the next time there is a big conference realignment (when the big 12 tv deal is up). They probably should consider going with another school (maybe SAM if they can get their facilities up to a higher standard). Hopefully by then Carthel has our football team winning at a high level.
nacluth
They can take our place after Carthel has us bowl eligible and we're in the top 16 basketball programs in the US.
SFAJack_76
Good news relative to Nicholls.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.