Rivalry Talk

3,617 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigJack85
CLHawkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UCA is striking up a new official rivalry with UALR. They play each other in all sports but football. I think a year long competition like a mini comissioner's cup would be cool for us. If not with Sam what other in-state school do you think this would make sense with? Or are there any? Maybe TXST?

BigJack85
It's going to be Sam or Lamar.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
Awesome idea...
SFAJack_76
I like it. Needs to be with a non-conference school. I think La. Tech would be fun. Ruston is just over a 2 1/2 hour drive from Nac.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

I like it. Needs to be with a non-conference school. I think La. Tech would be fun. Ruston is just over a 2 1/2 hour drive from Nac.
Ya, I like the idea of a non-conference school too. We have conference standings against Sam and Lamar... for now. When we get a CUSA invite, perhaps we'll schedule one with Sam .

LA Tech would be great. Rice & Arkansas State could also be fun for annual matchups. Could always do Texas State too.
CLHawkins
Yeah I think it has to be non-conference for it to make sense. The UCA-UALR rivalry is supposed to promote in state rivalry which I think is good. That's why for us I think a TXST, UTA, or UNT would be a good fit.
BigJack85
I doubt any of those mentioned would be interested.
TallTexan
TX State would be a good fit marketing wise because so many people down in Austin/San Antonio have no clue who SFA is.

I also like the idea of the Ark or Lousiana schools because you can call it the border battle or, specific to Louisana, the No Man's land war harkening back to the old Moderator/Regulator fights.
CLHawkins
You may be right, but I don't know why they wouldn't be. None of the schools mentioned have really had any significant recent success in athletics so any attention something like this would garner would be a good thing.
SFAJack_76
Texas State was my first thought, but Ruston is two hours closer. Back in the day, SFA/La Tech had a real women's basketball rivalry. Those were some battles with great crowds.
BigJack85
Institutional ego is part of this. I think we could establish one with ULM but for what reason. It would be a fabricated rivalry. I'd like to see SFA Lamar and Sam all look for a better alignment. It really disappoints me that UIW HBU and ACU are in the SLC. Only ACU makes any sense. If we had only admitted one we'd probably still have Oral Roberts which brought a solid baseball program and a market (Tulsa) that it actually got some coverage.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.