Southland Basketball Recruiting

4,720 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone looked into how the other Southland teams have faired in the recruiting for this year? Who should be the favorite? Top four picks?
BigJack85
The only thing I've seen was on 247 sports... I think. At any rate the article I saw rated our class tops in the SLC.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93

Jeremiah Jefferson will be at his 4th school in his 4th year.

Nicholls (Sr.)
Jackson State (Jr.)
Iowa Western CC (So.)
Weber State (Fr.)

G: Jaylan Robertson 6-1; 170 *** #51 PG; #11 State (NC) (So.)

F: D'Angelo Hunter 6-7; 200 *** #14 Nation #5 SF; #4 State (KY) JUCO (Sr.)
Offers from West Virginia, Utah State, ETSU, Eastern Kentucky, Troy, Southeast Missouri State, Buffalo, Manhattan, UTA, New Orleans, Iona, UT-Martin, Morehead State, Tarleton State

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAJack_76
How many of these have to sit a year?

PurpleOut
Staff
Jaylan Robertson (Coastal Carolina), Gavin Peppers (Central Michigan), D'Angelo Hunter (West Virginia) and Jeremiah Jefferson (Jackson State) will all be eligible but have just one year. Nicholls is playing a tricky game, they're killing it by most peoples view points with these transfer. But looking at it closer, they'll never all play together. Most will be gone next year, the others (Ross, Clareth) aren't playing this year.

Several are also coming with baggage. Jefferson as mentioned is on his 4th school, but Peppers is on his FIFTH school. Next up the father of D'Angelo Hunter (who was only at WVU one season and barely played), went on a twitter rant mid-season, destroying Coach Huggins and the WVU program. Not saying they won't be good or provide an impact at Nicholls, but just sayin.

No-look
What about Lamar? They lost a lot but seemed to have our number last year.
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

What about Lamar? They lost a lot but seemed to have our number last year.
They don't have a big class, mainly because they got a lot of transfers last year...which is what could make them good this year.
PurpleOut
Staff
Two different but similar threads going, but sometime soon I'm going to do a live Q&A on twitter. I'll give everyone a heads up, but would appreciate some activity/questions about anything SLC/CBB/Recruiting if you have a twitter account.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Two different but similar threads going, but sometime soon I'm going to do a live Q&A on twitter. I'll give everyone a heads up, but would appreciate some activity/questions about anything SLC/CBB/Recruiting if you have a twitter account.
Will do. Looking forward to it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Will do. Looking forward to it.
Me, too.
No-look
Yep
brlionfan44
Here is a look at the SLU class.

Ladner is super excited about the recruiting class that he brought in: a few tidbits from lionsports.net

Jeremiah Saunders

"Because of coach David Kiefer's work and effort, we were able to beat out much larger offers," Ladner said. "He's a high-level recruit that has a chance to be one of the best players in Southeastern history."

Tyron Brewer

Tyron Brewer, a member of the Mississippi Dandy Dozen and a three-star recruit (Scout), begins his college career at Southeastern after graduating from Meridian High School in Meridian, Mississippi.

"He's certainly one of our most high-profile signees," Ladner said. "I've got to give coach Kyle Roane the credit, targeting Ty early on and building a strong relationship. He's long, athletic and bouncy, and will make an immediate impact. He'll have a great career here at Southeastern."

Pape Diop

Pape Diop, a Senegal native, comes to Southeastern by way of Chipola College. As a freshman, the 6-foot-8 forward averaged 7.3 points and 4.4 rebounds per game. He shot better than 50 percent from the floor and was an 84 percent free-throw shooter.

"He's long and can really shoot the basketball," Ladner said. "Coming from one of the nation's top junior college programs, he'll still have three years left. It's the best of both worlds, a young man that already has college basketball experience at the highest level in junior college. He'll be able to assimilate faster to the Division I game."

Willie Lapoole

Willie Lapoole was an All-State performer at Ouachita Parish High School this past season, averaging 17 points, eight rebounds and three blocks as a senior.

"He's another long player at 6-foot-8 and fits our style of play," Ladner said. "I saw him play last year and love the progress he's made as well as his potential. He has the ability to shoot the ball and can make an immediate impact for us."

Thoughts about the class in general, 4 of which are high schoolers.

"Anytime you can get a high school player to come in, where we have a chance to build over the course of time, you can see the positive effects of us doing that with our program," Ladner said. "The fact we have a number of returners also affords us the time to develop those guys. We love the fact we can still go get a junior college guy, but our high school guys are certainly talented enough they'll be competing for playing time immediately. We're very excited about this class."

"This is the strongest class, on paper, that we've ever brought in," Ladner said. "We're really excited about that. Some guys adjust quicker to Division I than others, but we'll have most of our guys here for the summer."

Pilotgirl
What is your Twitter Handle? Want to make sure I follow you....I think I do but just in case
Pilotgirl
And playing with chemistry w/all those transfers, baggage & new coach.....hmmmm BIG GAMBLE
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

What is your Twitter Handle? Want to make sure I follow you....I think I do but just in case

@CBB_RunThePoint
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.