McNeese State

4,522 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Upping their game in basketball, we better keep up in facilities.

http://www.mcneesesports.com/galleries/?gallery=331
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
PurpleOut
Staff
They've been needing new facilities for a LONG time. Their "arena" was arguably the worst in the league. Excited to see the finished product.Won't be very big, but they don't need it to be. The practice facility is the best part, and what I hope we have on the docket ASAP.
BigJack85
It's going to be nice but cozy based on the article I read about 6 months ago. I think our training facility (upcoming) along with the best arena in league will continue to give us a substantial advantage in recruiting. Axe 'Em Jacks!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
$45 million for the complex. Seating of 3,800 for basketball. To me, that means they never expect to have an SFA type program.

This is the conference we are in.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

$45 million for the complex. Seating of 3,800 for basketball. To me, that means they never expect to have an SFA type program.

I don't get it, what's bad about that? This will be one of the top venues and facilities in the league.
TallTexan
3800 seems like a good number. Being full, that'd be quite the crowd.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I don't get it, what's bad about that? This will be one of the top venues and facilities in the league.
It will be one of the best venues in the SLC, however that is not a very high bar with a few being not much more than glorified high school gyms. As long as SFA is part of the SLC, I want the other members to aspire to be one of the best mid-major athletic departments in the country also. The quality of the other member programs absolutely impacts SFA.

Over 40 years ago, SFA leadership had a vision for the successful Lumberjack program and growing women's basketball that led to a nearly 8,000 seat coliseum. For some time, that seemed like a great move and then the men's program went into the dumpster although the women's program became one of the best in the country often outdrawing the men. Probably, there were those that thought Johnson Coliseum had not been a good investment. Danny Kaspar returned the program to previous, and arguably higher, standards which Underwood and Keller have added to. If, over forty years ago the vision had been to build an arena better than Shelton but similar in size, would we be where we are today with a desire for even better results? My opinion is no.

No doubt what McNeese is building is going to be a great facility for the student body. My point was that I would have hoped they would have a bigger vision than a 3,800 seat arena. If they have no expectation to grow beyond the current 7,600 enrollment, it is probably just right. I am jealous of their nice, on campus, baseball and softball facilities.

Hope that helps.
TallTexan
I'd bet their goal is to try to fill it on a regular basis, rather than shoot for the stars. You've got to get to Atlantic 10 in conference prestige before they start to average more than 3800 per event, and that's probably all tickets sold, not attendance.

It's a shame, but the sporting landscape has changed quite a bit since the coliseum was built. Everyone, students included, might stay home to watch Netflix instead of attending every game. People may not have that local pride in their program anymore.

3800 people would be a packed house for McNeese, but only a half full crowd in WRJ. I think it's probably the right move for their program. Playing in an empty drum(Texas) makes the atmosphere seem dead.

That said, I'm glad SFA has a larger stadium, because I think SFA can fill it up & it positions us nicely when we can move into a better conference & should allow us to get better home games up until then because we can fill up a 6 to 7k person crowd.

PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

It will be one of the best venues in the SLC, however that is not a very high bar with a few being not much more than glorified high school gyms. As long as SFA is part of the SLC, I want the other members to aspire to be one of the best mid-major athletic departments in the country also. The quality of the other member programs absolutely impacts SFA.

Over 40 years ago, SFA leadership had a vision for the successful Lumberjack program and growing women's basketball that led to a nearly 8,000 seat coliseum. For some time, that seemed like a great move and then the men's program went into the dumpster although the women's program became one of the best in the country often outdrawing the men. Probably, there were those that thought Johnson Coliseum had not been a good investment. Danny Kaspar returned the program to previous, and arguably higher, standards which Underwood and Keller have added to. If, over forty years ago the vision had been to build an arena better than Shelton but similar in size, would we be where we are today with a desire for even better results? My opinion is no.

No doubt what McNeese is building is going to be a great facility for the student body. My point was that I would have hoped they would have a bigger vision than a 3,800 seat arena. If they have no expectation to grow beyond the current 7,600 enrollment, it is probably just right. I am jealous of their nice, on campus, baseball and softball facilities.

Hope that helps.
That's fair. I'll just agree to disagree. A new, almost 4,000 seat arena and state of the art practice facility is more than I could ask for if I'm a McNeese fan right now. You don't need to have a big arena to achieve those types of goals. Exactly why Texas needs a 10k-12k arena and not a 16k arena, for example.
cboothe09
Just saw on Snapchat where the Houston Rockets are having training camp in Lake Charles, using McNeese's new facilities....
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Just saw on Snapchat where the Houston Rockets are having training camp in Lake Charles, using McNeese's new facilities....
Mannn, wish we could get something like that in Nac.
cboothe09
Get Tillman Fertitta to open a Golden Nugget or even a Landry's in Nac, and maybe we can make it happen...
PurpleOut
Staff
I agree. None of what the Rockets are doing is open to the public however, but still pretty cool for them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.