2019 NCAA Tournament

21,788 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Purdue got it!
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Purdue got it!
That was a fun ending. Wish that Tech/Michigan wasn't going to end at 11:30 tonight. I'd like to catch that one.
PurpleOut
Staff
That second half was fun to watch, and was then dismantled by terrible officiating.

Tennessee fans should be pissed. The foul called at the end of regulation was awful. Literally no contact, other than Edwards sticking out his leg to initiate it. And Purdue gets a free timeout to draw up that play (when they were out of timeouts) due to a clock review.

nacluth
After Des' play, I cannot question how a foul is called outside the arc.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Duke is living right! Wow! Heartbreaking for Va Tech.
sfa17
Sometimes the world is unfair. Hopefully they don't win it all
TallTexan
This Tech/Gonzaga game is fun to watch.
TallTexan
Also, watching this Tech defense makes me miss when ours was one of the nastiest in the country.
Pilotgirl
I'm nervous & don't know why lol
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

I'm nervous & don't know why lol

That was a heck of a game.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Also, watching this Tech defense makes me miss when ours was one of the nastiest in the country.

This is what I want from our defense! I know the offense will have bad nights but defense is about effort.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

This is what I want from our defense! I know the offense will have bad nights but defense is about effort.

One of the most glaring differences and issues this season. Our "disruption" is what ends up running a lot of our offensive power. When you're not getting the steals and turnovers that you rely on, you're in trouble.
nacluth
Got to say I didn't expect Tech to make the final four after their elite 8 run last year. They have a legitimate shot at the title. I kind of expect the winner of the Auburn/Virginia game to win it all, but really all four teams have the goods to finish.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Got to say I didn't expect Tech to make the final four after their elite 8 run last year. They have a legitimate shot at the title. I kind of expect the winner of the Auburn/Virginia game to win it all, but really all four teams have the goods to finish.

I think they replaced 5 seniors. Pretty impressive.
PurpleOut
Staff
Coach Beard is one of my favorite coaches in all of basketball. Crazy that he was coaching at Angelo State just a few years ago.

When he switched up from the UNLV job a few years ago, I knew he'd be good, but I didn't think it would be this fast. He has a masters from ACU, and was a GA there.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Have these not been the best Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight games ever?!?! So much excitement down to the final seconds in so many games!

BTW, in watching these games, another glaring deficiency that becomes obvious about this past SFA team was the lack of speed. The guards in these games can get out on the break and drive to the basket blazingly fast! We'll see if SFA can improve on that next year. I wonder if Cam Johnson can fill that bill?
nacluth
So I believe Virginia is the better team, but they got too emotional when they got up 10 with 4 left and sunk their game. Auburn did what they had to and won the game, but then of course they didn't. A bunch of remarkable play that saw the luckier team win. Virginia is everything Dannyball wants to be.
TallTexan
Wonder if we'll see SFA play in one of these games in the next 20 years.
No-look
TallTexan said:

Wonder if we'll see SFA play in one of these games in the next 20 years.
No doubt...
nacluth
Tech getting out in front with about 10 left. If they win, that will be a defensive powerhouse of a final. Race to 55.
sfa17
And no one and done players. I don't think there has been a single one and done player in a championship game since DUke in 2015
SFASawmillGuy
Can we just talk about how we very nearly beat the team playing for a national title last season?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Southland beats the ACC this morning in the 3X3! Cameron Delaney was hot. Shannon was not (2 for 13 overall and 1 for 9 from long distance). Move on to the Quarterfinals.

Oops. Should have put this on the other thread. Sorry.
sfa17

And Zaire Smith from last season was a 3 star who is in the NBA and Culver is next
SFAJack_76
On the women's side, quite a final four also. I always have a tough time being for Baylor in anything, but better them than ND. Also, really wanted them to win after Cox went down with the knee. Now, if Tech can make it a Texas sweep, that would be nice.
nacluth
Good read about Virginia.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/04/07/what-got-you-here-wont-get-you-there-the-inside-story-of-how-umbc-changed-virginia/
SFAJack_76
Not NCAA, but a different final four. (Looks like some serious foreign recruiting.)
https://www.utrgv.edu/newsroom/2019/04/07-utrgv-chess-team-defends-national-title-for-second-win-in-president-s-cup.htm
nacluth
My brother is a chess player. He and I have talked several times about how aggressive recruiting overseas has brought a lot of talent to the US. For a long time, we have been on the back foot in the world scene, but now the US has the strongest team mainly through pulling talent here when they were young.
TallTexan
Tech is getting some serious mileage out of grad transfers this season.
No-look
Tech can't keep leaving Guy open. He will kill them.
nacluth
Great game. Virginia and Tech are both fun to watch. Guess it's up to SFA to be the first Texas National Champs in over 50 years.
PurpleOut
Staff
Really fun game, great matchup. Really feel for kids like Mooney tonight.
No-look
Tech was up by three with 22 seconds left and left corner guy WIDE open. You gotta cover the outside shooters. If you have to give up something in the paint your still up one.
SFA Jack Fanatic
And so ends the best three weeks of March Madness that I've ever seen. I can't recall seeing so many games that went down to the final seconds, especially among the final 16 teams. March Madness is the best sporting event in the world, in my opinion.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

And so ends the best three weeks of March Madness that I've ever seen. I can't recall seeing so many games that went down to the final seconds, especially among the final 16 teams. March Madness is the best sporting event in the world, in my opinion.
100%.

Everyone has their own opinion, but there's not a sporting event that comes close to the NCAA Tournament for me. The first two rounds this year were fairly blah to the casual fan, but it set up so many ridiculous matchups from the Sweet 16 on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.